41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
wrt V's for ATMOS . . .

could you post that link?

what is the ceiling height
and layout possibilities
at 8', the 45 degree thing worked out to a 7'square and the mlp in the bullseye center
and the V6's are mounted to be well aimed
and XT32 rocks it . .

HTH

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not saying this is the gospel truth, but this guy generally has good things to say:

I think it would be a fine speaker for Atmos, but not sure if you're using a x.x.4 system it would be ideal. Just askin'.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think things should be kept in the proper perspective. There are very, very, few "ideal speakers" that can be flush mounted in a ceiling. It's a very hard thing to do. The upcoming JBL SLC-5 might be close (though they're having to redesign it before it was even released), but they'll go for $2500 each. I would encourage the author of that video to compare the Volt's responses to that of the JBL 328c which has been highly regarded for Atmos use and used in six-figure JBL Synthesis demos for years. Very similar with typical issues common with coaxials.

For those who care about sound quality that much for the height channels (lots of Atmos/Auro music listening) it's much easier to get it with height speakers on a wall (MUCH easier to point it correctly and the dispersion requirements are much easier to meet for full audience coverage by a typical speaker). Of course for movies, the typical Atmos effects usually sound better coming from the ceiling so people need to choose what's the most important for them.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
a member did flush mounted V10's , open back for ATMOS
2-3 years ago

using a foldable baffle for easy peasy and good looking final mount

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think things should be kept in the proper perspective. There are very, very, few "ideal speakers" that can be flush mounted in a ceiling. It's a very hard thing to do. The upcoming JBL SLC-5 might be close (though they're having to redesign it before it was even released), but they'll go for $2500 each. I would encourage the author of that video to compare the Volt's responses to that of the JBL 328c which has been highly regarded for Atmos use and used in six-figure JBL Synthesis demos for years. Very similar with typical issues common with coaxials.

For those who care about sound quality that much for the height channels (lots of Atmos/Auro music listening) it's much easier to get it with height speakers on a wall (MUCH easier to point it correctly and the dispersion requirements are much easier to meet for full audience coverage by a typical speaker). Of course for movies, the typical Atmos effects usually sound better coming from the ceiling so people need to choose what's the most important for them.
Great point about how ideal most users would expect them to be. I am planning on flush mount with backer boxes in the ceiling and for 100% movies. I tend to think that I'd be blown away by the quality in the volts. I'm not willing to go crazy and hit $2500 a speaker, but curious about comparably priced options. I've heard about Sonance MAG and RSL C34E. I'm not an expert though.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
@Eric H "The HTM-12 is going to be getting some changes. The new model wll be switching to a Celestion compression driver. It will also be getting a new custom designed woofer, it's based off the deltalite but has a copper shorting ring in the motor, longer voice coil, new cone, dustcap, spider and surround, and perhaps most important to some of you no more silver ring around the outside.

The new woofer was actually intended for use in a new Fusion line but since those woofers were already ordered, the stock of the 2512's was running low and the HTM-12 was going to need changes to move away from the DNA-325 anyway it was decided to put the new woofers to use in the HTM-12 as the new Fusion designs may have been a long while out. The new Hyperlite-12 woofer does loose a little sensitivity (now 95dB) but gains about 10Hz of bass extension in the same enclosure and gives more midbass kick then the original Deltalite.

With a new compression driver and woofer the crossover has also been redesigned though it retains much of the same voicing as the original. The main change being that the crossover point has been lowered to 1250hz to give better directivity matching between the woofer and waveguide and some minor response adjustments that I feel give a cleaner presentation in the midrange and treble."

Sounds like a nice upgrade to the HTM-12.

Eric, any reason why current HTM-12 owners could not upgrade with the new components? I'm presuming the new woofer will fit in the same baffle.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Eric, any reason why current HTM-12 owners could not upgrade with the new components? I'm presuming the new woofer will fit in the same baffle.
You'd require both new drivers and the new crossover (90% of the cost there), basically the only parts from the normal kit you wouldn't need for the upgrade are the baffle, ports and other small parts.

You could pretty much order the new kit and replace the drivers and crossover. Now you have an extra set of the original HTM-12's in kit form that you could either build or sell.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
You'd require both new drivers and the new crossover (90% of the cost there), basically the only parts from the normal kit you wouldn't need for the upgrade are the baffle, ports and other small parts.

You could pretty much order the new kit and replace the drivers and crossover. Now you have an extra set of the original HTM-12's in kit form that you could either build or sell.
...or save for back-up parts. :)

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
^

LOL

I push my bed layer, 2 x F15's, 3 x 88Specials and some Klipsch F3 towers as rears with a 125w/c ATI amp

the speakers are "fine"

what I need is some re-furbed ears . . .

props to @Erich H and the 'crew"

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Lots of things are out of stock for a couple reasons.

The HT-10 and HT-12 woofers were ordered at the same time as the 1099 woofers. I ordered them about 9 weeks ago and this past week was when they were supposed to be ready. Well I got an email from Eminence on Saturday saying that they were shutting down the plant and not opening on Monday due to the Corona virus. I'm not sure when they will be opening back up. :(

I've got zero 1099's woofers left, and maybe 10-15 of the HT-10/12 woofers.

HT-8 woofers and front panels came in, but I only have about 20-30 compression drivers left for all the HT models combined. I ordered more of those drivers from Celestion 4 months ago but they still aren't here because some of the parts used in them come from China. :(

I got lots of S2000 woofers in about 2 months ago and also ordered more of the Wavecor tweeters. Well, it turns out that those tweeters are made in China and they moved production all the way back to middle of May due to the Corona virus. Same with the Helix woofer. So that stinks too.

Deciding what to do about some other things. I should probably put the remaining 1299's back up on the site because I do still have some parts for those. The new HTM-12 will probably go up on the site in a few days. New Titan 818 is done, I'm just waiting on flat packs.

There will be some new high end kits coming to the site soon that don't use compression drivers. Some kits using Motus Audio woofers.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Lots of things are out of stock for a couple reasons.

The HT-10 and HT-12 woofers were ordered at the same time as the 1099 woofers. I ordered them about 9 weeks ago and this past week was when they were supposed to be ready. Well I got an email from Eminence on Saturday saying that they were shutting down the plant and not opening on Monday due to the Corona virus. I'm not sure when they will be opening back up. :(

I've got zero 1099's woofers left, and maybe 10-15 of the HT-10/12 woofers.

HT-8 woofers and front panels came in, but I only have about 20-30 compression drivers left for all the HT models combined. I ordered more of those drivers from Celestion 4 months ago but they still aren't here because some of the parts used in them come from China. :(

I got lots of S2000 woofers in about 2 months ago and also ordered more of the Wavecor tweeters. Well, it turns out that those tweeters are made in China and they moved production all the way back to middle of May due to the Corona virus. Same with the Helix woofer. So that stinks too.

Deciding what to do about some other things. I should probably put the remaining 1299's back up on the site because I do still have some parts for those. The new HTM-12 will probably go up on the site in a few days. New Titan 818 is done, I'm just waiting on flat packs.

There will be some new high end kits coming to the site soon that don't use compression drivers. Some kits using Motus Audio woofers.
Don’t forget those BB ported boxes for 15’s and 21’s :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm really bored and was looking for a small set of bookshelves to build during this stay-home period but both the S2000 and Speedster are out of stock right now, unfortunately.

Any ETA on the Speedsters?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Been debating 3 HT-10s (LCR) + 2 HT-6s (surrounds) vs 3 Chane A2.4s (LCR) + 2 Chane A1.5s (surrounds) for a while now. Still totally undecided.

·
Premium Member
7,217 Posts
41 - 60 of 68 Posts