AVS Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
@Trimlock

Will you be running any frequency sweeps with REW?

·
Banned
168 Posts
This driver is one of the finest here in our DIY world. That's of course my opinion. Biggest bang for the buck, but a very high quality heir end bang. It's a custom driver based on specs from a much more expensive B&C. It's the kind of driver you'd find in a JTR custom design manf'd by eminence. I own 10. I tested one. LCR duty for these. I'll be ordering 4 more for surround bottoms. Why? Because I love them. It's not a low freq sub. It's a midbass and "midlow" designed to cover 45-300hz. They've been used and employed low but the meat of these is 40-180 imho. They are optimum in a 3 way design, or as of course an MBM integrated into a full range design. This Fall my 10 and Ultimately my 14 drivers will be integrated into the system with a Dirac 88A with Bass Mgmt sharing the LFE content. several sealed HT18s for low end of the spectrum (MBM HPF around 40-50s. HT18s take the duty below). All MBMs will share LFE duty.

Tux, you're gonna love this. And they will perform well in the 1cu ft at least in modeling. My test box was 1.5 cu ft tuned to 45 and test was incredible. Imaging and detail still in tact with substantial chest slam action. It's got all the right specs for that and it does just that. The foam surround of course takes away a bit of the efficiency but allows more extension than a accordion would provide everything else being the same. B&C uses same concept in I think the BG100 (going off memory here).

Love these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Sorry to disappoint gentlemen but I won't be doing an REW sweep just yet. You wouldn't want one from me anyway. I'm still testing location and my room is an open floor with an open stairwell, it's a mess for bass. Not to mention the wall behind my MLP is cinderblock. Talk about boomy.

The goal for me (right now) is to tune them into a comfortable level, then later hopefully have a much more stable environment.

As for movies, I've only played back to the future. My kids love that movie and so does my inlaws (who are in town).

But I didn't actually build these for movies, the um18 is actually amazing for HT, in my opinion more so than these (so far). I built these for music primarily. I'll be integrating them with the UM18 for HT overall but I'm enjoying music right now.

Chainsmokers
Rihanna
Calvin Harris
21 pilots
Justin Timberlake
Bruno mars
Taylor swift
Etc.

That's my kids (yes I listen and jam out too...)

Tonight I covered almost every song from incubus and foo fighters.

I'm thinking of dropping my HPF to the 30's as I'm not getting very much cone movement right now. This weekend I'll rewire them to the 3000dsp in bridge mode and maybe smoke them a bit. These have big headroom on them and I'm barely poking them.

I already want two more. Damnit these sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
These aren't "true" MBM's yet. As I haven't tied them into the main channels. Right now they are being fed off of the LFE channel. I can't wait to splice these into my LR channels.

I'm sure that's what tux is going to do. These literally explode with music.

·
Registered
973 Posts
These aren't "true" MBM's yet. As I haven't tied them into the main channels. Right now they are being fed off of the LFE channel. I can't wait to splice these into my LR channels.

I'm sure that's what tux is going to do. These literally explode with music.

Do your mains currently get powered by an out board amplifier through the pre outs on your AVR? Care to explain how you are going to incorporate these into the mains?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Do your mains currently get powered by an out board amplifier through the pre outs on your AVR? Care to explain how you are going to incorporate these into the mains?

Nope, my last few pieces of equipment got stolen in a move so I bought an x1200(used) to tide me over. No pre outs.

Tux has a write up about how to incorporate MBM's. I plan to follow that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
This is kinda the question I was asking on the Facebook post yesterday. I think for music this is your best choice, as LFE channel is usually most active from movie content with a dedicated low-frequency channel. I believe most AVRs do not decode stereo information from a CD/Spotify/Whatever and put much of a single toward LFE. I'd also imagine your best 2-channel music listening might be best enjoyed in the "Pure Direct" mode.

I have a feeling once you get these tuned in how you want, you'll have kick and snare drum hits that make you involuntarily blink, and make your t-shirt move to the beat.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
+1

Nope, my last few pieces of equipment got stolen in a move so I bought an x1200(used) to tide me over. No pre outs.
Tux has a write up about how to incorporate MBM's. I plan to follow that.
is this the link?
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-diy-sound-group-loudspeakers-subwoofers/1934809-adding-mbm-mid-bass-module-your-diy-sound-group-speakers.html#post32661097

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
This is kinda the question I was asking on the Facebook post yesterday. I think for music this is your best choice, as LFE channel is usually most active from movie content with a dedicated low-frequency channel. I believe most AVRs do not decode stereo information from a CD/Spotify/Whatever and put much of a single toward LFE. I'd also imagine your best 2-channel music listening might be best enjoyed in the "Pure Direct" mode.

I have a feeling once you get these tuned in how you want, you'll have kick and snare drum hits that make you involuntarily blink, and make your t-shirt move to the beat.

Ah ok I was only half way understanding. I'm sure I can get most of this from the LFE still but I'd rather get the signal from the mains.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

I don't think the LFE channel is that limited but I still want to have them off the mains. I have been finding it super annoying to tune them in by ear when I'm sitting against a solid wall. I can't wait to move lol.

If I get more I'll probably build enclosures similar to mine, less involved but same size and tuning.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Wanted to give a shout out to LTD02 and Eric for all their help. I probably sent 100 emails to Eric and I bet he was getting sick of listening to me lol. LTD02 helped me out with the modeling when I apparently broke mine, he set me on the right path. I still can't get the port velocity to work right though! I blame Win10 :p

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Here I am to resurrect an old thread but @Trimlock after longtime use are you still thinking the MBM has more bass detail than a UM18?

The UM18 is sealed?

Thanks
My UM18's were sealed yes, in room response I was getting solid extension down to the mid teens in my room. My MBM's were ported to 42hz and high passed at 38 or 37.

I'm not sure what you mean by bass detail, the more sensitive drivers in the region we are talking about definitely has more dynamics to it mostly due to the more head room. I haven't used mine in half a year because I'm currently spending a year in a giant sand box. I love having a rising bass response starting around 150hz'ish and these do it better than the UM's can. The UM18 sounds fine btw, the mid bass is good but if you listen a lot to loud music (certain electronic music) there are better drivers for the situation. For HT purposes there is very little reason to use something else.

Benefits:
Greater head room
Less power compression
De-coupling FR from ULF to give greater room placement
More room to EQ

Cons:
Implementation isn't all that easy
Needs additional amplification

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info @Trimlock.

By bass detail I was referring to your post #47 were you said

"The bass detail makes the um18 look like a piece of cow poop"

I haven't heard either but I have a feeling a speaker like the magnum might have more clearly defined midbass than a driver with a heavier coil like the ultimax.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for the info @Trimlock.

By bass detail I was referring to your post #47 were you said

"The bass detail makes the um18 look like a piece of cow poop"

I haven't heard either but I have a feeling a speaker like the magnum might have more clearly defined midbass than a driver with a heavier coil like the ultimax.
oh haha I forgot I even put that, but yes the detail is better but really the um wasn't bad, it just was very sensitive.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts