AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

Registered
I don't get notifications if someone sends me a PM here.

I reply to as many emails as I can and right now it's usually "I'm not 100% sure when those will be back in stock because of......" If you don't get an email, it might either go to your spam folder or your provider completely blocks the email. Had a guy on the other forum say he worked in IT for years and knew his provider wasn't blocking emails. I sent the same response from a different account and he got it and was surprised to find his provider was indeed blocking some emails.

Unfortunately manufacturing dates keep changing for everything. I ordered compression drivers from Celestion about 6 months ago and I've been told 3-4 times that they will be here next week. I have been adding flat packs and speaker kits to the site as I get parts but there are people waiting on them and they don't last very long. I've packaged up lots of ported and sealed subwoofer cabinets in the past few months, so quite a few things are going out. Speaker kits are tough because one missing part messes up the whole kit. I've been waiting on ports for the Apollo and Helix for months from PE. They were supposed to come in last month, but the date changed to May 07. Flat packs for those kits are cut for those specific ports. Same with the Speedsters, Overnight Sensations, S2000's, etc. That's why all of those are out of stock as well.

Volts were put on the site about a week ago and I'm packaging those up this week. Instead of me checking on crossover part availability every day I really should just shut it all down for a couple months, rework the site, and get the new building finished up. It would be more productive in the long run and make things go much smoother later.

Registered
I guess I will sit tight. Sounds like he has no stock anyway. Frustrating time to be thinking of DIY. I have drivers for my VBSS that keep getting pushed out and Behringer seems to have no stock of amps anywhere in the US. i ordered some PSA speakers and they are back ordered until at least may, lol. This is getting to be as bad as when I ordered a mountain bike last august. I got it in January. 馃槣
I think things will get worse for other industries soon because this isn't just in the audio business. I've heard from friends that work in auto manufacturing that their company has almost 18,000 completed vehicles parked in a storage lot waiting for one small computer chip.

One ingredient used in plastic is getting hard to find, so plastic prices are going to go up or production on parts will decrease.
One part used in the resin for MDF and plywood is hard to get so supply is low on wood and prices will likely go up soon due to shortages.
It just takes a few missing 'ingredients' in metal, plastic, and glue to basically mess up thousands of products.

Registered
I think things will get worse for other industries soon because this isn't just in the audio business. I've heard from friends that work in auto manufacturing that their company has almost 18,000 completed vehicles parked in a storage lot waiting for one small computer chip.

One ingredient used in plastic is getting hard to find, so plastic prices are going to go up or production on parts will decrease.
One part used in the resin for MDF and plywood is hard to get so supply is low on wood and prices will likely go up soon due to shortages.
It just takes a few missing 'ingredients' in metal, plastic, and glue to basically mess up thousands of products.
That is crazy. Thanks for the update though...certainly do hope things get better sooner rather than later. I'll keep my eyes posted on the site if things do start showing up.

Registered

I鈥檝e heard this about the preferred glue used to make engineered products. It doesn鈥檛 surprise there are items like this holding up other markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I've heard the same thing on auto manufacturers waiting on chips to finalize vehicles that have just been sitting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
Just keep in mind that every minute someone running a one-person operation spends replying to emails is one less minute that person has to devote to managing the rest of the business. Instead of trying to answer many individual requests for the same information the time might be better spent updating the website with the latest information which would reduce the number of individual email requests.
Some stuff can not be ordered without emailing him first, and if he doesn't answer...

Registered
Some stuff can not be ordered without emailing him first, and if he doesn't answer...
If he wants to keep everything on an individual basis then he will have to be prepared to address a large number of emails at a time like this when so many speaker parts are unavailable from suppliers and so many customers are emailing questions about availability.

If the email volume reaches a point where he doesn't have time to individually respond to all of them then it would make sense to try to come up with a system to let customers know he isn't ignoring them. Perhaps an automated email response that simply said something like: "I received your email but don't have any availability updates to give you right now. I'll get back to you as soon as I have a firm update on availability."

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I went through my junk mail for a third time an no email that i can see is in there. I am not sure why a provider would block an email at their level. I first left questions on the site 9 days ago and then again yesterday. My PM was 8 days ago, but I understand not getting notification on that as I dont ever get notifications on conversations either, that is very frustrating part of this site. 1

So now that he says volts are in stock, I have questions and not sure how to get answers? For example I would like pre built cross overs, are those even an option? If so how do you order since they are not listed on the website.

I would like to know if the volt atmos boxes are really only suggested for atmos speakers or can those smaller boxes be used for surrounds as my whole point in looking at the volts is to build boxes that are ideally 8-9鈥 deep for side surrounds as I dont have as ton of room there for deeper speakers. If not I would look at the TH or HTM lines.

So I would like to know the difference between the HT and the HTM lines? Also how they differ from the Volts. None of these are addressed without some sort of interaction and I have not been able to get that yet.

Registered
You鈥檇 get responses to those questions on here or on HiFiCircuit.

As painful as it may be, you will get a faster response from the community than the sole proprietor.

FWIW - I bought 3 Titans off of this forum, NIB. Then I waited months for the Volts to become available again and bought 10 of those...
If they鈥檙e worth the effort, I don鈥檛 know, but will know soon.

Registered
I went through my junk mail for a third time an no email that i can see is in there. I am not sure why a provider would block an email at their level. I first left questions on the site 9 days ago and then again yesterday. My PM was 8 days ago, but I understand not getting notification on that as I dont ever get notifications on conversations either, that is very frustrating part of this site. 1

So now that he says volts are in stock, I have questions and not sure how to get answers? For example I would like pre built cross overs, are those even an option? If so how do you order since they are not listed on the website.

I would like to know if the volt atmos boxes are really only suggested for atmos speakers or can those smaller boxes be used for surrounds as my whole point in looking at the volts is to build boxes that are ideally 8-9鈥 deep for side surrounds as I dont have as ton of room there for deeper speakers. If not I would look at the TH or HTM lines.

So I would like to know the difference between the HT and the HTM lines? Also how they differ from the Volts. None of these are addressed without some sort of interaction and I have not been able to get that yet.
I just checked my PM's here and I'm pretty sure I did answer you in an email a while ago. You asked about HTM-8 and 10's what's different about those than the HT's, assembled crossovers on the site, can Atmos kits be used for other things.

There are no HTM-8's or 10 anymore because they pretty much never got ordered and Eminence and Celestion stopped making the 6" and 8" woofers used in those as well. So there's not much reason to compare them to the HT's anymore. But when they were on the site they used higher end and more expensive parts. As for writing up something describing how the HT line differs from the HTM line and how both of those lines differ from different Volt speakers......that could end up being a small book. :) I'm not really sure where to start with that but I believe there are books and papers out there describing how coaxials work and what makes that type of speaker different from other types of speakers.

If something isn't on the site chances are it's not available. On occasion someone will need an extra kit or flat pack that might not be on the site anymore and I can usually get that for them because I keep spares for everything just in case. Assembled crossovers you asked about are the same. They aren't on the site because I don't currently have any but can get you contact info for someone that assembles the ones from your kit.

Atmos kits are pretty much designed for Atmos use. Their frequency response should be listed on the product page. I know there are people that use them for different channels, but they were originally designed for Atmos use. I don't mind recommending certain kits for people, but I rarely recommend trying something that the speaker wasn't really designed for. That's more on the end user to try if they want to change the original design. Kind of like buying a big screwdriver. It might work okay as a chisel, but the screwdriver manufacturer isn't going to recommend it. :)

Registered
There are no HTM-8's or 10 anymore because they pretty much never got ordered
Hey! :p

In all seriousness, I'm still very much enjoying this set of HTM-10 L/R and HTM-8 center. I very much appreciate you making whatever kits available, and your dedication to keeping DIYSG going in these much less than ideal times. No better bang for the buck for HT enthusiasts, I thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well with Erich jumping in here and saying volts were back in stock, I decided I wanted to order 4. Either to use as atmos or surrounds. Went to check out and only one left :( So i snagged it anyway and I guess I will build one and see how it sounds and hopefully they get more in stock at some point in the semi near future. I guess I should have just ordered when I saw his post instead of reading 15-20 threads about the Volts first.

Registered
Got to know when to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Craig S King

Registered
Thanks for all of the hard work, Erich. Sounds like it's been a rough year trying to run a business. I feel fortunate to have noticed that Volts were back in stock the other day and ordered two more angled Volt-6s to use as Atmos speakers.

Once I have those finished, and the pair of Buyout-15 subwoofers I've had in my queue for a while now, I'll have a full 5.2.2 setup of DIYSG coaxials!

Registered
Well with Erich jumping in here and saying volts were back in stock, I decided I wanted to order 4. Either to use as atmos or surrounds. Went to check out and only one left :( So i snagged it anyway and I guess I will build one and see how it sounds and hopefully they get more in stock at some point in the semi near future. I guess I should have just ordered when I saw his post instead of reading 15-20 threads about the Volts first.
If I was doing Atmos with the Volt 10s I would go with the angled cab flatpack bundles which are still available. The Volts do best when directly on axis to the listener. I have four in the Atmos flat packs and the tradeoff is you need to cross them over around 100Hz due to the limited air space in the nice shallow cabinets.

If you message @mtg90 (the designer, Matt Grant) he can probably assemble the crossovers for you, you would send the parts to him once you receive them from diysg. I have his assembled ones for the Volt 10s and Titan 615s and they are perfect.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If I was doing Atmos with the Volt 10s I would go with the angled cab flatpack bundles which are still available. The Volts do best when directly on axis to the listener. I have four in the Atmos flat packs and the tradeoff is you need to cross them over around 100Hz due to the limited air space in the nice shallow cabinets.

If you message @mtg90 (the designer, Matt Grant) he can probably assemble the crossovers for you, you would send the parts to him once you receive them from diysg. I have his assembled ones for the Volt 10s and Titan 615s and they are perfect.
鈥榯hanks for the heads up on the crossovers. I will reach out to him. If I do atmos with them Would rather just put them in the ceiling. First focused on trying to build some side surrounds.

Registered
I guess I will sit tight. Sounds like he has no stock anyway. Frustrating time to be thinking of DIY. I have drivers for my VBSS that keep getting pushed out and Behringer seems to have no stock of amps anywhere in the US. i ordered some PSA speakers and they are back ordered until at least may, lol. This is getting to be as bad as when I ordered a mountain bike last august. I got it in January. 馃槣
I ordered a masking screen first of March last year. It shipped in September.Delayedd due to Covid.

Registered

I use the Atmos flat pack boxes for my Volt-10's and Audyssey sets the crossover to 60hz and 80hz for them. Work well for me. Denovo Audio Volt-10 Atmos flat pack

Registered
I use the Atmos flat pack boxes for my Volt-10's and Audyssey sets the crossover to 60hz and 80hz for them. Work well for me. Denovo Audio Volt-10 Atmos flat pack
Theoretically, when crossed to a sub at 80 Hz the Volt-10 with atmos flat pack should work in a smaller system as satellite-type mains. DIYSG rates the Volt-10 atmos down to 75 Hz which I assume is at the industry standard -3 dB. THX specifies a -3 dB @ 80 Hz for THX-certified sealed satellites.

By THX standards sealed satellites that are -3 dB @ 80 Hz are perfectly matched to the AVR sub crossover slope when set to 80 Hz. This helps explain why when some Volt-10 atmos users temporarily tested their new builds as mains in a 2.1 configuration they were surprised at how well the combination performed.

Registered

Seeing the same thing in computer parts too. Read some of the shortages around graphics cards are related to there being a shortage of the memory they use.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 80 Posts