AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just ordered some Volt 10's in the angled flat pack about 2 weeks ago. They are due here tomorrow. Yes not every one of my emails were returned originally, but I found Erich's communications excellent, shipping timely, customer service fantastic, and I had to be patient for like a day or two. I didn't think that was unreasonable. I did leave a voicemail after ordering to back up my email, but that was just to try and save him some shipping because I will be ordering 4 more Volt 10's when the Atmos box is available. I could've ordered just the speaker kits and made my own boxes, but thought I would leave some for anyone else that might have been waiting. Personally, I wish him the best and would suggest focusing on his landscape business while things in the construction industry are booming and supply chain issues plague the industry. Too bad he wasn't in NorCal as I will need a backyard soon.

·
Registered
370 Posts
@HarBlar, Eric said in that thread that he would only drop Volt-10s if everyone stopped ordering them. If you think there's even a slight chance Volt-10s might be dropped from the DIYSG lineup and they are still available now it seems like a no-brainer to just go ahead and order now.
Yeah... other than the fact that it’s about double what I was looking to spend on speakers at the moment... then again, that’s pretty much how it went with my 1099 FCR’s, too! Lol 😂

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I'd be happy to send a Vortex 15 to someone for testing once they are available again but as someone mentioned what enclosure would be used?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Here's the continuation of my last post that lays everything out and brings things up to date:

My sister was helping me with kits by counting parts, writing down orders, organizing crossover parts, packing small items, etc. Understandably it took a long time for training but it was running okay. I wanted to hire a couple more people to help with other stuff. I knew I needed to get inventory here before doing that and also find a nicer place than my landscaping warehouse.

So 2018/19 I spent getting inventory.....and I have a lot of it. There’s some really interesting things I haven't even mentioned to you guys yet.

2019 I pushed hard to find a new place and luckily found one late in the year! Sweet, things are moving as planned.

Beginning of 2020 the new building starts getting worked on and then Covid hits. Building renovation comes to a screeching halt. No way to hire and train anyone new in this situation, but I still tried. July rolls around and it’s usually slow so I decide to move the speaker kit packaging stuff to the new place and make the best of it until Covid goes away. Half my stuff is at the old building, half at the new building while trying to move it by myself because Ohio shut down all non essential businesses. Flat packs were still getting packed up at the old building.

August 2020: Going back and forth between both places to get things, my sister doing as much as she could and hoping I find a new employee to help out. Things were kind hectic trying to do orders and track inventory because we were right in the middle moving stuff. My sister got stressed out because Cincinnati really locked things down during the virus. She took a week off to relax, probably not a good idea but I thought it was okay. There were two people I was hoping would be working with me but it just didn't pan out, some of that is/was due to Covid. My sister came back from vacation and I told her I didn't think the people that we hoped would come here were going to at this point. She got more stressed out after that and decided she couldn't do this stuff anymore and basically quit. That was about 6 months ago. Crossover parts were really hard to get back then so I didn't even bother and spent a month finishing up the packaging area myself and moving some more stuff.

2021 - I never heard back from my sister. I interviewed a couple more people and hired a guy in January to help package kits. Training has been very slow due to the number of parts, trying to get parts, packaging methods, etc. It's just a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

April 2021: I have gobs of inventory but no completed stock because there are parts not currently available for nearly every kit….crossover parts, port tubes, some tweeters, etc. So what makes the most sense is to put a notice on the site that I’m going to temporarily stop ordering and just work on the new building to get it finished up. Then work on inventory and organizing. I’ll likely post photos of how things are going so you guys can see how crazy this has all gotten in the past 5 years or so. Maybe this will also show people that I'm not going anywhere and it's because Covid hit at the worst possible time right in the middle of moving to a new building.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Thanks for the update Erich and thanks for hanging in there. I love the kits you sell and look forward to ordering more.

You'd mentioned before the difficulty in training people. Have you thought of looking for an electronics technician or someone with that background? All the one's I've been around are skilled at referencing a Bill of Materials and kitting up packages for manufacturing to build prototypes. Seems like a good fit if you could get the hours and pay that makes everyone happy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Here's the continuation of my last post that lays everything out and brings things up to date:

My sister was helping me with kits by counting parts, writing down orders, organizing crossover parts, packing small items, etc. Understandably it took a long time for training but it was running okay. I wanted to hire a couple more people to help with other stuff. I knew I needed to get inventory here before doing that and also find a nicer place than my landscaping warehouse.

So 2018/19 I spent getting inventory.....and I have a lot of it. There’s some really interesting things I haven't even mentioned to you guys yet.

2019 I pushed hard to find a new place and luckily found one late in the year! Sweet, things are moving as planned.

Beginning of 2020 the new building starts getting worked on and then Covid hits. Building renovation comes to a screeching halt. No way to hire and train anyone new in this situation, but I still tried. July rolls around and it’s usually slow so I decide to move the speaker kit packaging stuff to the new place and make the best of it until Covid goes away. Half my stuff is at the old building, half at the new building while trying to move it by myself because Ohio shut down all non essential businesses. Flat packs were still getting packed up at the old building.

August 2020: Going back and forth between both places to get things, my sister doing as much as she could and hoping I find a new employee to help out. Things were kind hectic trying to do orders and track inventory because we were right in the middle moving stuff. My sister got stressed out because Cincinnati really locked things down during the virus. She took a week off to relax, probably not a good idea but I thought it was okay. There were two people I was hoping would be working with me but it just didn't pan out, some of that is/was due to Covid. My sister came back from vacation and I told her I didn't think the people that we hoped would come here were going to at this point. She got more stressed out after that and decided she couldn't do this stuff anymore and basically quit. That was about 6 months ago. Crossover parts were really hard to get back then so I didn't even bother and spent a month finishing up the packaging area myself and moving some more stuff.

2021 - I never heard back from my sister. I interviewed a couple more people and hired a guy in January to help package kits. Training has been very slow due to the number of parts, trying to get parts, packaging methods, etc. It's just a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

April 2021: I have gobs of inventory but no completed stock because there are parts not currently available for nearly every kit….crossover parts, port tubes, some tweeters, etc. So what makes the most sense is to put a notice on the site that I’m going to temporarily stop ordering and just work on the new building to get it finished up. Then work on inventory and organizing. I’ll likely post photos of how things are going so you guys can see how crazy this has all gotten in the past 5 years or so. Maybe this will also show people that I'm not going anywhere and it's because Covid hit at the worst possible time right in the middle of moving to a new building.
Have you considered selling partial kits? I would guess the majority of guys in this market would be happy to get what they can, and try to find the missing parts, or close replacements on their own. This would get a lot of that inventory out of your warehouse and bring in some cash.

Reactions: chadsmith013

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Ohhh boy, will you leave us hanging after such a tease? :) Take your time and do what you have to do, we'll be here ready to go when you are.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Have you considered selling partial kits? I would guess the majority of guys in this market would be happy to get what they can, and try to find the missing parts, or close replacements on their own. This would get a lot of that inventory out of your warehouse and bring in some cash.
One decision I made when I first started doing the kits was to never borrow any money and instead pay for all the audio stuff in full. So luckily I don't need to worry about whether things sell to get cash flow. That's why it's not the end of the world taking down some kits for a while to go through all the inventory and get things running smoother. Some kits just never get built and should be phased out to make things easier. No joke, the last of the angled Volt-8's sold about a month ago and I gave the flat packs away for free. They were the ones I originally had cut about 7 years ago.

I did think about selling kits without the parts that are currently missing. The problem is figuring out how much the kit would sell for each time a different part was out of stock and then changing the product page to explain.....'this week the price went down $12 but you need to order these inductors'. 'This week the price went up $8 because I used Jantzen inductors instead of ERSE.'

The biggest issue right now is taking from other kits to keep something else moving. Like taking the 12uf caps from the S2000 kits because their ports are out of stock and can't sell anyway. So I use the 12uf caps in the HTM-12 because people needed them. Okay, now the compression drivers are out of stock for the HTM-12 and those can't be sold. Ports are back in stock for the S2000.......but can't sell them now because the 12uf caps were taken out to sell the HTM-12. :) And you can imagine how crazy it is now with so many different kits and parts.

Another issue is that MTG90 and I never really thought there would be big shortages like this so crossover boards are designed for specific parts. The Volts could use an inductor from PE that they just got in stock. But the circuit board was designed for a smaller inductor that comes from ERSE. Dayton brand 12uf capacitor won't fit on a circuit board designed for an Audyn brand 12uf capacitor. S2000, Apollo, Helix, Speedsters, and all their MTM counterparts had flat packs cut for certain ports. Those ports have been out of stock for months and only available from one place. I check and they're supposed to be in stock in 25 days.....do I redesign the box using another port and have the cabinet company cut 50 new cabinets, or just wait 25 days until the standard ports come in stock? Most people would wait. 25 days later, delivery time on the ports goes from March 20th to May 05 and here we are again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s a “perfect storm” type of situation that no one could have anticipated. And it will take some time to rectify. I am thankful that you are able to keep going at all. A lot of people would not be able to. And it appears that we have a lot to look forward to. Thanks Erich!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know I certainly appreciate the information. Thanks for your continued efforts. I think the wait will make the 1099's all the more worth it when I can finally get some :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the update! Seconding the idea of partial kits, I wouldn’t change the price, maybe do a partial refund for missing parts? And the crossover fit etc, it’s nice when it all fits but I’d slap whatever on there and if the right fit part comes along swap it later or don’t. Just a thought and really appreciate you and Diysg!

·
Registered
865 Posts
@Erich H , bummer you are a bit far, I’m in Cleveland, and would give ya a hand...

you need to find some college interns looking for an “entrepreneurship” where they get no pay, college credit, and real experience understanding how big a jump it is to go from one product idea to a whole line of products, inventory logistics, just in time scheduling, etc...

maybe you should charge them “tuition” for your course!

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I don't speak for Erich and don't want to put words in his mouth but I would think the biggest concern with selling partials is quality control. Erich and the speaker designer put together a kit with specific parts and they measured and tweaked that design using those parts. If you don't provide all the parts, for the crossover for example, Erich doesn't know what the customer will be using. Then you get posts like "My 1099's I just built sound like crap!" Who knows what parts they used?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I don't speak for Erich and don't want to put words in his mouth but I would think the biggest concern with selling partials is quality control. Erich and the speaker designer put together a kit with specific parts and they measured and tweaked that design using those parts. If you don't provide all the parts, for the crossover for example, Erich doesn't know what the customer will be using. Then you get posts like "My 1099's I just built sound like crap!" Who knows what parts they used?
Exactly this. Some can figure out the pieces needed to fill in the blanks, not so for most.

I don't understand the confusion around why the DIYSG kits aren't available. Supply chains in virtually every category are either depleted or postponed (look at the auto industry, computers, lumber, etc.) these days. Things aren't the same as they used to be since the pandemic hit, and many of those things will not return to what we knew as "normal" when it's over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Erich
Have you thought about doing a waiting list? I feel if people could see that they were on a list, and knew that when parts finally came in they were in line to get a kit, they would feel more at ease. Plus, you could see what the actual demand is for a certain speaker. I know you were doing pre-orders for the 1099s but that holds you accountable for filling the order. A list is just first come first serve. Just my 2 cents. One last thing, thanks for what you do, we are lucky to have you in our community.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the longer we wait, the more fun we have in some sense because the best toy is the toy we don't have. Most of us already have a decent setup at home, so it's not like we depend on the current shortage in supply to provide sound at home. Having said that I still hope that Erich got things in stock tomorrow, and I support the idea of forming a waiting list. I'll get on that list for LCR 1099's right away.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
One decision I made when I first started doing the kits was to never borrow any money and instead pay for all the audio stuff in full. So luckily I don't need to worry about whether things sell to get cash flow. That's why it's not the end of the world taking down some kits for a while to go through all the inventory and get things running smoother. Some kits just never get built and should be phased out to make things easier. No joke, the last of the angled Volt-8's sold about a month ago and I gave the flat packs away for free. They were the ones I originally had cut about 7 years ago.

I did think about selling kits without the parts that are currently missing. The problem is figuring out how much the kit would sell for each time a different part was out of stock and then changing the product page to explain.....'this week the price went down $12 but you need to order these inductors'. 'This week the price went up $8 because I used Jantzen inductors instead of ERSE.'

The biggest issue right now is taking from other kits to keep something else moving. Like taking the 12uf caps from the S2000 kits because their ports are out of stock and can't sell anyway. So I use the 12uf caps in the HTM-12 because people needed them. Okay, now the compression drivers are out of stock for the HTM-12 and those can't be sold. Ports are back in stock for the S2000.......but can't sell them now because the 12uf caps were taken out to sell the HTM-12. :) And you can imagine how crazy it is now with so many different kits and parts.

Another issue is that MTG90 and I never really thought there would be big shortages like this so crossover boards are designed for specific parts. The Volts could use an inductor from PE that they just got in stock. But the circuit board was designed for a smaller inductor that comes from ERSE. Dayton brand 12uf capacitor won't fit on a circuit board designed for an Audyn brand 12uf capacitor. S2000, Apollo, Helix, Speedsters, and all their MTM counterparts had flat packs cut for certain ports. Those ports have been out of stock for months and only available from one place. I check and they're supposed to be in stock in 25 days.....do I redesign the box using another port and have the cabinet company cut 50 new cabinets, or just wait 25 days until the standard ports come in stock? Most people would wait. 25 days later, delivery time on the ports goes from March 20th to May 05 and here we are again.
i got stressed out just reading this...we do appreciate you..im sure its a tough job

61 - 80 of 80 Posts