AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many out there that come to AVS to begin their own Home Theater build, I was overwhelmed (both technically and financially) with the breath and depth of knowledge on this forum! In the 3+ years that this journey has taken me, I've learned a LOT of things! One of the first things I realized early on was that I didn't have the $300k I'd need to do everything I wanted, so which meant that I had to make decisions and prioritize.

One of the best pieces of advice I got was "Build the room first, add cool electronics later", and I tried to stick to it. I made the decision to use left-over and hand me down speakers for the initial opening night, and many thereafter, til the bank account recovered sufficiently to buy the cool speakers, amps, etc. The only thing that changed was that I decided to try out DIY speakers, and I'm glad that I did!! About 6-9 months ago I started on the speakers, and it's been about as much fun as a red-blooded American male can have w/his clothes on!

The first thing I did (like many of the disciplines here on AVS) was to do a ton of reading, research, and appeal to those gurus who had gone before to help with the overall design and approach. From there I replaced my LCRs, then the subs, and now I'm finishing up with the Surrounds and Rears. This will be the third and final installment of my "Replacing all my speakers with DIY" series. If anyone wants to learn from my successes and failures, they're all available (in order) in my signature block.

So, for anyone that doesn't know: DIYSG is a labor of love of Erich and a few others. They're a great resource for DIYers to pickup tested, tried, and true speaker design components, and that's where these Volt-6s came from.

This got kinda' long, so I'll get cracking on the build in the next post!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I bought the speaker kits from DIYSG, but not the flatpacks. I hear great things about Erich's flatpacks, but I had a bunch of Baltic Birch (BB) left over from the Fusion-15 and Sub builds, so I'm making the cabinets myself. I need 6 speakers for my surrounds and rears, but actually had so much left that I'm making 9 boxes:
- 6 for myself
- 2 for a starter set for a really good friend that just moved, and will likely have his very own thread here one day
- 1 for a dummy box. This one will be solid, w/o an active speaker.

The dummy box is key because I'll be retro-fitting these speakers into an existing Dedicated HT. I've been working with Nyal Mellor to take the audio performance in the room to the next level, and he has designed some pretty exacting specs for the speaker placement. I'm going to have to take down the old ones, make sure these fit where he's positioned them, open the walls and create backer boxes in some cases, etc. I'm going to do that w/the dummy box b/c it's easier to make a 9th when making 8, and that way I don't mess w/the finish or cone of one of the "real" ones.

Step one: Make cut plan.
For this particular build it was useless, since I was working with scrap lumber, but I always start by laying out the pieces I'll need. It forces me to think through the pieces, their assembly, and the best way to lay out my cuts for efficiency on material. Since I'm using Baltic Birch (and I didn't actually have to cut to this plan), I have 5x5 sheets (vs. the 4x8 you usually see). I also made a few different layouts, in case others are interested in options.

Step two: Cut a bunch of wood...

Six for me:

2 for gift:

Step three: practice assembly...
Dummy box:

Compared to the Fusions and Subs, these were a breeze!! I set the table saw fence for 5.25", and ran a few, then set it for 8", ran a few. Brought the pieces over to the chop saw, cut them to length. I HIGHLY recommend these as a starter for anyone that's going to make their own.

Note: that Dummy has a front on it that I just cut to match the back. The "real" 8 will have a front that comes as part of the DIYSG kit that Erich sends. They're CNC cut, and WAY prettier than anything I can do! We'll check those out, as well as the actual construction process, in the next posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
What thickness is the wood you're using? The Volt-6 ported enclosure uses 1/2" Baltic birch. So if you use thicker wood, you need to account for that in your box measurements to keep the internal volume the same. It's hard to tell from the pictures how thick the wood is that you have.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What thickness is the wood you're using? The Volt-6 ported enclosure uses 1/2" Baltic birch. So if you use thicker wood, you need to account for that in your box measurements to keep the internal volume the same. It's hard to tell from the pictures how thick the wood is that you have.
The BB I'm using is almost 3/4", so I probably lost some all the way around. What volume do I need, to keep from disturbing the tuning?

