AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy to miss but a few weeks ago @mtg90 updated the first post in the Volt Coaxial Speaker Kits thread on DIYSG's HiFi Circuit forum with the following:

Sneaking the Volt-12 in here for 2021 - no kit, just plans but uses all off the shelf parts. If there is interest I could get PCBs made for this one.

The link goes to a pretty thorough description about building a Volt-12 using ported enclosure designs from the Vortex-12. It uses a Beta-12CX with Eminence F110M-8 ring radiator compression driver crossed over at ~1350 Hz. For a sealed enclosure it suggests going as small as 1.5 cubic foot which would give it an f3 of ~80 Hz.

For those who don't have the tools or inclination to build their own enclosures there are 1.5 cubic foot sealed car subwoofer enclosures available that might work.

For about half the price of a Vortex-12 a Volt-12 could make an interesting project for those willing to buy the parts separately as opposed to ordering a kit.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Good call, Dave!

I see that design and I think "garage party speaker". Hang those puppies on the wall (sealed), throw a few subs in and give them some of that old AVR love. Very efficient, a very wide dispersion and they can be hung sideways, upside down or whatever and punch out enough to make working on mowers, cars, other DIY speakers or whatever much more entertaining. Less than 300 bucks for all the parts and when used with subwoofers--they would be great for....ya know, "dorm parties" you could say.

As far as the nth degree of "hi-fi" goes, they do much better than most designs in that price class...say 400 bucks all in and add a degree of abuse because sometimes you just need to hoist the pirate flag and raise a little hell. Couple those with a pair of VBSS subs and have the other guys bring the beers--garage party starts now! :)

Sorry, I need to be more mature.... get some tweed grills and build a new Tannoy.... yeah, because maturity. (my wife is laughing)

Also noted his latest design is coming soon--a onwall speaker--looking forward to that one for my family members that would like to raise some cane but would like it onwall style like the TV. They want some rockstar mode like their little brother but less noticeable. I get it... whipped (I can say that, they are family and I know the truth!)

Good to see more designs flowing out of MTG--pretty cool that he optimized the $30 Eminence compression driver to allow for easier excuses to build more speakers.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Garage speakers eh... VBSS eh.....

How’s about some VBSS 315 puppies also a @mtg90 creation

That said the Volt-12s are very intriguing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 18Hurts

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at cabinet design for the Beta-12CX on the Eminence site it looks as if you could go even smaller on the sealed cabinet. Eminence suggests 1 cubic foot for a small sealed enclosure with an F3 of 87 Hz and a suggested crossover of 100 Hz. This could probably also work with a 90 Hz crossover given the slope built in to most AVR sub crossovers. Definitely a fun speaker for anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive DIY project with a big woofer/compression driver combo in a relatively small package.

·
Registered
334 Posts
To go on the record, I like the V12 design, its a hell of a combination for the price, but...

I WISH ERICH WOULD JUST LIST THE VORTEX ON THE SITE AGAIN!

Hes said many times they have been in stock with no interest, but at same time they havent been listed in a really long time?

The Vortex is going to be a much much better quality in terms of detail, dynamics, and better consistent coverage across the spectrum.

Still though, for the cost of the Beta12CX in a 80-90hz and higher surround, you just cant beat it.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
between Covid slow-downs in virtually all manufacturing
except maybe the "snake-oil" folks of every ilk
and ensuing "delays",
I keep sane about "delays' and restrictions
your situation I don't know and the same is - there's a lot of it going around
picture Erich doing plate spinning and also being a one armed wallpaper hanger
makes me almost blessedly pampered
especially when I turn it UP!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm picturing a dual 12" sealed enclosure, Volt 12 in top hole and Magnum-12 in the bottom hole to handle the sub 150Hz as a seperately powered driver. Extend response with a low shelf until you come to the excursion limits.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Been waiting for the Vortex12 to come back in stock myself.

But I may jump on these Volt 12's, Altoid has a Volt-10 type build as well, prices are all very similar. I may jump on this build and turn them into garage speakers if I ever notice the Vortex's come back.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
To go on the record, I like the V12 design, its a hell of a combination for the price, but...

I WISH ERICH WOULD JUST LIST THE VORTEX ON THE SITE AGAIN!

Hes said many times they have been in stock with no interest, but at same time they havent been listed in a really long time?

The Vortex is going to be a much much better quality in terms of detail, dynamics, and better consistent coverage across the spectrum.

Still though, for the cost of the Beta12CX in a 80-90hz and higher surround, you just cant beat it.

I believe there were two people that ordered the Vortex-12 in over 1.5 years. :confused: If the cheaper Volt-12 design was out back then I'd guess none of the Vortex-12's would have been ordered just due to price differences. It's a bummer that the nicer kits rarely get built, but that's how it seems to go.

