AVS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is the first pair I've heard. Over the last few years I've only been listening to DIYSG theater lines and Klipsch KLF 30s
How do your 1099s compare to the KLF-30s? My dad happens to have a pair of KLF-30s so maybe your comparison would give me an idea of what they're like.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
If building a set of Helix's for 2-channel (with no sub), would you choose the MT or the MTM versions? Space is not a consideration so either would work where I'd place them.

Having never heard them I'm not sure as some speakers sound better in certain configurations. But from the few reviews that are online, both seem to get talked about pretty fondly.
The MTM's. Definitely. The MT's are.great but the MTM has a much better soundstage. The MTM is 4 Ohms though just FYI. I actually like that as it makes better use of my amplifier.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How do your 1099s compare to the KLF-30s? My dad happens to have a pair of KLF-30s so maybe your comparison would give me an idea of what they're like.
They are actually very similar. The KLFs were a bit brighter and had more bass. The 1099s were clearer. Voices sounded more natural.

Reactions: chadsmith013

·
Registered
369 Posts
The MTM's. Definitely. The MT's are.great but the MTM has a much better soundstage.
They are actually very similar. The KLFs were a bit brighter and had more bass. The 1099s were clearer. Voices sounded more natural.
Thanks for the comparison but I actually JUST placed an order for three Helix MTMs :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The MTM's. Definitely. The MT's are.great but the MTM has a much better soundstage. The MTM is 4 Ohms though just FYI. I actually like that as it makes better use of my amplifier.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

The soundstage is better on my MTM OS's vs the MT versions too. I was wondering if the Helix would be the same.

Also, anyone know if this is an "easy" 4 ohm load or not so much? I didn't know how Babgy classified his speakers as I've never built anything of his.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
The soundstage is better on my MTM OS's vs the MT versions too. I was wondering if the Helix would be the same.

Also, anyone know if this is an "easy" 4 ohm load or not so much? I didn't know how Babgy classified his speakers as I've never built anything of his.
Im sure its mostly because its a bigger speaker but the highs seem to be a little more focused on the MTM as well. Im not sure if they are an easy load or not. Ive only used them with good amps. I did try them with a Marantz sr8012 receiver and it was fine but thats a pretty beefy receiver.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My Monoprice level matching speaker switcher came in today. My wife and I listened to the Volt10s, Fusion10s and Helix MTs. We both had the same impressions. The Fusions had more high end and are better suited for larger rooms. The Helix had more bass and just sounded better. Neither of us can really explain why. But we both agree we'd rather have the Helix over the other two. She did not like the Volts at all. Sorry Chad, I know you love your Volts. I'll be selling my Fusions soon and building some Helix MTMs, well, depending on what these LaScala bookshelf speakers sound like if I can ever finish them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Attachments

Reactions: chadsmith013

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
My Monoprice level matching speaker switcher came in today. My wife and I listened to the Volt10s, Fusion10s and Helix MTs. We both had the same impressions. The Fusions had more high end and are better suited for larger rooms. The Helix had more bass and just sounded better. Neither of us can really explain why. But we both agree we'd rather have the Helix over the other two. She did not like the Volts at all. Sorry Chad, I know you love your Volts. I'll be selling my Fusions soon and building some Helix MTMs, well, depending on what these LaScala bookshelf speakers sound like if I can ever finish them.
maybe it was the bobo box the volt 10s were in??? :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
21 - 33 of 33 Posts