AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but can you place a non-shielded speaker near a DLP television. For example, I can't place the speaker near an old picture tube TV without distorting the picture. I just bought a Sammy HLP5063W DLP and the front speakers will be dangerously close to the TV.

Thanks,

Gunther

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GuntherKS
This might be a stupid question, but can you place a non-shielded speaker near a DLP television. For example, I can't place the speaker near an old picture tube TV without distorting the picture. I just bought a Sammy HLP5063W DLP and the front speakers will be dangerously close to the TV.

Thanks,

Gunther
I believe the answer is yes because DLP's aren't affected by magnetic forces the way CRT tubes are. But I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me will chime in here.

· Registered
106 Posts
I will not call myself alot smarter, but I will affirm that this should not be a problem. I would make sure you have mag. shielded cables, but I think subs are the only speakers with enough power to cause a major problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TJK & JJ, thanks for the responses. Sounds like the picture will not be effected because there is no tube. Can anyone comment if there is anything else that could be a problem (electronics, circuitry, wires)? The sub is far enough away, but these speakers do have a powerful 8" woofer in it.

Thanks again,

Gunther

· Registered
250 Posts
The answer is yes. You can use non shielded speakers near a DLP. Although I would not say that magnetism would not affect anything I know that I have a full range speaker 5" beside my HLN5065. Vandersteen 2ci to be precise(tweeter, midrange, 8"woofer, 10" passive radiator). Also, early Samsung literature specifically stated no effect would arise from unshielded speakers. Hopes this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.