AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George Lucas has a deal with Cinemark to show Star Wars Episode II for 12 weeks. Lilo & Stitch opens in DLP Cinema in that 12 week period, therefore it would have to knock Episode II out of one of the 2 DLP cinemas. George says hell no. Until a deal is reached, Episode II in a Cinemark DLP Cinema is a no-go. This sucks. Greedy George Lucas.

This exact situation exists in the DLP Cinema in Plano, TX... it could be different at another Cinemark theater with DLP Cinema capability.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For that reason, Lilo & Stitch will be the first movie that I see at a DLP theater. I was pretty excited about Episode II, but it does seem like Lucas is a bit greedy, and I am not a big Star Wars fan.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by petew
What does this have to do with HDTV. Surely there's a Star Wars newsgroup where someone might care.
DLP Cinema is really close to HDTV. this new, exciting technology concerns many people here.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
What does this have to do with HDTV. Surely there's a Star Wars newsgroup where someone might care.
You are of course quite correct. It has no more to do with HDTV than asking which brand of popcorn goes best with HDTV.

But as you've seen in the first response to your post, some feel that simply because they say it, it is OK to say anything anywhere and under any circumstances.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think the post has quite a bit to do with HDTV.

Presumably, the projection equipment will exceed what is currently available to the home user. It may be an indication of things to come.

Recall how THX prices have fallen dramatically? And decent A/V receivers? HD sets have aldo fallen quite a bit in price in the past year.

Digital theaters are HDTV, even though they're not in our living room. If we're lucky, they will be in a few years. In the meantime, it's a chance to see what the best (I hope) technology can do.

And, FWIW, why are TI DLPs so expensive? Why haven't they come out with a true 1920X1080 chip? Either the yields are simply horrible, or TI hasn't run a price / total revenue analysis to maximize their income. They missed the market with their TI-99/4A home computers; I hope they don't lose the market with DLPs.

Rick

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,755 Posts
Yes, you've guess right, more editing and deletions. Sorry, just trying to keep things on track.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
1080P/24 movies being shown in a theater is still (IMO) "HDTV Programming". Just not HDTV programming for the home.

According to Vickie, the Chicago-area DLP theater, the AMC Barrington no longer has a DLP projector. Apparently AMC pulled it and moved it to a theater in Canada. But there's a bizzare rumor that a digital projector has been installed at the McClurg Court theater for a charity showing, and that it will remain for the run.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams

1080P/24 movies being shown in a theater is still (IMO) "HDTV Programming". Just not HDTV programming for the home.

I agree, this is the closest to DLP that is on the forums. And this is especially important to me because I plan on viewing the movie in plano, so this is especially important to me because I don't read starwars message boards so I wouldn't have known I might not get to see the movie in DLP... thanks ADebar!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'll add my 0.02c worth (yeah, I know, no one asked me to...!)

I think this has very much to do with HDTV, something of a blurred edge here between home HDTV and theater, but I'm interested none-the-less and think it's relevant.

Greg

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
We are facing the same problem here in Florida. The Central Florida HD Society is planning a meet at the only 3 chip DLP in the state to watch SW2 and the theater manager told me on Monday that he thought the negotiations with the Lucas people would be completed by Thursday May 9th. He told me that Lilo & Stitch starts 5 weeks after SW2 in the DLP cinema but Lucas wanted at least 8 weeks or he would take his ball and go home.

If Lucas pulls the Digital version of his movie after all this hype about a fully digital production process I am done supporting him.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
We are facing the same problem here in Florida. The Central Florida HD Society is planning a meet at the only 3 chip DLP in the state to watch SW2 and the theater manager told me on Monday that he thought the negotiations with the Lucas people would be completed by Thursday May 9th. He told me that Lilo & Stitch starts 5 weeks after SW2 in the DLP cinema but Lucas wanted at least 8 weeks or he would take his ball and go home.

If Lucas pulls the Digital version of his movie after all this hype about a fully digital production process I am done supporting him.
i agree. if epII isn't in the DLP Cinema on opening night, i'll never buy another star wars DVD again. they might try to pull some crap like put it in the DLP Cinema after Lilo & Stitch... i don't go for anything like that.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
ADebar: Where can I find a listing of digital theaters in the Houston area? Is Cinemark the only theaters that have DLP projectors in the area? If so, which Cinemarks have DLP? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are of course quite correct. It has no more to do with HDTV than asking which brand of popcorn goes best with HDTV.
One day about a year ago I came to what I thought was the HDTV Forum and spent a very confused 5 minutes or so trying to figure out why everyone now was discussing the best home theatre popcorn makers. Somehow I had fallen into the Home Theatre Accessories Forum. ;)

But back (more) on topic. Is that DLP Theatre list fairly complete? It looks like there are none anywhere even close to the Detroit area. Anyone know of any plans to open any soon?

- Tom

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I know I am going to get flamed for defending Lucas, but here it goes.

The problem here is that there are simply not enough digital projection equipped cinemas. It is very common for studios to require theatres to show anticipated blockbuster movies for a minimum number of weeks, and, in the age of 20 screen multiplexes, this is generally not a bad deal for the theater. Unfortunately, DLP screens are few and far between. The theatre owners want it both ways, they want Star Wars, but they want to be able to dump it when the next DLP movie comes along.

With Episode II, we have the first movie (I believe) shot entirely in HD 24p. Lucasfilm has made a significant investment in HD and, with this movie, they want to show the world the quality of real HD digital projection cinema. Yeah, movies are being shown in DLP, but many times the digital transfers originated on film. I don’t think we should be upset at Lucasfilm for trying to get this HD film some playing time. IMHO, the fact that such a groundbreaking, truly HD film would be bumped by Lilo & Stitch is outrageous.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnovox

The problem here is that there are simply not enough digital projection equipped cinemas. It is very common for studios to require theatres to show anticipated blockbuster movies for a minimum number of weeks, and, in the age of 20 screen multiplexes, this is generally not a bad deal for the theater. Unfortunately, DLP screens are few and far between. The theatre owners want it both ways, they want Star Wars, but they want to be able to dump it when the next DLP movie comes along.

With Episode II, we have the first movie (I believe) shot entirely in HD 24p. Lucasfilm has made a significant investment in HD and, with this movie, they want to show the world the quality of real HD digital projection cinema. Yeah, movies are being shown in DLP, but many times the digital transfers originated on film. I don’t think we should be upset at Lucasfilm for trying to get this HD film some playing time. IMHO, the fact that such a groundbreaking, truly HD film would be bumped by Lilo & Stitch is outrageous.

I would think that it would be on the dlp screens for the majority of the time but I think the theaters, from a buisness standpoint, dont want to be forced to have just one movie on their screens for such a long time. What if ep II isnt as good as all the hype? (Like ep I for example). The theaters are going to lose lots of money from 1/2 or even 1/4 full theaters where if they switch movies they can attract a new crowd. I don't think this will happen but I think the theaters are concerned about ep 2 and rightfully so IMO. I still think well end up with 1 screen for each movie though.....

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by johnovox

just because Lucas has a popular movie in HD does not give him the right to control the theaters. if his movie sucks they have a right to put Lilo & Stitch in there. EPII could remain on 1 DLP Cinema and Lilo & Stitch could go on the other. it's stupid for Lucas to want exclusive rights to both DLP Cinemas just because his film is more popular.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
IMHO, the fact that such a groundbreaking, truly HD film would be bumped by Lilo & Stitch is outrageous.
Given that the only DLP in the state of FL is at the AMC at Downtown DISNEY, I don't find this outrageous at all.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
At what resolution was Lilo and Stitch rendered? I assumed it is HD as well. I also had planned a group of us to travel from Miami to Orlando to watch it, but that's now on hold. Just to bring this truly off-topic, I'll also mention that SWII will not be showing in any of the AMC or Muvico "premium seating" theaters, because he won't allow it to be shown anywhere there's alcohol available. Who does he think he is, exactly? He wants to also control our state of mind?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.