AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I did a bit of searching on this forum on this topic, but I'm still a bit confused. It appears the North American 2009 Viera models do not have DLNA built in (I have a v10, and if the feature is there, it's extremely well hidden). However, the European models do have the feature (and DivX support), as this release indicates:

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...4979119&EDATE=

Two questions:

- Has Panasonic explained why the feature is missing from NA models? Legal issues? Compatibility issues with NA specific services or hardware?

- Has there been any word on when the feature will be introduced, if ever?

Don't get me wrong, I love my new v10 without or without DLNA - and I certainly don't feel entitled to a feature that wasn't listed in the specs when I bought the product.

However, I think DLNA is the one Viera cast feature that makes perfect sense. If I want to check a stock price, it's 1000x easier to do that on my phone or computer. However, a TV is the ideal place for steaming movies from my media server - at least I can avoid turning on yet another device (Xbox, PS3, AppleTV, etc...).

Photos also look *incredible* on these sets btw, and rapid access to the photos on my media server would be equally useful (e.g. check out these photos - bang! vs. ummm, let me show you some photos, hang out while I boot up my PS3 and login, and ...) - much useful than Picasa integration IMHO.

Not sure how stocks and weather made the cut, but DLNA didn't - hopefully an update is right around the corner?

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
...I know that folks on this forum are more advanced than most...but I have found friends and acquaintances who were blown away by the DLNA capabilities of my son's PS3. The PS3 is a fabulous video player. So yes, I would like the Panny North American plasmas to do DLNA, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of owner of 42V10E, i can tell you - DLNA 1.0 support on european version of Panasonic V10 model isn't victory... Althought V10 is HDTV and this TV can handle HD video from Camcoders, DVB etc., from DLNA no! Althought it is certified DivX player, DivX HD canno't be streamed etc, etc...

Also I have some videos based od MPEG2 audio, video and it isn't possible to play it directly, only by reencoding or on-fly transcoding by DLNA DMS (TVersity for ex.)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PajaSoft - can it stream DVD VOB / MP2 files? If so, that alone would be hugely useful. One reason I ripped my DVDs to a media server was my children, who are walking DVD/CD buzz saws (as I'm sure many on this board can relate to)... Being able to stream my DVD library without having to turn on a video game console would avoid the "but I want to play XXX game" - in addition to being convenient.

One more question: out of curiosity - where is DLNA integrated into the interface? Is it in the lower right hand corner? On North American sets, the lower right corner says "for future use".

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmn /forum/post/17018685

PajaSoft - can it stream DVD VOB / MP2 files? If so, that alone would be hugely useful. One reason I ripped my DVDs to a media server was my children, who are walking DVD/CD buzz saws (as I'm sure many on this board can relate to)... Being able to stream my DVD library without having to turn on a video game console would avoid the "but I want to play XXX game" - in addition to being convenient.

One more question: out of curiosity - where is DLNA integrated into the interface? Is it in the lower right hand corner? On North American sets, the lower right corner says "for future use".

Thanks!

John

If you think right on the "panel" when you switch VieraTools on RCU? Than YES! The most right item on panel is MediaServer - the gate to DLNA support...:) But if you meen right corner on VieraCast than no, there is Google Picasa...

To now, I try some files on hard drive... - rip etc., but some of them were VIDEO_TS structure of DVD... It isn't subject of my interest, but some sound and video was produced... - I don't know if language track, subtitles... are accessible or switchable in any way or some issues of playing exists...

I own some DVD too, so I will try it and response later...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.