AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an installation where I need to vertically project 1080p (full HD) 16:9 images (ie: portrait orientation).

Assuming that LCD projectors have inherent thermal issues, as the panels can overheat due to increased heat flow, I'll need to use DLP.

As an example, Projectiondesign's F22 DLP projectors can be rotated 360º around the lens axis.

However, as the installation has 3 separate images, the client will have cost concerns, so I'm researching other options such as the Optoma HD8200, or other similar units that output around 2500 ANSI.

I haven't been able to ascertain if vertical mounting will work for ANY DLP projector -- I'd really appreciate any insights that the group can offer.

Many thanks for your kind assistance!

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
I think it's probably OK as long as the rotation is about the lamp's axis, defined by electode to electrode.

How you find out the orientation is another question.

The safe way is to ask the mfgr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Noah.

I've been in touch w/ some distributors but no definitive answers yet.

Am also wondering if someone on the AVS forums might have prior experience w/ vertical (portrait) mounting?

- much obliged!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have. We mount projectors in all sorts of orientations. But as you are finding, you need to research things a bit.

First off, you have needlessly ruled out LCD, as the current generations of LCD panels use different materials and are not prone to the thermal degradation they used to get. And unless the panels were immediately above the lamp, mounting them vertically may not increase their heat exposure anyway.

Back to DLPs, as Noah says, if you rotate around the lamp, you may be fine. But different projectors have different optic paths. Some have a L-shaped path with the lamp at one side or the other aiming inward. Some have a U-shaped path with the lamp facing the back of the projector.

The former can usually be rotated to aim upwards, and the latter can usually be rotated around the axis of the lens. However, the position of electronics in the case as well as the air paths within it also enter into the equation.

So what it really comes down to, again as Noah has pointed out, is asking the manufacturer.

I'll check and see what we have used lately, although the pickings get slimmer cost-wise when you require 1080p.

BB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GREAT info, Brandon; many thanks for emphasizing the importance of the optic path re orientation concerns.

Good to hear that LCD might also be possible / I was feeling very cautious as to the potential for panel burns.

I'd be very interested in hearing what units have been used in your previous vertical installs, regardless of DLP vs LCD... and I certainly heed your and Noah's sage advice re consulting with the manufacturer.

If a 3 x 1080p projector installation was just too costly, I'd have to advise the client to go with 720p... but still exploring options at this stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts