AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Those will work fine. I personally try to get screws that are threaded all the way to the head but that's just me
Now that did worry me but the thread stops about 1/4" from the head.

It was either that or buy machine screws if I was going to go with t-nuts.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So some damage to the exterior and rush jobs ended up causing a rather "ok" finish to a fairly poor one. I'll refinish these or repurpose the boxes later. I still am enjoying the idea of turning them into a full 3 way with the concentrics. Either way they are ready for the drivers and to be placed. I just need to find some acoustic material to make grills, I have an idea with some ND magnets I picked up but no material near me :/

Oh yea I made a paddle totally by free hand and out of cheap HD pine 2x4's

Still need to add finish but life is super busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I plugged them in finally. Only single channel off of the 3000dsp. I have to admit I had a "holy ****!" moment when I played AWOL Nation - Sail. The bass detail makes the um18 look like a piece of cow poop.

I haven't stretched them yet. I'll run a few more songs and movies before I try to 400watts each, right now they may have gotten 200 max.

Oh and they are in the same place so obviously I didn't do placement. All my listening so far was in the middle of the room placement. I can't wait to try it stacked in the corner.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I plugged them in finally. Only single channel off of the 3000dsp. I have to admit I had a "holy ****!" moment when I played AWOL Nation - Sail. The bass detail makes the um18 look like a piece of cow poop.

I haven't stretched them yet. I'll run a few more songs and movies before I try to 400watts each, right now they may have gotten 200 max.

Oh and they are in the same place so obviously I didn't do placement. All my listening so far was in the middle of the room placement. I can't wait to try it stacked in the corner.

Beautiful work. Those are the magnum 12s!? They look big. What cuft is the box? How long is your port?

Reactions: Trimlock

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Beautiful work. Those are the magnum 12s!? They look big. What cuft is the box? How long is your port?

Yes, Magnum 12's. The box is 1.77cu/f minus the bracing, port and driver volume. Ported to 45hz and the length is posted earlier in the thread, I forget where sorry.

Eric did a great job with these, very good sound.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Yes, Magnum 12's. The box is 1.77cu/f minus the bracing, port and driver volume. Ported to 45hz and the length is posted earlier in the thread, I forget where sorry.

Eric did a great job with these, very good sound.

Nice! I'm looking at the 1 cuft box build. I've pretty much decided on these.

Reactions: Trimlock

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts

Did you try any movies with these yet?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Ill have a review on them quite soon using a 1 cu ft box tuned in the low 50s.
excellent! Please keep me posted! So vented? Also, music or movies or both?

·
Banned
168 Posts
I'm in the process of doing an MBM Super Tower. HT and speakers gets put on hold for summer so I will return to the project in early Fall/October. The boxes are built they need finishing loading stuffing and paint. Then they need to be actively tuned. I spent a really long time agonizing over where to tune these with the MBMs. Finally decided on 45 with encouragement from a few reputable folks here. I had to leave a little less than half of the drivers 1000w capability on the table in modeling as port size and velocity and excursion become limiting. To take nearly the hole KW of power the tune needed to be up around like 70. Couldn't have it all- hence speaker designs philosophy of constant trade offs. I opted for 600w and left the slightly less than 3db total max output for the sweet spot of 45-50hz. With a HP just below my guess is these will do an incredible job with fidelity and output. These will add the Mid Bass I'm looking for and take that challenge from my HT18 sealed boxes which will get crossed below. Planning on integrating a 88A with BM plug in to make it all work. Center will also incorporate these as well as the LR Mains. More to follow. Who knows maybe I'll pull them out and get them finished here in next few weeks. Love to see the other reviews. If there's interest I can share my modeling. Two of these in single chamber with 5.5" high by 13" wide port by if my memory serves 10" deep port (ended up being a right angle behind a driver) and ports are rear facing, due to lack of real estate on front of the box for such big ports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
High 40s is all. I may explore a bigger box version. We'll see what the testing reveals. Thats the whole point of testing :) Ill make a youtube vid.
"testing" what if you don't like them? is that something you can send back?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Well if I dont like them Ill be eating crow because Ive been promoting them for 2 years now lol. Im not sure what Erich would do if that were the case.
my case is "complicated" in that I want to compare them to the HST 11's. I'm wondering if the HST-11's will sound "tight". The YouTubes I've seen make them sound sloppy but it's a youtube and generally people are probably running them super hot to show off their new gear and show the surround vibrating..

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2890865-deceiving-youtubes-hst-11-a.html

Ideally, I want a sub that will sound like this: https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=subwoofer/model=seismic-110/page=specs

but won't cost $1650! The magnums might not go low enough and the HST-11's, I have no clue how those will sound!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts