AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, id like to just start off by saying i am just starting out DJing. I have currently bought the new Traktor S4 controller with a MacBook Pro and Pioneer HDJ1000 Headphones Limited Edition.

I have always had a passion for great sounding speakers, my parents have always had Bang & Olufsen set throughout the house as well as Bose...so i guess i know what a great sound really sounds like. However, when i tested my SAMSUNG HT-X715 5.1 Theatre System with my Traktor controller connected with an RCA cable (red/white to red/white) the sound would not reach its full potential (around 30% infact) and if turned up anymore on my controller would crackle alot.

Since having this problem i started to look for specific DJ speakers...but came across a few problems, one being knowledge since theres more than i thought.

I am looking for loud, good sounding speakers with a good bass for home use (i like to play my mixes loud) and for party use with no more than 20 people, with an average sized living room for after parties.

My budget is £350 - $550...

I have been drawn into these Yamaha HS80 speakers (without the subwoofer due to budget, but could be bought at a later date) but not sure whether they are the right kind of speakers to buy.

Any help would be appreciated as i know theres alot of people on here that can kindly help me.

Anything i might have missed out that would be helpful to anyone please point out.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I've mixed FOH sound extensively for a lond time. I've also dabbled in DJing in the 80s and 90s. Your budget is tight, but here is my take.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. So, if I were you, I'd look at double 15", two-ways. That way you can largely get by without a sub, and the crucial chest thump frequencies will be aptly covered. Music doesn't need a sub with capabilities down past 35hz or so, so don't fret that.

Here is what you need. It is way past your budget, but this you'd be happy with for a long time. It's got built in power, you'd be set. If you could get more to purchase with, this would be my recomendation.

This is right at your price range if you can't get additional funding. The speakers are passive, however what you get for the money is hard to ignore.

For amp power, I'd look at Crown's class D drive core stuff, why?... because it weighs 12 pounds.

The Behringer 15" two-ways are very reasonable, however I've never heard them. Whatever you get, make sure you get a real compression driver for the HF.

Good luck

Consider your purchases long term, so you can build your system scaleable, for large shows as well as small.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.