AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to correct the geometry problems on any of these sets? I was in CC today trying to decide what set I want to buy THIS WEEK. They had ESPN on all the DLP sets at the time and I was real disappointed to see pincushion issues on all of them when ESPN cut to a source with their side flags. You could see the 4:3 image barrel distorted - I believe that would drive me nuts over time.

I'm pretty sure you can correct that on a CRT - maybe in the service menu- but what about these things? Seems to me that the image would be perfect on the chip, but its the optics that are causing the distortion... no?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstrom /forum/post/15420631

Is there any way to correct the geometry problems on any of these sets? I was in CC today trying to decide what set I want to buy THIS WEEK. They had ESPN on all the DLP sets at the time and I was real disappointed to see pincushion issues on all of them when ESPN cut to a source with their side flags. You could see the 4:3 image barrel distorted - I believe that would drive me nuts over time.

I'm pretty sure you can correct that on a CRT - maybe in the service menu- but what about these things? Seems to me that the image would be perfect on the chip, but its the optics that are causing the distortion... no?

I'm afraid there is really nothing that you can do, you can adjust tilt and improper screen placement, but unfortunately since they are trying to make rp tv's lighter and thinner they are compromising rigidness(?)

If it is that bad you can call in service and they will see if it is bad enough that it needs to be repaired otherwise there is nothing you can do.

You can really only notice it when using it as a monitor or having it in 4:3 model.

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonbeast /forum/post/15420810

I'm afraid there is really nothing that you can do, you can adjust tilt and improper screen placement, but unfortunately since they are trying to make rp tv's lighter and thinner they are compromising rigidness(?)

If it is that bad you can call in service and they will see if it is bad enough that it needs to be repaired otherwise there is nothing you can do.

You can really only notice it when using it as a monitor or having it in 4:3 model.

Agreed. I believe Samsung and others have an acceptable tolerance measurement for it. Also, this geometry type issue isn't anywhere near as bad as previous CRT-based displays and is itself (it the case of my HDTV) much more uniform and forgiving. Others only notice it the most in situations that you mentioned. One advantage of flat panel displays that has to be considered. For me, I'm still going rear projection for the price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My mitsubishi dlp has mechanical adjustments for vertical keystone and picture rotation. Via the service menu you can adjust vertical and horizontal alignment. Thats it, but my set has perfect geometry. I would make sure the sets you are viewing are not in one of the strech or expand modes. I have seen them set this way at best buy?!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.