AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
Analysis Paralysis- many here would be concerned if you didn't have some "confusion"
(delivered Louis Black style)
They will be fairly close the MLP unfortunately (around 3' maybe 2'10")

while REQ, Audy xt32?, will set trims,

that's way tight . .

since we haven't any other info about the room
this may be the time to give us more specifics

Is that for 1 row of seats
or just 1 seat (FTR, I sit in the middle of my dual reclining love seat- and I love it)
those speakers sit under a 65" 4K HDR TV so I'm entertained

usually when folk have a tight spacing situation
the first recommendation to give up info about the room
and then
and you won't be the first or last

can your turn everything 90 degrees?

ow for that distance
if no ATMOS involved-yet
moving the SS up higher may help avoid hot spotting ,

you might consider Volt 6's or 8's for this specific room

as we don't know about your woofage,
all speakers will be set to small

said 6 /8's could eventually be moved to be your ATMOS layer

but most of the sound will be LCR so give that the priority

and

FTR, those HTM6's or HT6's will create a very deep , wide, high, wrap-around sound field given the right source.

like this on YT- Jamey Dupuis playing Europa on harp guitar

these are my V6's on my SCATMOS Array, on an 8" ceiling, in the corners of a 7 foot square- to fit the suggested angles and that's from late summer of 2014
as food for thought- and they work very very well from up there

try not to get any brain cramps from all of this

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Titan-818? :eek:

What? :eek:
Naturally, the paint isn't even dry on my 615's yet and they come out with something bigger and badder! :eek: Nah, just kidding. I'm already pushing the WAF to the limit with the 615's and those 818's are quite a bit bigger. I think I'll be happy for a while. But I can't wait to see some build threads of the 818's.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Titan-818? /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

What? /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif
Naturally, the paint isn't even dry on my 615's yet and they come out with something bigger and badder! /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif Nah, just kidding. I'm already pushing the WAF to the limit with the 615's and those 818's are quite a bit bigger. I think I'll be happy for a while. But I can't wait to see some build threads of the 818's.

I know right. I a m hopefully going to get started on my room this fall and i am hoping to run a set of titans. The issues i am looking at though is space. I would love to do the 818 but i don't think that i will be able to shoehorn them in. I am planning to lay a set of BMD OMEGA Devistators on their side under the screen and the lay a set of titans on their sides as that will be close to proper height. Seem that it is approved by the designer as a non issue so i should be good to go. Otherwise i would have to put the woofer over the horn section. The back up plan is a set of HTM12 but i really want the titans.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just want @EricH to Get more stuff in stock so I can round out the rest of my Home Theater. I already have the 1099’s up front as LCR, but I want the HT10 or HT12’s as my side and back surrounds and some volts for atmos duties. But there isn’t anything available now. 😞

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wrong thread maybe, but you guys are making me question my plan: you think it's OK to use HTM-12 as LCR and HT-8 as surrounds? I have yamaha(I think) in ceilings for atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wrong thread maybe, but you guys are making me question my plan: you think it's OK to use HTM-12 as LCR and HT-8 as surrounds? I have yamaha(I think) in ceilings for atmos.

Direct quote from Matt Grant:
"There is very little difference between the HT-8 and HTM-8, this is partly why the smaller HTMs have been phased out. Voicing on the HT series is also extremely similar to HTM so there is no issue using HTM-12 LCR with HT surrounds."

It should work out great for you! In a dedicated space the HT-8's appear to be an ideal speaker for surrounds and honestly even for LCR.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think this new horn and mid might just do the deed. Or wake the dead. :)

I can fit the horn and a 15" woofer.

Will there be a design that has the new horn and a 15" woof?

The 15" woooof version might sell more than the 18"?

The crazies that want the 18" version will likely want a dual 18" version, but that is really silly.... Unless a very large room.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@asarose247
It will be in a living room open to the kitchen/dining room and therefore no wall to mount the surrounds on. They would have to be placed on end tables or stands behind the couch (which my wife and I don't really want due to looks even though the sound would benefit greatly). I'm starting to think that in ceiling volts or putting the HT's in ceiling will be the way to go for surrounds. 9' 1" ceiling height will allow the speaker to be almost 6' away from our ears which is much better than 3'. I've never heard surround channels mounted in ceiling before other than for atmos duty so I'm not 100% sure how it will compare. From things I've read people say it sounds quite good, just not as good as proper placement which is expected. I would love to do HT's for surrounds but if a coaxial design is better than I'm all for going with volts. Putting the HT's baffle flush with the flat ceiling should in theory help with SBIR as creates a "baffle wall" so to speak other than not having a ton of mass and absorption on the surface. It might work out ok.

It will be 1 couch for the MLP and I don't care about the other seats in the living room. No possibility of atmos speakers or a 7 channel base layer. Subs will be 2 DIY sealed UM15-22 (18's are out of the question) powered by a behringer NX6000D. Eventually we will put a dedicated HT space in the basement with 4 18" full Marty's and 4 atmos speakers with an AT screen for a 7.4.4 setup with minimum 5' away from the closest seat to surround speaker. This living room "HT" if you can call it that, just has to make do with its downfalls and I know I will still enjoy it even with a lot of things not being ideal.

The TV will be mounted a little higher than I'd like so it can be seen from the kitchen but the plus will be that an HT-8 will just barely fit under the TV on top of a short entertainment stand and the waveguide will almost be at ear height. With the 20° vertical dispersion above 0°, it should work out great sitting at around 9' ish away. I don't want to get too much off topic here so if I end up having questions just regarding the space I have, I'll start my own thread.

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
@Aaron37
OK

just a few months ago, @kathga,
iirc
(I'll do a search after this post)
had the same SS placement problems,
he did a great looking high WAF /decor job with V6's . . .
yeah,
as super as my experience with DIYSG products and
even more importantly
the people
you'll need your own thread

edit: @kagtha

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm holding out for HT-8 for surrounds. I check daily....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just finished building 4 HT-12s for my surrounds and I am waiting for Eric to send me the 4 HT-8s I ordered for ATMOS. Hopefully they will go good with my LCR 1099s!
Does the HT-8's does a better a job at Atmos than the Volt 8's? I am just curious why you selected the HTs over the Volts for Atmos?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Does the HT-8's does a better a job at Atmos than the Volt 8's? I am just curious why you selected the HTs over the Volts for Atmos?

Not planning on using them for atmos. Side and rear surrounds only.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not planning on using them for atmos. Side and rear surrounds only.

Sorry, but I was asking Cotton1 that question as he ordered ht's for atmos.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry, but I was asking Cotton1 that question as he ordered ht's for atmos.

Hahaha, sorry. That's what happens when you browse the forums after two glasses of wine while checking the kids' home work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hahaha, sorry. That's what happens when you browse the forums after two glasses of wine while checking the kids' home work.

Hahaha! No worries.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Curious about this too. In my future build I won't be able to aim my Atmos speakers much and plan on having 4 of them so am trying to figure out some good options to pair with HT-12 LCR and HT-6 or 8 surrounds. 7.4.4 ideally.

I'm seen a video on Youtube about Volts not being ideal for Atmos, but I'm not sure 100% of stuff on the internet is accurate. What does this group of fans of DIYSG gear think?

Thanks

21 - 40 of 68 Posts