More of the compression drivers for the Vortex and Titan are supposed to be in the US next week (ordered them over 5 months ago), so I should be able to get the Vortex up in the clearance section in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Does anyone recall the original listing price on the Vortex 12? @Erich H
I wanted a pair of Concentrics for the longest time but could never get the finances to line up right when they were in stock. I was finally able to buy my Concentrics when they went on closeout. It's the same situation for me with the Vortex 12's. I would absolutely love a pair for a music setup, but when they were introduced, it was a no-go for me financially. It's unfortunate that's the way it has to go down with so many of these higher end kits.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wanted a pair of Concentrics for the longest time but could never get the finances to line up right when they were in stock. I was finally able to buy my Concentrics when they went on closeout. It's the same situation for me with the Vortex 12's. I would absolutely love a pair for a music setup, but when they were introduced, it was a no-go for me financially. It's unfortunate that's the way it has to go down with so many of these higher end kits.
I can ask the guy that had me build his.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've heard the Concentrics and the Vortex-12. I haven't heard them side by side, but I will say the sound of the Vortex really made an impression on me. I had a shootout a couple years ago with several speakers, SVS, Concentrics, HTMs, M&K, Volts and a few others. I liked the M&K the best, but the Concentrics were a close second. I had the Vortex with the Titan-818. I liked the overall sound of the Vortex better, but the Titans are just so overwhelming. Once I heard them I had to get a pair.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
@tarponater Thanks for your thoughts on this (and the PM).
There is something about the coaxials that I really love. Even my Volt-10LX's sound great in my room as mains with music. Using "Money for Nothing" as one of my favorite test songs after building them, they absolutely crank! To me, they sound better with that song (and subs on) than my 1099's do. Slightly less harsh and very dynamic. I think it's probably the fact that the Eminence Beta drivers are so similar to many speakers used in guitar cabs, it makes sense that the big electric guitar sound at the beginning of "Money for Nothing" sounds like the amp is right in the room with me! Granted, the same could be said for the Delta drivers in the 1099, but in that case, you've got some of that guitar sound being crossed over to the mids, which is just not the same. I've had this same experience with the several sets of Volt-8LX's I've built.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I hope I don’t miss the opportunity on the Vortex’s again. I wonder if the Vortex 15 will make a come back?

·
Registered
19,759 Posts
I've heard the Concentrics and the Vortex-12. I haven't heard them side by side, but I will say the sound of the Vortex really made an impression on me. I had a shootout a couple years ago with several speakers, SVS, Concentrics, HTMs, M&K, Volts and a few others. I liked the M&K the best, but the Concentrics were a close second. I had the Vortex with the Titan-818. I liked the overall sound of the Vortex better, but the Titans are just so overwhelming. Once I heard them I had to get a pair.
Which M&K was it? Curious.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
@tarponater Thanks for your thoughts on this (and the PM).
There is something about the coaxials that I really love. Even my Volt-10LX's sound great in my room as mains with music. Using "Money for Nothing" as one of my favorite test songs after building them, they absolutely crank! To me, they sound better with that song (and subs on) than my 1099's do. Slightly less harsh and very dynamic. I think it's probably the fact that the Eminence Beta drivers are so similar to many speakers used in guitar cabs, it makes sense that the big electric guitar sound at the beginning of "Money for Nothing" sounds like the amp is right in the room with me! Granted, the same could be said for the Delta drivers in the 1099, but in that case, you've got some of that guitar sound being crossed over to the mids, which is just not the same. I've had this same experience with the several sets of Volt-8LX's I've built.
@dtsdig I know exactly what you are referring to. Guitar just sounds different/better/more realistic on certain speakers (even seemingly similar speakers) for some reason I can't explain. The HTM-10's had that feel as well as the Vortex-12. Not quite the same on the 1099's.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Which M&K was it? Curious.
My buddy Chris said it was the S100B. He's got 15 of them now! Uses them for surround and ATMOS I think.

I thought they sounded good at lower volume levels. But they couldn't keep up with the high sensitivity pro designs of DIYSG. Also, they kinda sounded "small" in comparison. The SEOS Waveguide just does magic.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I believe there were two people that ordered the Vortex-12 in over 1.5 years. :confused: If the cheaper Volt-12 design was out back then I'd guess none of the Vortex-12's would have been ordered just due to price differences. It's a bummer that the nicer kits rarely get built, but that's how it seems to go.

More of the compression drivers for the Vortex and Titan are supposed to be in the US next week (ordered them over 5 months ago), so I should be able to get the Vortex up in the clearance section in a few weeks.
Thanks. I noticed the limited supply and clearance tabs on the site are gone. Please let us know here when the Vortex will be up. I would be totally happy with buyinh just the custom 3012 or 3015 CX derivative you guys hammered out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts