AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Haha I waited all day just to try and let others have the chance. But come evening I pulled the trigger. Dual woofer titans are excellent. But I wont do it again without a crossover specific to that application. Maybe with a good boost in the bass department. Anyone else interested in the dual woofer design?
I've been working on how to package these kits for a couple weeks. A method I just tried out today seems to work really well but the horn touches the inside of the cardboard box. But I don't think it will cause any scuffing issues. If this works out it will make shipping/packaging much easier. Anyway, I know you were the last to order but you're also likely the closest for shipping. Mind if I send you one part of the kit as a test shipment? It's just one woofer, one horn, and the ports.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I've been working on how to package these kits for a couple weeks. A method I just tried out today seems to work really well but the horn touches the inside of the cardboard box. But I don't think it will cause any scuffing issues. If this works out it will make shipping/packaging much easier. Anyway, I know you were the last to order but you're also likely the closest for shipping. Mind if I send you one part of the kit as a test shipment? It's just one woofer, one horn, and the ports.
Not at all! Ship away sir.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah. I'm still finishing up an LCR set of 1099's. I'm going to try them against my HTM-12's. Titans are my dream end-game, "I won't ever need another speaker". I got impatient with waiting and don't really know how to fit the center speaker (I'd need to raise the TV I guess) so I pulled the trigger on the 1099's. And now this. :) I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 1099's though. :)

I'm glad Erich is putting these together. Maybe I can give them a shot sometime down the road and I'm happy that others will get to enjoy them, write up some build threads, and share reviews of them.
A smidge off topic but I checked your history but couldn't see, have you started a build thread or anything for the 1099's?

I am currently doing LCR as well and am almost done sanding/painting I soldered all the crossovers a couple months ago.

These Titans look absolutely insane and I wondered how they were in stock still when I eye'd them up on DIYSG.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The VBSS style cabinet is tuned to about 30hz (instead of the upper 30's) and provides roughly 3-4hz more extension.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
A smidge off topic but I checked your history but couldn't see, have you started a build thread or anything for the 1099's?

I am currently doing LCR as well and am almost done sanding/painting I soldered all the crossovers a couple months ago.

These Titans look absolutely insane and I wondered how they were in stock still when I eye'd them up on DIYSG.
Yes, I'm still in the build. Taking pictures so I'll have material for a build thread. I'm at 5 coats of primer/sanding with the crossovers and padding (I used Ultrasoft/Denim) all installed. I threw out my back last week from swinging these boxes around and this was a bad one. I haven't touched them in a week. All I can do is go into the garage and look at them :) Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to continue with them if I'm careful.

I could fit the Titans in the L/R spot but the center would need some work on a custom cabinet for them. I think though, given my room size and seating distance, I'll be more than ok with the 1099's :)

I'm glad I still have something to aspire to though :)

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
@Erich H,
These arrived without any issue whatsoever. And I love the waveguide. It makes the 615 waveguide look small!

·
Registered
790 Posts
@Jk7.2 awesome. Can’t wait on how this will turn out for you. So are you building them with dual woofer? How tall do you think they will be?

Femi

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
@Jk7.2 awesome. Can’t wait on how this will turn out for you. So are you building them with dual woofer? How tall do you think they will be?

Femi
I am only building with the stock single woofer. The thing is huge. I will definitely hurry to build them. Once I have the parts to build! I just received a test shipment from Erich just to be sure the packaging was ok. So I’ll be in line for the rest of the kits including flat packs when it’s my turn.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I might have ordered the last one in stock. The logic was kind of vague but it was something like one is better than none?

What is the overall height of these? The horn bracket picture with dimensions I think is the 615 not the 18. I got 26” for bass cab and 20-1/4” for bracket is 46-1/4” and the 615 are 47” with feet. Does the 818 waveguide stick up above the bracket?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No need to check that often because there will be plenty of clearanced Vortex to last a while, you won't miss them. They rarely got built.
That is too bad, I left for a year with the plan for them to come back and been waiting a while.

I was always on the fence about the 12 or 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dag-on-it, I missed it!
How do you guys setup an alert when they are back in stock?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Thanks. I see what it is, the 615 cab is taller, they must have changed it to bring the tweeter height down. I was remembering this pic

That may be the v.b.s.s. cab with the 818 waveguide in the pic. The flatpack I ordered isn’t that tall. In fact, by my rough math, a dual woofer 818 with the recommended flat pack, would be 4” shorter then the 630’s I had.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Haha I waited all day just to try and let others have the chance. But come evening I pulled the trigger. Dual woofer titans are excellent. But I wont do it again without a crossover specific to that application. Maybe with a good boost in the bass department. Anyone else interested in the dual woofer design?
Based on this post by Matt back in the 615 thead regarding dual 15" woofers, I'd imagine we'd be amp limited in most cases. I'm going to be running them on a Purifi based amp (switching from bridged Berhringer A500s).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jk7.2 and MTG90 how's it going guys? New Titans out and I got in on the order. I don't think my wife will let me put the 615s upstairs... the 1099s are doing quite well up there and are already "huge" in her mind. Lol oh well its a good problem to have. Can't wait to see everyone's builds!

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
@Erich H,
These arrived without any issue whatsoever. And I love the waveguide. It makes the 615 waveguide look small!

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like it arrived okay so that will make packaging go much better. My main concern was the horn basically being the same size as the box and then I wondered if the foam would sort of dull the horns finish, but it looks okay. Do you see any reason to wrap those individual port pieces?

61 - 80 of 133 Posts