Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HLN507W and Samsung T-160.

Should you change the output on the T-160 based on the broadcast specifications and allow the DLP to scale the picture from there??? I see what to do when the broadcast is 720p, but what about when it is not... See examples below.

Watching MNF in 720p. Set the T-160 to output at 720p and no scaling takes place. Life is good.

Watching CSI in 1080i. Set the T-160 to output at 1080i and the DLP scales the image??

Watching CSI in 1080i. Set the T-160 to output at 720p and what happens??

·
Registered
81 Posts
From what I've read you should set the T-160 to 720p and let the cable box do the scaling. The picture will be better this way. You should test it out yourself though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it at 720p currently and it looks great. So probably need to set it to 1080i during one of the broadcast and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
345 Posts
From what I've seen, the ts 160 does a pretty good job of scaling 1080 to 720. I leave mine at 720 all the time. You could try switching to 1080 for 1080 shows but his is a real pain with the switch in the back. While the monitor may do a better job of scaling 1080 to 720, I bet you can't tell the difference. Leave it on 720.

The Motorola 5100 is another story ... I wish it had a native setting. The 5100's 1080 to 720 scaling is not as good as the Samsung ts 160.

·
2,432 Posts
Does the Sammy box use the Faroudja DCDi chip too? If not you may want to let the set scale with that chip and set it to 1080i when viewing those channels.

I guess it could be a hassle setting it if you cant do it with a remote.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
Does the Sammy box use the Faroudja DCDi chip too? If not you may want to let the set scale with that chip and set it to 1080i when viewing those channels.

I guess it could be a hassle setting it if you cant do it with a remote.
The chip only works with DVD based film material. Or get the Sony or Zenith box, which allows native by pass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.