AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Being a newbie to this forum I have to say that this seems like a great place for informative reading. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I purchased a used Kodak dp 850 (dl 450 clone) a while back which worked good for about 5 hours usage then developed a fault. The unit cost $1900 Australian (approx $950 USD) the repair quote is $1800 AUD (approx $850 USD).

This is to help decide to repair or cut a loss. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

The questions I have are

1. Is this a good projector for the money?

(total $3700AUD $1850USD)

2. Will this projector work well in a room 5 meters X 3.8 meters with 9 ft ceilings? Eg excessive keystoning.

3. What features in a screen should i look for? In a pull down type.

4. What ideas can I perform to enhance the picture quality of it. Keeping to a lowish budget.

5. If you have this projector what is you opinion on it and how have you got it setup. Links to pics would be great.

6. Is there anywhere I can source spare parts new or used for this model. In particular a formater board. Website or e-mail preferred.

Thanks in advance

Dale Williams

------------------

Patience is a virtue of a lonely man.

· Registered
637 Posts
This projector is definitely worth $1900 (US) when repaired.

What's the "fault" you mention?

The projector will work well in your room. Check out http://www.techsupport.davis.no/frm_...intro_tech.asp and download the screen calculator. You'll get an idea of how big a screen you'll be able to display.

All dlp projectors exhibit a halo (excess light around the image). The only thing I'd recommend for the screen is that you paint the wall behind it a dark color, or put up dark fabric. It will hide the halo.

Use a PC to feed the projector. The internal scaler isn't very good. The picture looks much better than with just a dvd player or even a cheap scaler like dvdo.

I own the Kodak version of the DL450. I think it's a great projector for the price range. It can be a little loud because of the color wheel, but that can be dealt with by creating a hushbox.

Tim

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Whether you keep the projector or not is a choice but to repair it or not is a no brainer....

No matter how tight the budget it strikes me as crazy not to spend USD$850 to fix a unit that will then be worth min $1500 - $1800... Otherwise its too big to be a paperweight and also an awkward doorstop...

Fix it first then you can decide with the machine running if it is for you or to be sold...

Also if you have a specific of the problem you may find people on this board who could fix it... Thumper seems to have plenty of parts and would have worked on my Viewsonic...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys

It looks like I'll be repairing it then. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tim Smith,

I didn't realise to look for the evc cable when i brought it, which I don't have. So how would i go about connecting it to my PC?? I read about installing rubber washers between the colour wheel assembly and the chassis to reduce noise. Does this work?

As for the problem. The picture has lots of noise, static like. There is a lot of colour blur and streaking, especially with the reds. The colour wheel noise isn't constant, it's like it's speeding up and down eratically. If I enter the menu, the menu sections of picture are perfect, no noise or other prolems. I could get a picture (pretty dull and ordinary) If i select s-video and actually have it connected with component (I think it's component, the yellow part of red/white/yellow)

Phat Phreddy,

How would I get in contact with Thumper to discuss parts??

Thanks Dale Williams.

------------------

· Registered
637 Posts
Look for threads about removing the buffer box. This allows you to go from evc to hd15. This supposedly looks better than with the davis buffer box. I don't know because I'm still using the buffer as it allows me to get access to the serial control of the projector.

You can probably get a buffer box from Chatani.com (or maybe Alan, here at av science).

What version of the projector firmware are you using. The version that came with my projector was horrible. NTSC signals were unwatchable, but the PC signals were fine. You may just need to update the software. In that case it would cost you about $100 US for the cable and the upgrade software from Davis. However, you also need the buffer box and I have no idea what that would cost.

Tim

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tim,

When it was being quoted the firmware got upgraded because I was told that it was corrupted and could be the ploblem. But the problem still persists. I'm not sure of the exact version of firmware though, as the unit is still at the shop.

Dale.

------------------

· Registered
55 Posts
I've seen this problem before - It could be a number of different things - but there are 2 main things possible:

1) The mainboard (bottom of the projector) is bad (replacement needed), but the PC-input will still work - therefore - save money and buy a DB15 -> EVC cable, and feed the projector from your PC.

2) You selected the wrong videoformat - use the "green button" on top of the projector to change format... TRY IT.

Best regards and by the way - it's a great machine

Soren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.