AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I really haven't been on the forum too much lately and might be looking to upgrade my JVC projector. I have the DLA-X790R with just over 500 hours and maybe looking to upgrade to the RS3000/N9. I know the latter is a better projector and has Auto Tone Mapping but will I notice a BIG difference by going to this projector? A comparison may have already been made but I couldn't find it. Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hello everyone, I really haven't been on the forum too much lately and might be looking to upgrade my JVC projector. I have the DLA-X790R with just over 500 hours and maybe looking to upgrade to the RS3000/N9. I know the latter is a better projector and has Auto Tone Mapping but will I notice a BIG difference by going to this projector? A comparison may have already been made but I couldn't find it. Thanks
What are you using with your current projector for 4k hdr movies? Custom curves ? Stock hdr settings ? Or any external dtm ?
The big difference you will see is with dtm from all sources if ur not using it already and of course the sharper image, contrast should be close between both, so it really depends on what are u using now and what u watch mostly 4k hdr or 1080p movies.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using an himedia h10 pro, PS4 pro, XBOX One X. I The Himedia H10 plays my full ripped 4k disc. I tried a custom curve awhile ago but the picture was some what washed out.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Probably the biggest differences between the two is that the RS3000 will not have contrast or a price tag as good as your X790 but you will gain a better lens, dynamic tone mapping (unless you are going to use a Lumagen or MadVR), and higher resolution.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am using an himedia h10 pro, PS4 pro, XBOX One X. I The Himedia H10 plays my full ripped 4k disc. I tried a custom curve awhile ago but the picture was some what washed out.
Your X790 is an excellent projector and one of the best till today, you havent seen what its fully capable off since uve never used dtm, it ll be like you upgraded to a new better projector.
If your willing to add an external dtm ( lumagen or madVR ) than the difference will be smaller, just better lens and sharpness, but if you want the easy way but more expensive get an NX9 and u will see a big difference between both projector without external help.
Its up to you and on ur budget, but the way it is now in your setup, yes you will see a big difference with 4K HDR material.

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
Probably the biggest differences between the two is that the RS3000 will not have contrast or a price tag as good as your X790 but you will gain a better lens, dynamic tone mapping (unless you are going to use a Lumagen or MadVR), and higher resolution.
Really not going to see a contrast difference between these two projectors. Even at -15, the difference is 100,000:1 vs 130,000:1. Not enough difference to tell. While I will always welcome a higher number and hope that JVC improves the contrast, going forward, it is still just a number improvement. 200,000:1 would show an actual improvement. :)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Really not going to see a contrast difference between these two projectors. Even at -15, the difference is 100,000:1 vs 130,000:1. Not enough difference to tell. While I will always welcome a higher number and hope that JVC improves the contrast, going forward, it is still just a number improvement. 200,000:1 would show an actual improvement. :)
That makes sense. I recall others here have generally mentioned a noticeable difference where there's a doubling of the contrast figures. Probably the lens on your NX9 would be one of the most noticeable differences, I would imagine.

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
That makes sense. I recall others here have generally mentioned a noticeable difference where there's a doubling of the contrast figures. Probably the lens on your NX9 would be one of the most noticeable differences, I would imagine.
With two projectors that measure the same, contrast wise, if one projector has a much better lens, the contrast on that projector will appear that it is better.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
With the NX9s 8k pixel shifting, do you notice any difference with motion? Or sharpness? Does it function with frame interpolation, black frame insertion, or motion acceleration?

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
With two projectors that measure the same, contrast wise, if one projector has a much better lens, the contrast on that projector will appear that it is better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts