AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read from htadvice that DLP bulbs will burn out within approximately 3 years. also, a replacement would cost around $500, plus installation.

This seems pretty unfortunate. DLP must be the wrong way to go if this is true.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Obviously the life of these bulbs will vary depending on average daily usage and possibly by manufacturer.

Additionally, when the bulb IS replaced - you've got a "like new" picture again, since other DLP components do NOT degrade over time. Not many HDTV's can make that claim.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metalaaron
I read from htadvice that DLP bulbs will burn out within approximately 3 years. also, a replacement would cost around $500, plus installation.

The cost of the lamp is

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Samsung DLP manufacturing contact also indicated to someone that they are user replaceable:

"Lamp is user replaceable. It can be purchased through our Samsung parts or an authorized dealer's service department. $250 to $280 sounds about right. One screw releases an access compartment on the left side of the set, then two screws release the lamp house. Replace the lamp housing and put things back together and you have a new TV. "

I think the 3 years is a low estimate as well. The number I have heard (on this board) Samsung give is 8,000 hours (although there were rumours of the OEM having specs of 20,000 hours). Well, I work all day, so I am lucky if I average 4 hours a day which equates to approximately 5.4 years.

See this old thread for all the gory details:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...p&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never owned anything but a CRT until now and am wondering how readily available replacement lamps are. Can you just walk into a Best Buy and pick one up? I don't want to spend $200 now for a spare I may not need for years, but I also don't want to spend a week or two with no TV while I wait on a mail-order lamp to arrive.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metalaaron

ANY bulb based porjector will need the bulb replaced, eventually. Bulb projectors include not only DLP but also LCD and LCOS imagers. Replacing the bulb is part of the package with a bulb based projector, just as phosphor wear is for CRT and plasma units. The difference is, bulbs can be replaced relatively cheaply. To replace the CRT or plasma phosphors you get to buy a brand new machine.

-phil

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Well put Phil.

Which is better? Paying someone to haul off your spent CRT RP behemoth or replacing a $200 bulb for a basically brand new machine?

It's your choice and even if you choose not to replace the bulb at least its light enough for you to haul off yourself and save the charge. :)

Ken

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirectorBoy
I've never owned anything but a CRT until now and am wondering how readily available replacement lamps are. Can you just walk into a Best Buy and pick one up? I don't want to spend $200 now for a spare I may not need for years, but I also don't want to spend a week or two with no TV while I wait on a mail-order lamp to arrive.

You don't need to walk into Best Buy - you have the Internet!

Simply search Google for the replacement part number and the bulb can be shipped whatever method you choose (overnight, 2 day, etc.). Sales tax savings generally offsets any shipping cost.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Below are the information on the lamp replacement I copied from one of the threads:

Received a quote of $200 + $7.95 shipping from J&J International for a new lamp for the 507W.

My email request to them:

quote:

Please give me the price of a replacement lamp for the HLM507W. From the service manual I believe the part numbers are:

AA47-00007A LAMP- MERCURY- TS

AA47-00005A LAMP- MERCURY- OS

Their response:

quote:

No. Warehouse Part No. Model No. Quantity UnitPrice ItemPrice

1 NJ Warehouse LAMP - MERCURY 507W 1 200.00 200.00

COD 0.00 Shipping 7.95 Subtotal 200.00

Next/2nd 0.00 Tax 6% (NJ Only) 0.00 Total 207.95

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.