My math shows:

External 8 12 6.75
Width Height Depth Thickness Qty Volume
Internal 6.6 10.6 5.35 0.7 1 0.216600694
Internal 7 11 5.75 0.5 1 0.256221065

Will 4 hundredths of a cubic foot effect things that negatively, that I have to recut? Given that the front and back are a set size, so I can use your beautiful baffles, should I re-cut the sides, top and bottom, to make it deeper? It looks like increasing the depth of the box 1" will bring back the volume to close:

Internal 6.6 10.6 6.25 0.7 1 0.253038194

I lean on the opinion of the experts: will this make a noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to stop being lazy, and do it right to get to the right volume. I re-cut the top, bottom, and sides an inch deeper, and the internal volume is back to where it needs to be. The boxes are all glued and tacked, drying overnight. Tomorrow will be sanding/cleaning them up, and caulking.

Here's the 8 of them, hanging out:

Question: These will be in the wall, in backer boxes. What does everyone generally do for the binding posts on speakers like this. I was thinking about putting them in the front baffle, but it's so pretty that I don't want to mess with it.Should I just make the backer box an inch or so wide?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Where is the wire to the speaker coming from, in the wall or somewhere loose just inside the column?

You could a terminal cup on the side or back if you wanted something lower profile then just binding posts.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the wire to the speaker coming from, in the wall or somewhere loose just inside the column?

You could a terminal cup on the side or back if you wanted something lower profile then just binding posts.
I'm building backer boxes, to recess these as far into the wall as possible. Right now wire for each comes out of the wall into a binding post plate. I'm looking to replace the existing on-wall speakers with the Volts, but b/c the Volts are so much larger I have to go in-wall to keep them hidden behind the acoustic panels. Here's a couple of pics:

Current installation:

With the panel removed, current install, planned location traced onto the wall:

I didn't think of terminal cups, that's probably the best solution for my install. Of course, I already ordered the posts and have them waiting for install... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Example Volt-6, I used polyfill here because Erich did not denim handy at the time but either can be used:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Q: Is there enough clearance betwixt port & insulation? Mk1 eyeball sez you've probably got less than an inch.
Example Volt-6, I used polyfill here because Erich did not denim handy at the time but either can be used:
Thanks for the concern and clarification, but I should've used the sarcasm font on my post last night. It was getting late when I wrapped up, and I was just cutting chunks of the denim for each speaker before wrapping up. The pic was intended to be my funny take on "showing that I'm going to use denim AND protecting the IP of the crossover design. ;)

That being said, I really dig the way you stuffed those Volt-6s. I was trying to decide the best way to lay out the insulation, without compromising the PCB, port, or driver, and I wasn't sure if completely ignoring the back was a good idea. Thanks for sharing that pic!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything has been caulked, PCBs mounted, insulation corrected, and front baffles glued. As soon as the glue dries, final sanding then Duratex.

The inspector even swung by first thing and gave us the thumbs up to continue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how do they sound?
I don't know, I've only finished those two out of the eight in progress so far. I'm going to try to knock out the other 6 tomorrow, then fire them up.

I want to bust out REW and take a series of readings though. I'm thinking to capture:
- Room as is: 4 surrounds
- Room after: 2 wide, 2 surrounds, 2 rears
- Current speaker (Bose) response
- Volt 6 response

Thoughts on other things to capture?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi there nice build! I am researching using Volt V6's and am just wondering how this has all worked out for you!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, I'm definitely a huge fan of these. Simple to build, compact, great sounding speakers. With the addition of these I consider the speaker upgrade on the room complete!

Acoustically, they compliment the Fusions well, and I could tell an immediate difference when EQing them! They've really taken my Atmos sound field to the next level!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts