AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this in another forum. It may be better posted here.

I have a Panasonic 52" DLP television. Comcast has supplied a Motorola 5100 as my digital cable box. As I understand it, the DLP television converts all incoming signals to 720p. My cable box allows the output to be set to 1080i or 720p. My question is this, should I leave the box at 1080i and let the television convert the signal to 720p or should I set the output on the box to 720p and let it do the converting before sending the signal to the television?

If I leave the box at 1080i and watch an ABC program (which is 720p) is the box converting the signal to 1080i only to have the television convert it back again?

I have experimented. The only difference I can find is when I watch the "Tonight Show" in HD. On the backdrop just behind Jay as he does his monologue is a building. It's almost directly behind him. It has close vertical lines on it. When the cable box is set to 1080i, there is a bit of fuzziness or distortion in those fine lines. When the box is set to 720p, the building is perfect. You might say that I should just leave it at 720p, but am I losing something somewhere else that I just haven't noticed yet?

The tech support at Panasonic couldn't answer this question for me. The guy just quoted something irrelevent out of the instruction manual... as if I hadn't already looked there.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
You're on the right track by trying all possible alternatives and picking the one you like the best.

It all comes down to the conversion being done in the various devices.

·
Registered
28,080 Posts
If the TV is natively 720p, I would say leaving the cable box set for 720p is best. That way won't require any scaling for 720p stations, and only scaling once for 1080i stations (in the cable box).

If you set for 1080i, then 1080i stations are being scaled down in the projector, and 720p stations are scaled up in the cable box and then down again in the projector.

You want to avoid scaling as much as possible. The 720p option does that for you.

But, again, your results may vary so it couldn't hurt to try it both ways and see how it looks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.