Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am ramping up for a front projector purchase to replace my tiny 57" widescreen RPTV. However, I need to pay special attention to the needs of my significant other who is prone to seizures.

I am considering several DLP projectors and am wondering if what causes individuals to see rainbows could act as a trigger for seizures.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
301 Posts
The rainbows that would be visible from a current DLP projector occur much faster than the flashing images that I've heard can cause seizures.

The colors are occuring at a rate faster than projected film, if that helps. Does your "other" avoid film because of risk?

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have epilepsy and have never had a DLP cause a seizure.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I have had over a hundred people come watch movies in my home. Several of them are professional photographers, a few artists, and two folks with epilepsy.

Nobody has ever had eyestrain or a headache and of course no seizures.

They only place ytou read wild stories about DLP causing horrific eyestrain and headaches, etc. is here on the AVS Forum.

See if you can borrow or rent a DLP projector and see if you have any problems with it. There are many good technologies out there and some prefer one over another.

-- Cain

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just don't sit too close. The one and only time I got a headache from a DLP was sitting way too close at a demo. Less than one screen width. Found out later that others including the manufacturer had noticed the same thing. Went back to the same demo again, sat further back and felt absolutely nothing.

I would expect this to be true of all DLPs that are using the same color wheel technology.

Other than that, the only seizure I've had is envy seizure when I saw all these great new DLPs at CES! :)

Seriously doubt there would be a problem but Cain's suggestion is a good one. You could probably rent a NEC HT1000 for test purposes. Good luck.

Dan

Dan

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
They only place ytou read wild stories about DLP causing horrific eyestrain and headaches, etc. is here on the AVS Forum.
AVS Forum members are more suseptible to these maladies because they look too hard. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.