AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Samsung HL-S5087W DLP TV. We moved and now have a south facing living room with 5 windows. Watching TV has become very difficult during the day as the room gets very bright. I have the TV positioned so it gets no direct sunlight but wife insists on having the windows open to be able to see the birds and mountains. So we are now in the market for a brighter TV after trying every brightening trick we could with this one.

I love the price on Plasma's but know from reading here they are not quite as bright as LCD/LED televisions. BUT if they are significantly brighter then DLP's then it may still work. Any opinions on this, or for such a bright room should I just run at a LCD/LED set?

Thank you,

Nate

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Speaking in terms of technologies, not specific TVs, plasma does offer an image that is substantially brighter than your old DLP.

Plus, you get a wider off-axis angle for viewing movies and shows. In other words, you don't have to have everyone crowd around a narrow sweet spot like on your DLP. The performance of plasmas beats LCDs and LEDs in this area.

Thirdly, plasma has a more evenly-lit panel than does LCD and LED. You're used to a pronounced hotspot on your DLP where the lamp focuses most of its light output. A plasmas cells are lit individually and offer superior even lighting. To a lesser degree than your DLP, LCds and LEDs will still have that hotspot.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
With the DLP I bought 6 years ago and which sat in corner in front of South facing Windows with open shades I never had any viewing angle problems at 45% for any where else in the room and it had totally even brightness on the screen. Only after several years of full use did I have to replace the bulb because the brightness level dropped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't know the bulb got dimmer with age. Thought it would just burn out. Yes it stinks on the viewing angle but we have a long narrow living room anyway. The viewing angle is really annoying though if someone wants to lay on the floor.

I'm also getting a darkness on the right hand side of the screen that fades into the picture about an inch and a half. Not sure I want to spend the money for repair and a new bulb on this tv, as I've been tossing around upgrading before the new home anyway.

I just wish I could see a plasma and a DLP side by side to compare brightness. I see LCD's and Plasma's side by side in stores so I can see the brightness difference easily there but I'm still unsure how much brighter a plasma would be from a DLP. Can't find anyone that carries DLP's anymore.

Just hate to jump on a plasma and find it wanting in the bright light after I get it home and have to take it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.