I have varying amounts of woofers for most kits. I didn't want to spend $100k on the custom woofers if we couldn't get inductors and other crossover parts. Inductors will be here soon, so some kits will go in stock but some will have limited availability until more woofers get delivered. In a way we're basically starting over on some things but at the same time making sure we build up certain inventory so this problem of relying on other companies doesn't happen again. Prices on some woofers have gone up and we (meaning all of us) should decide if some kits make sense to continue. I can talk about that later.
We should talk about what kits to focus on bringing back on line. But here's a quick run down for some of them.
- S2000 and MTM: Should be back up very soon. At some point we might have to change to MDF cabinets due to Baltic birch supplies.
- Helix and MTM: Shouldn't be an issue keeping this up on the site.
- Apollo and MTM: More should be up in a couple weeks. Woofers are running low and I'll talk about the Anarchy's down below.
- Overnight Sensations and MTM: The parts on this kit increased by so much that I'm not sure it makes sense to do for much longer. The price of the tweeter really doesn't make much sense anymore. Last time I priced these kits they were over 25% higher for budget parts.
- Ion: Same situation. Two months ago the 4" woofer was cheaper to buy retail than wholesale. Woofer price went up over 38%.
- Speedster. Woofer went up almost 45%. I'm selling the kit without the woofer in case anyone wants to spend $78 on a 4" woofer.
- Volt-8: I have a decent number of these here and will probably look get a few different flat packs made up for these.
- HT-8: A good amount of everything, was just waiting on inductors.
- HT-10: Been gone for a while but will be coming back soon.
- HT-12: I've got around 30 left at the current cost. Woofer prices went up but might switch to a different model.
- Titan-818: These used a custom inductor that should be here in a month or so. The 18" woofer cost went up around $47. That $47 was used to cover "free shipping", so not sure what to do there. I haven't ordered the 18" woofers yet due to the price increase. I have everything else.
- 1099: We were waiting on crossover parts that should be here soon. Very few 10" woofers left. I'll be ordering more next week, but price went up on those as well.
- 1299: These will be making a comeback very soon. Waiting on the circuit boards. I have enough parts for a decent number of kits at the normal price but then more woofers need to be ordered and I have no idea what the price will be on those.
- Cobalt and MTM: Coming back unchanged. MT in about a week, MTM in about 2 weeks.
- Cheap Thrills-12: Uses a beefy 12" buyout woofer from Eminence. Neo magnet, but I got the woofers for just under $100 each. Probably about 200pcs?
- HT-88: Waiting on flat packs. Circuit boards should be here in a couple weeks along with crossover parts.
- 88-Special: Same wait as the HT-88
- Concentric-8: These use a Celestion 8" coaxial.
- HT-6: Waiting for circuit boards.
- Helix Ribbon: This was Jeff Bagby's last speaker design before he passed away. I'm not really sure why I haven't put them on the site yet but will try to get that done in the next few months.
- There are more 2 channel full range kits being worked because I know we're behind with those. Those types of kits seem to have more demand and I've kind of dropped the ball there. Tower cabinet flat packs are kind of expensive right now for shipping, so I've held off.
- Volt-6" Price of the woofer portion went up a lot and actually cost more than the 8" model. Not sure it's worth bringing back.
- Volt-10: Used to get ordered a lot, then sales went down and most people I guess moved to the Volt-8. Not sure if these should be continued.
- HTM-12: I have about 30 of these left. The price of the woofer has gone up a lot and is now a decent amount more than the Deltalite used in the previous HTM-12. Might make sense to go back to the 12" Deltalite, not sure. Community should decide on this soon.
- Vortex-12/15: These always bum me out. One of the neatest projects I worked on but they never got ordered until they were clearanced at a loss. Now they seem popular. I would consider asking for prices and getting one of those models redone later in the year.
- Fusions: Jeff Bagby and I were going to work on remaking the Fusions into 2 way speaker kits. He passed away before they got started. I was looking back through our emails and found a few designs we worked on that used cheaper woofers. This was actually just before the Fusions came out. Debating what to do with these designs.
Baltic birch on the smaller kits will likely go away for a while and replaced with the normal high quality MDF. Out of 300, I have around 100 of the larger Cube-18 and Cube-15 Max cabs here. No price changes on what's here. My friend just finished packaging up around 300 of the new Cube-15 and Cube-12 Max cabinets. Those will be in stock soon. I've been holding the 6cuft baltic birch VBSS and 5cuft Baltic brch cabinets for the next run of Titans. Price will not change on the ones I have here but they likely can't be remade in Baltic any time soon. I have around 8 new smaller flat packs here, not listed on the site yet. Waiting for 88-Special and HT-88 flat packs.
There could be an issue on these in the near future. These have always been priced at near break even costs and then a royalty to the designer. Well the cost to send a small shipping container has sky rocketed and those costs can't be divided out very well unless a large number of woofers is ordered. I normally just ordered 500-1000 woofers and it would add about $5-$8 to each one. The only way to keep prices down would be to order a lot more for the shipping costs to divide out good. Well that means 2-3000 woofers. That's a lot of money to spend on one product. Demand has never been super high, probably because I don't advertise or push anything.
Small parts like ports and waveguides:
I've had more waveguides made up, but Covid caused shipping container prices to go insane. So I decided to hold off on shipping them until a full sized shipping container could be filled. This is being worked on now and I really hope it gets here in about 3-4 months.
Other buyout stuff:
Cheap Thrills is done using a buyout 12". I've had a 15" woofer here from Celestion that could be used in a Fusion-15 type design. Not sure of demand. I've got some 8" octagon woofers here that could be used in a new design. Embarrassed to say how many. I've got some high end Motus woofers here that could be used in some high end 2 channel full range designs. The year before Fountek seemed to go away I bought around 3-400 ribbon tweeters because Jeff Bagby was going to work on some new designs. He got the Helix ribbon done before he passed away. I have a few other ribbon models just sitting here. Maybe they should be put in the clearance section? Not sure if anyone has design ideas.