AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a quick thread documenting my volt 10 lx build. I built 2 cabinets to be a L/R in my living room. I have a volt V6 for my center (TV over the fireplace, low WAF already.... couldn't get a big speaker there), and volt v6 surrounds. I have been a point source /phase coherent source convert for quite a while now. I am a production manager for theaters/performance complex's in real life, and we put Danley products into a 650 seat theater I ran about 8 years ago. As there is no way I am ever going to afford Danley products in my real life, a good coaxial seems to be the next best thing.

So, on to the build. I elected to build a 1.35 cubic foot enclosure with a slot port tuned to 50 hz. I took some snow days to work in the scene shop at work. I built enclosures using left over 3/4 ply we had kicking around the shop.

I took the stock front baffles from Erich and removed the round overs

Pushed through my cut list, realizing that some of our blades need sharpening...

And started my glue/clamp action. Baffle and port top first. Everything is glued with titebond and then nailed with a brad nailer. A long time ago, I was taught that mechanical fasteners exist to hold things in place until glue cures....

Add the top of the cabinet second

Learning to be careful to hold that brad nailer square...

After the top, and baffle, and port slot top, I added one side for some rigidity

Some registration lines to make sure I secured the port slot top correctly

I added the back and bottom, and then flipped to do the other side... this is probably a good time to note a math or measuring error, y side panels are a bit taller than needed, but it was no problem to trim when done...

So the raw cabinet is all together, they always look so much bigger in person than on paper. At this point I am seriously concerned about my wife's acceptance of these.

So, changing gears, cross over assembly while the glue cures. I believe I'm following the custom of not showing all the crossover details, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

And now the rest of my image uploads aren't working quite right, so look to the following post for more....

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part II

After mounting all components, a quick flip and solder, this is my first time soldering a circuit board, usually I am making/repairing audio cables.

This is a picture of the second board all ready to go

Back to the cabinets, quick forstner bit on the back for the speaker terminal cup

Then on to the laminate, I used the mahogany veneer from PE. Contact cement it down, and then trim with a small handheld router with a laminate trim bit (the one with bearing)... The veneer looks all wonky in the picture but didn't actually turn out that way.

The same panel after trimming

And the happy cabinet, all done, when I realized I should of painted the slot port before assembly... F*ck....

The interior is mattress foam from the local target.

I setup both cabinets in one of our theaters, 450 seat... for some listening tests. First impressions, nice. I need to get some measurements on them with REW. After some more critical listening, I am questioning my port tuning. There is a dip in response between about 90hz and 60 hz. The port clearly picks it back up, but I am wondering if I should of used a larger enclosure, or raised the port turning freq, sacrificing some low end for smoother low frequency response. Everything is a trade off. This is really the first time I have owned a L/R cabinet that was truly full range, so I am enjoying that experience. My sub is doing less work for the Main L/R now. Of course this is just the beginning of a long journey, and this is certainly not our forever home, so the amount of work I want to do to continue to improve the space is limited.

Anyway, I'll update with some in room pictures soon.

I still need to get some pictures with the finished veneer... They look huge in the living room, the wife is currently tolerating them, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Curious - they appear in my browser when I look at it logged in or not, but not when I go to the thread from an incognito window in chrome. I guess I will re upload... Thanks!
Working for me now. I had that same issue in the past, but I forget what service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts