Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit long...

I have a Panasonic 52" DLP television. Comcast has supplied a Motorola 5100 as my digital cable box. As I understand it, the DLP television converts all incoming signals to 720p. My cable box allows the output to be set to 1080i or 720p. My question is this, should I leave the box at 1080i and let the television convert the signal to 720p or should I set the output on the box to 720p and let it do the converting before sending the signal to the television?

If I leave the box at 1080i and watch an ABC program (which is 720p) is the box converting the signal to 1080i only to have the television convert it back again?

I have experimented. The only difference I can find is when I watch the "Tonight Show" in HD. On the backdrop just behind Jay as he does his monologue is a building. It's almost directly behind him. It has close vertical lines on it. When the cable box is set to 1080i, there is a bit of fuzziness or distortion in those fine lines. When the box is set to 720p, the building is perfect. You might say that I should just leave it at 720p, but am I losing something somewhere else that I just haven't noticed yet?

The tech support at Panasonic couldn't answer this question for me. The guy just quoted something irrelevent out of the instruction manual... as if I hadn't already looked there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.