AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm getting real popular with this bacon! I'll have to figure it out. Never shipped meat before, I'm also in HI.

I have TB2 on hand, the situation I'm blaming on my own negligence. Honestly it's not that bad, just $15 work of MDF out the window and a minor amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
There's never anything wrong with trying a 2nd time.

I think the easiest way to do what you want is this -- use your FINGER to spread a thin layer of glue across both surfaces that will bond.
Then take one baffle, place it on top of the other, and gently slide them back and forth over each other (just an inch or two) so that the glue begins to stick together from both sides. Once this is done, they will stick together perfectly and can be clamped etc and you'll have a great bond. The trick imo is to rub the two baffles together once glued, and not to get lazy about application. Using a finger (or two) to quickly spread the glue evenly will give you a great bond. In the end, they are going to be bonded together with the sides/bottom, you'll have no resonances or anything else. GL!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So ordered a flush trim bit because my 1" diablo one chipped, talk about a downer. Anyways I got sent the wrong one, or I ordered the wrong one. Check out how massive this thing is! This thing is 2.5" in cutting length, gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about using it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update:

Test fitted baffles.

Got bracing done with one box.

Kids love playing with scrap more than their blocks and electronics. This eventually turns into them arguing over certain peices of scrap and me having to take them away.

Smoked a brisket for a party. No beer this time, been fighting off a migraine for a few days now.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
More progress, I ordered some veneer and picked up some sealer and pain for the front baffles. Thinking of making a ring for the speakers on the front baffle, it'll make the painting harder but I think it'll add some to the look.

Made some speakons with 12awg, this wire is tough to work with but the rigid'ness of the wire I think is worth it!

This is a life saver!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Looks great man I like that trim ring. My vote is to keep it. If you were thinking about changing it make it not as high if that's possible. Besides that the cabinet looks great.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks! I only have one peice of 1/2" scrap to try but my wife saw the one I made and said she really liked it.

Wife likes it over the 1/2" idea, the lady has spoken!

This is taking a while but I finally put my foot down and decided to ignore my other hobbies until this is done. I will re-wire my speakons with 16awg and move the 12 for internal. I'll parallel my speakers via the speakons.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The sub looks good with the trim ring around it from the picture you posted. What do you think if you put a 3/8ths round over on the inside edge of it. Also whats your plan once it's all glued down where you going to leave it the way it is or add some bondo or drywall mud all around the out side of ring to make a nice smooth transition up to the top of it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The sub looks good with the trim ring around it from the picture you posted. What do you think if you put a 3/8ths round over on the inside edge of it. Also whats your plan once it's all glued down where you going to leave it the way it is or add some bondo or drywall mud all around the out side of ring to make a nice smooth transition up to the top of it. Thanks

Honestly I was just going to primer and paint the front as is. The sides are going to get oak veneered but you gave me a new idea with the mud/bondo idea...

I was going to try the round over but I'm afraid the round over would bring the trim to a point. The outside has a 1/4" chamfer right now. I should try the round over. Tomorrow I'll try it and post it. It's already glued down.

I may smooth it out. Does bondo/mud paint well?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Honestly I was just going to primer and paint the front as is. The sides are going to get oak veneered but you gave me a new idea with the mud/bondo idea...

I was going to try the round over but I'm afraid the round over would bring the trim to a point. The outside has a 1/4" chamfer right now. I should try the round over. Tomorrow I'll try it and post it. It's already glued down.

I may smooth it out. Does bondo/mud paint well?

It's glued down now this is a hard one then I would hate to see something go wrong when your so far along maybe skip that part... I painted over drywall mud on every build I've done including the nearfield box I just got done painting today. Also long as the edges are really smoothed out your good to go just primer it first. The drywall Mud or what ever else you would use on it won't really have to come out to far to give it a nice transition right into the ring. If you pull it off man that would look really nice all painted. You see guys doing this all the time in the car audio forums and YouTube videos when there building door panels check out some of the videos first before trying it out. Either way if you do it or not it's still going to really nice and different than what we all see everyday. Kudos for that with the trim ring!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks again. I'll keep it without the round over. As for evening it out straight to the box I'll have to see. I ran through almost all of my mud finishing these boxes. There are only have small touch ups left so I'll have to run to the store for more to finish this.

I'm so excited to hook these up. As they are, all that's needed is the connector so I'm just making them look pretty now. The WAF isn't very demanding but I'm trying to NOT get on her bad side.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So, had to chisel a chamfer on. Wasn't hard, nor is it perfect.

you chiseled that by hand!?? :eek: It looks fantastic!

Where were you with this technique a month ago when I was just settling for the small chamfer the bit I had was capable of? That's exactly the look I wanted for the top of my subs, kind of a throwback homage to the classic Velodynes, but I didn't want to buy (and wait for) a new larger bit. Seriously, it looks great. These are going to be amazing when you get them painted.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

you chiseled that by hand!?? :eek: It looks fantastic!

Where were you with this technique a month ago when I was just settling for the small chamfer the bit I had was capable of? That's exactly the look I wanted for the top of my subs, kind of a throwback homage to the classic Velodynes, but I didn't want to buy (and wait for) a new larger bit. Seriously, it looks great. These are going to be amazing when you get them painted.

Sorry the top picture is routed and the bottom is chiseled. In the top you can see the feathering from the blade and bottom it's smoothed from chiseling.

Just draw two lines to the depth you want and chisel within them! You need a sharp and FLAT chisel to get it done though. I don't have a way to sharpen crap right now so mine took a while lol.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Ultra paint station, comes with a seating area and soft ground. It also comes with wind and death destroyers.

And a "death destroyer"

First coat, if I'm unhappy I'll strip it and restart but apart from some dark spots no drips or pooling.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
@Trimlock You must do this for a living:p Splendid craftsmanship;)

Reactions: Trimlock
21 - 40 of 77 Posts