AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
615 (wide/shallow cabinet) vs. 818 (VBSS style cabinet), note the 615 cabinet here has feet mounted and the 818 does not:
View attachment 3113430
Thanks for the comparison. I'm glad I went with the 818 specific 5 cuft bass bin to keep the waveguide sweet spot closer to the 615s height.

I think you had mentioned various flat packs will be available, will there be a shallow/wide variant for the 18?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dag-on-it, I missed it!
How do you guys setup an alert when they are back in stock?
Install and configure UptimeRobot app your phone. Specify the Keyword as ‘out of order’ which is what the product page shows now. The app monitors the page every 5 mins for the keyword. When Erich updates the inventory, the key word will be gone and bingo, your phone raises the siren. Take it from the guy who made the first order and went yelling on the forum and FB page that it’s back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like it arrived okay so that will make packaging go much better. My main concern was the horn basically being the same size as the box and then I wondered if the foam would sort of dull the horns finish, but it looks okay. Do you see any reason to wrap those individual port pieces?
I don’t see any reason to wrap up all the individual port pieces. The plastic pieces like ports and the waveguide are perfect. No sign of rubbing or scuffing anywhere. I actually liked opening a box from you that wasn’t topped off with styrofoam chips and every single piece wrapped and double wrapped! It only took a few minutes to open everything, down from an hour per box on some other kits! Lol

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I'm glad I went with the 818 specific 5 cuft bass bin to keep the waveguide sweet spot closer to the 615s height.

I think you had mentioned various flat packs will be available, will there be a shallow/wide variant for the 18?
When MTG90 and I worked on the Titan-615 we both thought the wide shallow cabinet would be very popular. Unfortunately I have about 90% of the original run of those cabinets still sitting on a pallet at the old shop......they rarely got built. Probably like 6-9 cabinets were ordered in that configuration over the course of a few years. They might end up in a fire pit at some point. :D

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Thats a shame, but I'll definitely take at least a couple more off your hands if you ever have the 615s available again.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The matte horns always have some small shiny spots from rubbing, not a big deal but I’d pay $5 each for them to be stuffed in a kids tshirt if that would help, and just donate the shirt or wax the car. No idea if that would actually help but maybe tshirt and then the usual plastic wrap?

I liked the look of the wide 615 cab when I was ordering but I think the thing is a lot of them are getting stuffed into baffle walls and width is a premium due to needing room for giant subs :)

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
These 818 horns aren't painted after they come out of the mold so they shouldn't show any rub marks after shipping. There's a light sheen to them and I was just making sure a sheet of foam packaging wouldn't dull it out. I was spray painting many of the 615 horns because they were more shiny from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I’ll just say again, there are no signs that anything rubbed against the waveguide I received. These are very nice. I’m excited.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Jk7.2, any chance you could do some more measurements of the woofer and port parts for those of us building our own cabinets?
I can do that. My measurements probably won’t be as good as published info by precision port and eminence, if you’re looking for cutout diameters etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can do that. My measurements probably won’t be as good as published info by precision port and eminence, if you’re looking for cutout diameters etc.
Yeah I got the port measurements, managed to find my last draft up for my 615s. Its the woofer I am not sure about and I'm not sure where to find the info directly from Eminence.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If you are looking for mounting dimensions the woofer uses the same cast frame as all the Eminence professional series 18's.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you are looking for mounting dimensions the woofer uses the same cast frame as all the Eminence professional series 18's.
Thanks Matt, found info on one of their drivers from Parts Express. Overall outside diameter 18" which we know, but the inside cutout diameter is 16.56". Just in case anyone else needs that tid bit of info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extremely tempted to buy in for my 70/30 music/gaming 2.0 setup. Is it okay to place these near wall? With my room layout I'd like to run them as corner horns if possible.

Been lusting over DIYSG builds for years, this is the year I finally pull the trigger. Thinking either these or some Helix MTMs. Thank you Erich and Matt, your contributions to this hobby are appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've done a lot of testing and listening to level matched titans as well as custom JBL 4722n, blind and non blind. What would you like to know?
I hadn't seen your response yet, @realtight . What were your assumptions going in, and what was your overall takeaway? I'm quite curious to hear your impressions, whichever way it went.

Question: If we already have VBSS subs with the Dayton PA460 drivers, would they suffice so I wouldn't have to buy the subs, or would that be a mismatch (tuning, crossover, etc.)?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I hadn't seen your response yet, @realtight . What were your assumptions going in, and what was your overall takeaway? I'm quite curious to hear your impressions, whichever way it went.
I PM'd the person that originally asked in detail since I didn't want to derail this thread, especially with all the excitement around this new product :)

So I compared a custom diy JBL 4722n (2225h & 2453h-sl drivers) with the high-end Titan 15. I played them single speaker in mono, level matched with a Harmon curve applied with the ability to instantly switch between speakers as music is playing. I had myself and 6 other people listen blind with a variety of well recorded music.

