Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Typically, how frequently does one have to change the bulb in a DLP (Samsung HLR5087) TV ? And how much do these bulbs cost now-a-days ?

thanks

-j.boyd

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
I am still on my 1st bulb with my 28 month old Samsung HLN DLP.

·
Registered
620 Posts
johnyboyd,

Lamp life can vary between very premature failure, and 8000 hours or more.

Lots of "on" and "off" is likely to decrease your lamp life hours.

IIRC, the spare lamp for our HLM507W was slightly over $200.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'd say at the least at 50% of it's half-life and at it's most 66% of it's half-life. so if it's 8000 hour bulb, change it 4000 hours in, or if you are cheap 6000 hours in.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas
I'd say at the least at 50% of it's half-life and at it's most 66% of it's half-life. so if it's 8000 hour bulb, change it 4000 hours in, or if you are cheap 6000 hours in.
Are you recommending changing it before it goes based on the # of hours? I would not recommend that, but would wait for it to go. There was a post the other day from someone who was up to 12,000 hours and still going strong, and the bulb goes quickly at the end of its life span (it does not lose light output slowly over an extended time, so you're not sacrificing PQ by sticking with it until it actually goes).

·
Registered
421 Posts
All lamps lose light output gradually over time, they also chansge color too, which is worse in some cases. These lamps are all some variant of HID (high intensity discharge) or Xenon bulbs in the more expensive units. As they age, their color temperature goes down too (warms up) Not to mention, your eyes will adjust to the slow change and you will perceive everything is fine, but in fact, a bulb change would look dramatically better.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
IMO, it would be cheaper to invest in a calibration DVD like AVIA and just readjust every few months than to replace the bulb before it's time (these bulbs are still expensive).

·
Registered
18 Posts
TV: Toshiba 52HMX84

Bulb: TB25-LMP

After 13 months the lamp has 3453 hrs on it. Lamp is on low setting almost all the time.

The tv looks at least as good today as when it was new.

I bought a replacement bulb at the cost of $279.00US + $11.00 shipping to avoid possible lengthly down time. Got it from alltvlamps.com and it took only about a week for it to be delivered. I've seen lower lamp prices quoted since my purchase. In the $180.00US range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The lamp for my nice Toshiba failed after 6 months. The TV was under warranty and the lamp was replaced, but had to be "backordered" and the set was down for several weeks.

2nd lamp failed after just under 6 months. Luckilly, lamps have 180 day warranty, and I was just under the wire. However, once again, lamp is "backordered", so my set is down for the Christmas holidays with guests in the house.

Toshiba says the lamps should last 3 to 4 years, so they will extend my warranty for 1 month so that a service tech can look at the TV and see if there is any reason that the lamps are failing so fast. I suspect that his "exam" will reveal nothing other than my set needs a new lamp.

The lamp for my TV is $200. Purchasing a $2300 TV was a stretch for me, and I cannot be spending $400 a year for lamps. I guess after the next one goes, I will try to sell the TV on ebay for the down-payment on some TV that will work. It is really a shame, as the picture quality on a HD channel is really great during the brief life of the lamps.

These lamps are a disaster for the consumer. Either Toshiba should come clean about how unreliable they are, or the price should be reasonable to replace them and they should be readily available. I suppose they will eventually design and produce a better lamp, but in the meantime, owning this TV has been terrible. I find it difficult to enjoy a movie because I am thinking the lamp is going to go out at any moment. And 2 days, ago, it did.

P.S. Both lamps were set to "low" for maximum service life, ha, ha.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
How much longer can the lamp replacement fiasco Industry Plant supporters continue to rule these forums when such anguished posts as the last one cry out for Video consumer justice?!

·
Banned
11 Posts
unless you got the cash to invest in a $250 bulb to lay around (there is a shelf life issue to do deal with........or in other words just sitting on the shelf will degrade life time) its best just to replace when it goes out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This whole lamp issue is frustrating to everyone. I agree with the previous comment that Toshiba needs to do something, either extend the warranty period or subsidize the price of the lamps to a reasonable price range.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
jvc hd-ila have bulb backorder issues as well. so i tend to think it is not a manufacturers fault but the bulbs themselves.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbfooled2000
unless you got the cash to invest in a $250 bulb to lay around (there is a shelf life issue to do deal with........or in other words just sitting on the shelf will degrade life time) its best just to replace when it goes out.
Do you have any factual basis for the assertion that bulbs degrade with shelf time? I say that because the FAA scrupulously rotates airport safety-related supplies that age, but I know of no lamps in such rotation, or with evident dating to aid such rotation.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbfooled2000
That's a new one on me. I never heard of an electronic component degrading without having any power applied to it. Can you explain why you feel this occurs? :confused:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044
That's a new one on me. I never heard of an electronic component degrading without having any power applied to it.
Yes, that seems quite unlikely but one thing is for sure: the warrantee definitely "degrades" while the lamp is sitting on the shelf in your home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
Proton decay is a fact--real videophiles can see the difference in one pixel with one less proton!
Yes, and they can hear the difference between welding cable and monster cables of the same contruction -- such is the power of advertizing, suggestion, and peer pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If these bulbs have some sort of shelf life, do they make them to order as people request them? It seems that you couldn't have them sitting somewhere in a factory if they had a shelf life.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My 4 pack of 60 watt light bulbs sit in my basement for years and work when needed just fine ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.