AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm under the impression that DLP tvs are limited on the high end to 720p and that they don't do 1080i, am I confused?

I'm assuming then that when a DLP receives a 1080i signal like say Discovery channel HD it then converts it to 720p.

I have a standard RPTV and have been just looking at DLPs because I want to go all digital.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You are correct on both counts. Technology can, of course, improve, but that is where it stands today.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
godochaos:

Welcome to the AVS Forum!

720p is the native resolution of DLP RPTVs so everything gets scaled to that resolution. Don't confuse 1080p with 1080i - most people can[t tell the difference between 1080i and 720p.

I have a 50" DLP fed by a DVI output digital cable box and a DVI output DVD player, so everything is in the digital domain until it hits my eyes. It is great - no regrets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently using DVD w DVI to RPT(crt) and based on Arun Gupta's (sp?) championing of the digital to digital to digital connection, and DLP, i'm seriously thinking about going to DLP so I can have a pure digital image without any conversions. But, my 1100 dollar analog RPT looks GREAT, so i'm having a hard time deciding if its worth 4000 dollars for a DLP. Is the extra cost going to get me a benefit relative to the cost. I guess thats a personal decision that a guy just has to make on his own.

My plan is when i get the Bravo D2, to take it with the DVI cable to ultimate electronics and hook it up to a DLP and see it first hand on maybe one of the HLN sammies and just mess with it and really try to make a decision based on how it looks firsthand.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
so i'm having a hard time deciding if its worth 4000 dollars for a DLP. Is the extra cost going to get me a benefit relative to the cost.

There's no f*cking way a DLP is worth $4,000. There are dozens (hundreds?) of better things to do with the money. But sometime, you've just got to spoil yourself and buy the latest and greatest toy out there. Would I ever spend $30,000+ on a car? No. Would I ever spend $3,000 on a watch or $1,000 on a suit? No. But gosh darn it, I have a *really* nice TV that I love.

guess thats a personal decision that a guy just has to make on his own.

Exactly. Just don't try and justify it with your brain. Go with your heart.

PS: for what's is worth, my SubZero refrigerator cost more than my TV. I didn't buy it; it came with the house. Who the heck spends $5,000 on a refrigerator that does the Exact.Same.Thing (i.e. keeps food cold) as every other refrigerator? People spend insane amounts of money on all sorts of crazy things. At least with a TV, you get a better picture or a bigger picture for your money.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by godochaos
My plan is when i get the Bravo D2, to take it with the DVI cable to ultimate electronics and hook it up to a DLP and see it first hand on maybe one of the HLN sammies and just mess with it and really try to make a decision based on how it looks firsthand.
Good idea. Pick your favorite DVD. Play it on your current TV. Then play it on the Sammy with DVI input. Then decide if it is worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
Good idea. Pick your favorite DVD. Play it on your current TV. Then play it on the Sammy with DVI input. Then decide if it is worth the extra $$.
LOL

Your Sig is longer than your post. hehe

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdraw
LOL

Your Sig is longer than your post. hehe
Yep, keeps me from writing long posts. :D Although I give in to temptation periodically. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's my understanding (and I could be dreaming again) that TI has announced a 1900x1080 DLP chip. This would tell me that some time in the near future DLP sets will be able to handle 1080i/p.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You are right. If you click on this link, you will see more detail on this xHD3 chip. Expect a Samsung DLP TV based on this chip later this year.

By the way, all DLP sets handle 1080i today, they scale it down to 720p. This is true for all the digital HDTV sets in the market today, since none are 1920x1080.

http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.