AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could any of you help me out in regards to this unit? I have been unable to find any reviews of it. I know it is expensive so if anyone has seen it compared to the Sharp 9000, Sony 11ht etc. your comments would be welcome. I am looking to buy a non CRT unit and am trying to determine which unit would be best for a approx 100" screen at about a 19' throw distance. There is so much knowledge on this board that I felt there may be a few folks who could help a non technical theatre novice like myself. I appreciate any input. Many thanks, Gabe

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
A few people here have seen it. The talk thats been going around here though is that if you were to buy the G-15, have it calibrated by Cliff or William Phelps and or Dilard and then buy a hushbox for it, you would get a projector equal to the G-150 but for less money.

The G-150 is a G15 that has been calibrated by JVC, is quieter than the G15 and when built uses the best G15 panels JVC has.

The G-150 does have different software than the G15. This software is more for calibrating purposes than for general use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your take on the contrast ratio difference? The 15 is 350:1 while the 150 is 600:1. Also being in the SFV do you know where I could see these units? Also get specs (the webgsite does not have dimensions of the units or throw distances)? Thanks again

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The reason the G-150 contrast ratio is so much higher is because it has been calibrated by JVC. If you have the G15 calibrated by Cliff or William, you will get close to G-150 number.

I dont know anyone that has the dilas set up. but that doesnt mean there isnt one . However, there is a place in the city that just recently opened and is a showroom for dilas only. Its supposed to be for dealers only, but I was told before it opened that they would let me in since I had the G11 and I was part of the family. They for sure have the G-150 and the RPTV and maybe the G15. There is someone else interested in seeing one in LA, maybe the three of us could get together and go see them. I dont know if they are opened during the weekend, so it might have to be a weekday.

PS You cant see mine since I am still waiting for my scaler to come and have to attach the panny lens

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help so far. One response I am hoping to see still is whether anyone has seen this unit and can compare it to the G15 (fan noise, contrast to calibrated G15, etc.) and the Sharp 9000. In non CRT and LCD these two seem to be emerging as the best options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.