AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Mits WD6500 DLP set. It can display at 720p, but most of the HD content I watch is 1080i. Why is this Mits unit's DLP only 720p? Will I notice a difference when viewing 1080i content compared to a rear projection (i.e. the WS-65908)?

Are there other DLP sets that display at 1080i? How does the Mits DLP set stack up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
All of the current and next generation (HD2 chip) DLP's are 720P. The new ones coming out will include DVI for complete digital connection (except Mitsubishi) which will improve the picture. All of the new STB's (DirecTV) will have DVI. The Mitsubishi is over priced. I would wait for the new Toshiba 57HLX82 coming Q4. It will be the first 1080P display (LCOS) and be priced under $10K.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The reason that the Mits DLP set only displays 720p is that it uses a DMD mirror chip that has 1280x720 mirrors, one for each pixel. That is the max DMD chip for consumer sets, for now. TI makes a 1280x1024 DMD, but it is not intended for RPTV's. The Mits CRT based RPTVs are very good, one of my favorite RPTV's, but use 7" CRTs, like most RPTV's and cannot display the full 1920x1080i HDTV resolution. Most 7" CRT based RPTV's can display something like 1200 to 1600 horizontal lines of resolution, this is just the technology limit of a 7" CRT. So you really do not get the full 1080i with the other set either. I have seen the Mits DLP set twice and I though it looked very good. The blacks are not as black as a CRT set, but the bright seens were brighter. The big issue with it is cost and newer technology coming out. Samsung will be introducing a new DLP set based on the HD2 chip which should improve the blacks some and it will cost much less, ~ $4500 for the 50". Unfortunately only Mits offers a 65" DLP set. Also one other thing I noticed on the Mits DLP set was it had a very narrow verticle viewing angle, as you stand up from a chair the brightness will drop-off quickly.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.