AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm upgrading from a 480p Panny plasma soon, sooner than I thought given the recent news of the demise of DLP. I want a DLP because I want the larger screen and I'm not prepared to shell out the $$$ for the same square footage and pixel density for an equivalent flat screen.

I'm on the pre-order for an Emotiva UMC-1 that will upscale all sources through 3x1 HDMI using a....Torino processor...I think. Anyway, question is, does anyone think the use of a decent external processor would make them swing one way or the other when choosing between the Samsung LED and Mitsubishi DC4?

I've read through the pluses and minuses of both displays, but I haven't come across much in the way of experience using outboard chips, at least none that are directly comparable. And if anyone thinks it wouldn't make any difference either way, just say so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since both TVs will do an excellent job of upscaling any SD programs you send to them there is no reason to get an external scaler. Also I assume since you are getting an HDTV that will of course also get a source of HD progams which do not need upscaling. If I were you I would cancel your outstanding order and get true HD content either OTA, or form Cable or Satellite

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks walford,

I'm getting the processor primarily to manage the audio and video sources with an emphasis on audio quality for both music and HT with the use of separate amps. The upscaling of video sources is a bonus that wouldn't prevent my purchase if unnecessary.

I haven't paid much attention to displays over the past few years. Back then, I went 480p because I thought the internal processing of 720p units was abysmal and there wasn't all that much native HD content available. I guess you're saying the technology has caught up and it is no longer an issue?

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts