AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
So I compared a custom diy JBL 4722n (2225h & 2453h-sl drivers) with the high-end Titan 15. I played them single speaker in mono, level matched with a Harmon curve applied with the ability to instantly switch between speakers as music is playing. I had myself and 6 other people listen blind with a variety of well recorded music.
How much does the 4722n cost with the upgraded drivers? I assume both were well broken in.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This isn’t a derail. Keep talking!!!
I love the comparison conversations. Cost helps us keep everything in perspective when comparing speakers.
This also isn’t my thread. So I shouldn’t speak.
lol, maybe I'll start a new thread for those interested in a diy JBL 4722... there is also a huge thread on these speakers with a ton of good info but it's super long and most isn't related to a diy option to build.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
When MTG90 and I worked on the Titan-615 we both thought the wide shallow cabinet would be very popular. Unfortunately I have about 90% of the original run of those cabinets still sitting on a pallet at the old shop......they rarely got built. Probably like 6-9 cabinets were ordered in that configuration over the course of a few years. They might end up in a fire pit at some point. :D
I'd buy 2-3 full titan 615 kits right now if you found the parts and cabinets lying around haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
How about DIY Jubilees? Should make everyone happy with horns that big. 😂

Reactions: tarponater

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
I really don’t see the benefit of huge drivers in mains when running pro subs. Pro subs have all the midbass one can want. I don’t get it.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
^ that's not my circumstance but I can understand why. . sorta
In the spirit of DIY'ers everywhere
1. It's complicated
2. Because I can

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Between the huge drivers in the mains and pro subs you’re probably assured you’ll get the desired response at the seats. One or both could have nulls to be worked around.

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
I understand the why or the try, been there done that. Not necessary when using capable subs.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I'm curious as to why you'd want 18s in the mains as well - especially when you have 21" pro subs like MK said. Is there a gap these are supposed to fill above 100Hz?

·
Registered
649 Posts
He did the 818's because he is waiting for his JTR215 to show up and had already sold his 630titans. From what he has said so far about the 818 they sound like a great option. I am planning to get them when I finally get my theater built to go with my hs-24's. That should be a awesome combo.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Duuuh, because Mains with 18" woofers look more awesome

101 - 120 of 133 Posts