AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm waiting on a jolida envoy tube preamp w what i'm told is a smoking phono stage to be delivered. i thought i'd check out some vinyl. i really want to keep under $150 budget. i see many pro/dj turntables at this price pt. are these tables going to tear up lps? sound good? or should i suck it up and buy a rega or music hall for $300? thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd /forum/post/0

i'm waiting on a jolida envoy tube preamp w what i'm told is a smoking phono stage to be delivered. i thought i'd check out some vinyl. i really want to keep under $150 budget. i see many pro/dj turntables at this price pt. are these tables going to tear up lps? sound good? or should i suck it up and buy a rega or music hall for $300? thanks

Suck it up !! Yes buy the Music Hall, Rega or ProJect.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:

Pretty much all of those other pro/dj turntables stink. I'd say get a 1200. If you can find one of those others cheaper then a new 1200, then go for it.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'd say budget under $150 new DJ/Pro TT's typically stink. Now if you talking older tables that have been in use by DJ's and radio stations that may be completely different. But most of those cost more than $300. I like a lot of the old EMT and Denons that were sold to radio stations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Djmoose is correct. There is no substitute for a 1200 for dj/pro applications. The MK2, first released in '79 remains, with minor tweaks over the years, the industry standard to this day. That's why any dj or club in the world worth its salt will have them.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:

There is are only 2 'pro-level' turntables- technics 1200 and the 1210 and they are about 400 new. Minor differences between them--they are essentially the same. They won't scratch ur vinyl as they don't touch them, the cartridges do. if you get good cartridges, you will be fine. if you use crap cartridges, it will sound crap and additionally damage ur records even if you use $10000 turntables.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking of this, I need to get a new cartridge for my 1200 before I start using it again to archive my vinyl. The Shure V15s have been discontinued but I hear good things about the Grados. Can anyone vouch for them? Want to keep it under $200 as I also will need to invest in a Nitty Gritty cleaner.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:

So you are going to pop for a $300 TT and the associated album cost just to "check out some vinyl" and the phono stage of you new preamp?

Or, you have a nice vinyl collection already and I didn't catch that?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also not as common but the Technics 1700 and 1800 are darn good tables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.