Going into this I really didn't know what to expect and was a little disappointed that the Titans weren't released earlier because they would have easily been my diy speaker of choice but since they weren't out yet I bought the JBL parts off of another forum member and built custom versions. I really didn't know what to expect going in honestly but I had heard numerous diysg speakers, owning a number of them and building quite a few for friends/family.

Out of the box disclaimer, the JBL's would not be good enough for me without the ability to implement a room curve (like harmon's). They are voiced to be behind an AT screen at a distance much further then a home speaker... if that isn't an issue, then no big deal, if it is the Titan's or any of the diysg offering are ready to go out of the box, requiring no eq.

Clarity: each speaker is very clear with the JBL's being superior. They are smoother but at the same time punchier throughout the frequency range. Top end is airy - similar to a dome tweeter where the Titans are nice but a little harder sounding, can be a little fatiguing at times. JBL has a slight midrange/vocal forwardness which I prefer and often gives the sense of realism that the Titans have never replicated to my ears.

SPL/Dynamics: each speaker does this extremely well, much better then a typical non-pro audio driver based speaker. The JBL still has the edge here as well. Playing movie clips and orchestral music you can tell in my large room that the JBL's have massive amount of dynamics but the Titans hold their own, maybe the dual woofer version would even things out. Bass output was surprising because I had them level matched so that neither's FR had more or less bass but the JBL's stomped the Titans every time. Again the dual woofer version or maybe the 18" might eliminate this.

Soundstage and Imaging: This was probably the biggest difference between them. The Titans just don't do it for me in this category and it might be their only weakness. They aren't in the same league as the Seos 12 or 15 (the biggest of those waveguides I've heard) as far as soundstage, imaging seem to be closer but the JBL's absolutely dominate all of them in this category. It's honestly not even a fair comparison at all. The JBL's can throw a gigantic soundstage while at the same time keep the imaging tight as well. They place sounds into the room 3 dimensionally in ways I've never heard a speaker do before, the waveguide along with the 2453h-sl CD are world class.

End listening results were 7 - 0 in favor of the JBLs. Even the person I built the Titans for liked the JBLs better but they also are/were a Klipsch snob owning many of their Heritage lineup over the years and he absolutely loves the Titans... I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Question: If we already have VBSS subs with the Dayton PA460 drivers, would they suffice so I wouldn't have to buy the subs, or would that be a mismatch (tuning, crossover, etc.)?
Personally it depends on your room size and how much midbass you want. My room is big: 18.5'x40' and the dual 15" 2225h are monsters. The single 15 in the Titan if eq'd up would probably be good to, the new 18" will probably be as much as any sane human could ever want. That being said I would buy a subwoofer that can match those types of speakers in output below 60hz and go as deep as you can afford.

I have multiple high excursion 18" subwoofers crossed @60hz and they are flat down to 5hz in my room. I don't feel like any pro audio subwoofer would gain me an advantage in this range. I'd keep what you have if you plan on buying/building something without much midbass.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
So I compared a custom diy JBL 4722n (2225h & 2453h-sl drivers) with the high-end Titan 15. I played them single speaker in mono, level matched with a Harmon curve applied with the ability to instantly switch between speakers as music is playing. I had myself and 6 other people listen blind with a variety of well recorded music.
The 30" wide horn on the JBL is a beast. I thought about making something very similar but I don't think demand is high enough to justify a project like that.

The larger horn and larger midrange in the 818 are improvements over the 615 model you demoed. I believe the designer said he also preferred the sound of the 8" Celestion over the 6" Eminence by a decent amount. Very curious what people think about the 18" woofer used in the new Titans.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 30" wide horn on the JBL is a beast. I thought about making something very similar but I don't think demand is high enough to justify a project like that.

The larger horn and larger midrange in the 818 are improvements over the 615 model you demoed. I believe the designer said he also preferred the sound of the 8" Celestion over the 6" Eminence by a decent amount. Very curious what people think about the 18" woofer used in the new Titans.
I believe I read in a couple places that the Seos-24 behaves very similarly to the JBL 2384 waveguide both in how low it loads, top frequency extension as well as pattern... that with a 1.4 or 1.5 large format CD would be awesome, too bad the interest isn't there. That or with something like that new B&C 22" waveguide built for their new coaxial CD would be an awesome top end to an active midbass... then have multiple sized midbass options. That sort of combo seems to be an obsession for the Klipsch DIY people on their forum.

I was wondering if the new cd/mid range horn combo on the 818 would open things up a bit, that would be a very nice upgrade to the 615 if so.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts