AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Seeing the same thing in computer parts too. Read some of the shortages around graphics cards are related to there being a shortage of the memory they use.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Thats not too far off, there are a few other components that have prevented them from being made. Then there is also ASIC's (for mining) where Nvidia particularly has dumped a good portion of their chips in to stifle the loss of income from not being able to make their cards. There has been a level of skepticism that they would of done this anyway but they make such a large profit from their cards with a massive demand for them that it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't put much more effort into getting cards to the masses. Not to mention their server side of business has suffered as a result as well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I guess I will sit tight. Sounds like he has no stock anyway. Frustrating time to be thinking of DIY.
It's like that for all electronics right now, certain components are simply not in the supply chain holding everything up. Try to buy an current model AVR. Most everything is back-ordered.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Not sure what people want Erich to do at this point

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
Not sure what people want Erich to do at this point

IMHO : Believe he will continue to do the best given the challenges and the DIY community support

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It doesn’t hurt to ask the question though. It can appear that some are being accusatory and I’m sure some are, after all there are quite a few people who think the world revolves around them. But Eric and Matt are cherished in the community and is greatly appreciated.

I still think most of these posts are quizzical vs accusatory or even insinuating despite some of them reading like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Take it from a "fresh eyes" perspective,

Say a person heard about DIYSG and ambled over to their site. Most of everything is out of stock so they click on site updates--last update 19 Oct 2020. Hmmm...click here to find 11 pages of people typing about parts and such. Well, the Anarchy is back in stock...click on that...incomplete T/S parameters so even if you wanted it--not sure how you would have a do it yourself project without the parameters.

So, if you were new to the site--what would you think? Sure, you can dig around the internet or email but...would you do the same thing for power tools, boom boxes or car parts? I know I wouldn't--time is a terrible thing to waste.

It would be a good idea to put the T/S parameters on spare parts that are not common with other vendors. Sure, plenty of parts can be cross referenced to Parts Express etc. but some of them can't. It is common courtesy to list the parameters, the Anarchy is a great woofer but the Tang Band has the numbers I can use to model what I want it to do.

To get an idea, just go to DIY Audio Forums--DIYSG is very rarely ever discussed. There is a big reason for that, not to hard to figure out why. The last time I ever noticed them mentioned was the Vortex concentric coaxes--they liked the measurements but did not want to deal with if they were in stock, if they would ever be in stock, T/S parameters or getting phased out for a proprietary driver. At least with other vendors, you have spare parts if you want/need to build more in the next 6 months, a year later and so on.

DIYSG is good stuff, no problem there but if you don't have the true random nature of the product or want to change the design--not a good option. That is the business model so you make the choice and live with it--as with all things. I strongly recommend DIYSG if time frames are not an issue or you go by the stock box designs. The packing job is incredible so very little chance of buyers remorse when you get your kits.

A few tips, it would be a good idea to keep the customer informed what is going on with site updates, throw in the T/S parameters so the lowly scum DIY people can use the drivers and you might throw in the Fusion series, 88 Special etc. as open source so if a person needs to expand their HT systems--they can add additional phased out speakers if necessary.

Personally, I think if you wanted to save the Vortex, simply send one of them to Amir over at Audio Science Review and when it delivers the goods--you would probably see an ever expanding demand for them (go with the 12 to start) Never know, it might take off and you can get around to the Vortex 10 as discussed several years back. Amir will test DIY speakers, he has in the past although nobody sent in a DIYSG speaker so a good opportunity to get huge exposure--he will mail it back to you and he pays return shipping and does not charge to perform the service. Erich seems to always want reviews, getting one out of Amir would be one heck of a review! Something to ponder while you wait for parts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take it from a "fresh eyes" perspective,

Say a person heard about DIYSG and ambled over to their site. Most of everything is out of stock so they click on site updates--last update 19 Oct 2020. Hmmm...click here to find 11 pages of people typing about parts and such. Well, the Anarchy is back in stock...click on that...incomplete T/S parameters so even if you wanted it--not sure how you would have a do it yourself project without the parameters.

So, if you were new to the site--what would you think? Sure, you can dig around the internet or email but...would you do the same thing for power tools, boom boxes or car parts? I know I wouldn't--time is a terrible thing to waste.

It would be a good idea to put the T/S parameters on spare parts that are not common with other vendors. Sure, plenty of parts can be cross referenced to Parts Express etc. but some of them can't. It is common courtesy to list the parameters, the Anarchy is a great woofer but the Tang Band has the numbers I can use to model what I want it to do.

To get an idea, just go to DIY Audio Forums--DIYSG is very rarely ever discussed. There is a big reason for that, not to hard to figure out why. The last time I ever noticed them mentioned was the Vortex concentric coaxes--they liked the measurements but did not want to deal with if they were in stock, if they would ever be in stock, T/S parameters or getting phased out for a proprietary driver. At least with other vendors, you have spare parts if you want/need to build more in the next 6 months, a year later and so on.

DIYSG is good stuff, no problem there but if you don't have the true random nature of the product or want to change the design--not a good option. That is the business model so you make the choice and live with it--as with all things. I strongly recommend DIYSG if time frames are not an issue or you go by the stock box designs. The packing job is incredible so very little chance of buyers remorse when you get your kits.

A few tips, it would be a good idea to keep the customer informed what is going on with site updates, throw in the T/S parameters so the lowly scum DIY people can use the drivers and you might throw in the Fusion series, 88 Special etc. as open source so if a person needs to expand their HT systems--they can add additional phased out speakers if necessary.

Personally, I think if you wanted to save the Vortex, simply send one of them to Amir over at Audio Science Review and when it delivers the goods--you would probably see an ever expanding demand for them (go with the 12 to start) Never know, it might take off and you can get around to the Vortex 10 as discussed several years back. Amir will test DIY speakers, he has in the past although nobody sent in a DIYSG speaker so a good opportunity to get huge exposure--he will mail it back to you and he pays return shipping and does not charge to perform the service. Erich seems to always want reviews, getting one out of Amir would be one heck of a review! Something to ponder while you wait for parts.
Well, I know I've been frustrated with the lack of updates on the site. I've said this before - it seems to me that a couple short updates on the site itself every week or two so would eliminate the need to respond some to emails. I've been waiting for about a year to get some 1099s and/or HT[M]12s. I checked every few weeks for months and then stopped, and then missed out on what must have been a small batch that were available for preorder which I assume went quickly. As there's never any updates on the site you have to hunt around here for updates. At this point I wish I could get on a waiting list or sign up for availability alerts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
DIY Audio forums have some features they tend to prioritize that don't necessarily align with DIYSG product. Also, a lot of DIYA seems to be overseas posters, and the value proposition of DIYSG (and Parts Express, etc) is very different for overseas consumers. I wouldn't be hugely concerned that DIYSG isn't a big deal there, it's just a different audience.

I think it's a good idea to get more DIYSG kits to ASR, but the sentiment over there for DIY is its only worth Amir's measuring time for complete (or at least 100% documented) kits, not one person's mix of parts and box. Thus, the C-note, the Hivi 3.1, a BMR Philaharmonic are fair game because either they're kits complete with flat pack or they at least have explicit instructions. The Vortex flat packs never came out and there are no fixed cabinet designs, just flexible internal volume recommendations, meaning there is no One True Configuration to measure.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts

I'd love to do all of that but the problem is time. There's only so much I can do in a day by myself. Since DIY Sound Group was started I've never taken a vacation, never taken a full day off work and there's still no way to get it all done. And I'm not kidding about no days off. I could answer all 50+ emails per day but then have no time to order parts, package anything, design anything, etc. I could take great photos and learn to make a great website, but then nothing else would get done. I could spend time on Facebook showing how neat things are or try to show new kits, but again, nothing else would get done.

I already know.....hire more people. I had a landscaping business for 20 years with many employees and it ran great. But it's easier said than done with DIY speaker kits. Packing up flat packs is fairly easy. I have help doing that and it runs fine. But kits are a whole different thing. Ask someone off the street what a crossover is. Try to explain to someone what their job will be with regards to learning crossover parts, inventory, packaging, quality control, testing, etc. What would you even call that position if you posted an ad? Now find that person during Covid and train them how to package 30 different kits and 30 flat packs while wearing masks for a year when you can't stand next to them to show them how to do it.

Laying it all out there:

I typed up more info but didn't have time to finish it so I will post it all on Monday. It explains things in more detail so you guys know what my plans were and are.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kind of like buying a big screwdriver. It might work okay as a chisel, but the screwdriver manufacturer isn't going to recommend it. :)
I represent that remark! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I represent that remark! :ROFLMAO:

When i first became a electrician my first guy i worked for said your pliers is you hammer and you screw driver is your chisel. Then a few weeks later on the first day of apprenticeship school the first thing they said is your pliers is not a hammer and screw drivers are not chisels. But i still default to using them that way, and on occasion when i bring out a 12" cold chisel and 3# maul for whatever i get funny looks from my coworkers.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
... There's only so much I can do in a day by myself. ...
Bingo. You should add that to your forum signature. It's the simple and truthful response to many of these questions. No matter how you allocate your time this old saying is always going to apply: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

The single most important issue is that you not allow external forces to cause you to burn yourself out. DIYSG has been a great accomplishment and has been publicly acknowledged by prominent people in the AV industry like Tom Vodhanel at Power Sound Audio.

Do whatever you need to do to keep DIYSG going at whatever level is comfortable for you. Your efforts and accomplishments are greatly respected, appreciated and supported by many in the community.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have an alert setup for when pretty much any of his speakers come in stock and it sent me one today. The page wouldnt load, 45 sec later when it did load, out of stock instantly haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Getting any of the DIYSG speakers on Audio Science Review would be amazing.
I would defiantly pay to help that happen.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Getting any of the DIYSG speakers on Audio Science Review would be amazing.
I would defiantly pay to help that happen.
I'd agree mostly because there have been countless threads asking how they sound (qualitatively) vs. more well known commercial speakers... I think the folks measuring around here are doing well enough that I don't necessarily need the 10k rig to verify. but to be able to compare the measurements to other known speakers along with the qualitative review would be helpful...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd agree mostly because there have been countless threads asking how they sound (qualitatively) vs. more well known commercial speakers... I think the folks measuring around here are doing well enough that I don't necessarily need the 10k rig to verify. but to be able to compare the measurements to other known speakers along with the qualitative review would be helpful...
FWIW, I sent an email to Erich months back asking about test samples. He didn't reply but I know he is super busy and I honestly forgot to follow up. Since this thread is alive and kicking, I figure I'll just share my email below and you guys can let me know if you can help by loaning a DIYSG product to me or covering the costs of having one sent to me to review.

------- Begin email -------

Erich (is this still you?), I don't know if you remember me but I'm Erin from Tech-Talk. I've started testing speakers again for my website and YouTube channel. I recently tested the Klipsch Heresy IV and was very underwhelmed with them. It got me thinking... for the price they cost, what other horn-type speakers could compete with them and best them? Based on my data, surely there's got to be something...

Then I thought of you and this site and all the various designs available. It's been a while since I've had my pulse on DIY because I've been so focused on providing data that I don't hang out in the forums anymore. So, two questions that I was hoping you could help me with:
1) Are there any designs that you sell which you would like to see objectively tested (and maybe subjectively reviewed) so we can provide a real sense of apples-to-apples comparison against something like a $3k/pair Klipsch speaker.
2) Do you have any b-stock, know anyone with b-stock or simply have a "loaner" that you could send me for testing? I'm not making any real revenue off my site. Basically enough to pay the bills for all my test gear and server fees. So, I typically ask for loaners. If you have anything you think fits the bill or know someone I can contact (maybe a designer of one of the kits you are selling) that would be appreciated. I'm not looking for free speakers. I don't have the space or the use for anything myself anyway. I'm just looking for a way to get a test sample and might be able to cover the shipping there and back if necessary. I think this would be a huge plus for the community to have this kind of data as well.

Thoughts? Feel free to call me if you'd rather do that.

Thanks for your time,
Erin

Here are the links to the recent Klipsch review if you are interested:
Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
while I sit here drenched in 7x15" SEOS horns and some V6's for part of the Scatmos Array,
it occurred to me that a while back, @mtg90 had a bunch of audio "stuff", quite a bit of it actually, he wanted to let go in the classifieds
maybe some of it even relevant to the current DIYSG offerings,
maybe that could also be a source readily available
since it's about the choked supply lines right now that are the cause of 'consternation'
and constipation for getting product out there
HTH

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I wondered, if the kits are missing crossover components, could they be sold as-is and let people hack together their own solution? Some stuff would be easier than others, a capacitor for example, if you’re waiting for a certain value people could opt to source their own or parallel two to get close to the value, etc. Maybe dumb idea but it occurred to me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey all. Thought I'd throw a quick Question up here, as well, and see if the group had any insight. I sent Erich a quick question Sunday and haven't heard back yet. I get it, he's busy and I don't want to hound him at all.

I'm looking at the volt-10's (have been since before I got my 1099's) for surrounds. I've been holding off, because they were out of stock and I'm still about 5-6 months out on actually building my theater room. I was going to hold out on grabbing the surrounds till I was closer to having it finished, but then I came across this thread (and that specific post from Erich) on the vortex's while looking for ideas for a good diy 2.1 speaker setup for vinyl.

The part that got my attention was the mention that he might not do another run of the volt-10's. Anyone know how likely that might be? I really wasn't looking to buy more than two speakers atm, but if that's indeed the case, I'd prefer to get them while I can. I'd patiently wait to hear back from Erich, but I'm getting nervous that they might run out before he gets a chance to respond. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
@HarBlar, Eric said in that thread that he would only drop Volt-10s if everyone stopped ordering them. If you think there's even a slight chance Volt-10s might be dropped from the DIYSG lineup and they are still available now it seems like a no-brainer to just go ahead and order now.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts