AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for curiosity: I have a real dumb question: what is the 1000 unit price of the various DLP chips? I wonder why a 3-chip is not feasible at normal price points.

sincerely,

/iaw

·
Registered
114 Posts
Second time I've done this recently, but SensiStar your post doesn't really help.

Ivo, I've never heard or found the piece part cost for DLPs despite my own similar curiousity. But I do know that TI says the "optical engine" is at least $800.

It's been pointed out before that given a X1 of $1000 you would expect a 3-chip to come in at not more than $4000, but that's far from the case.

A lengthy search and review of the forums will probably lead you to believe 3-chip cost limitations are not purely the cost of the semiconductors or optical engines, but color generation/recombination and margin/demand based.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Theres a topic like this on the >3500 forum right now, 3-chip DLP Thread

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, guys. that other thread will do fine. some recent articles about intel going into the lcos business suggested that the engine at the back (dlp, lcos, lcd) could be relatively easily changed from one source to another. this would be good news: more competition.

my guess is that given that the dlp chips cost around $1k now, we may see 3-chip dlps in the $5-7k range in about 2-3 years. competition really works. (it would have been sooner if high volume consumer TVs were using them sooner. basic price (R&D fixed cost) is not driven by us ht projector users, but by the high-volume markets: presentation projectors and plain TVs.

regards, /iaw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.