Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having 2 real troubles with this combination:

One, the DVI connection will not survive a TV on/off cycle; you have to reboot to get a signal to the TV if you have turned off the TV.

Two, the tv (Samsung hln6507 50" dlp hdtv) should be good for at least 1024 x 768 resolution, but when hooked up, the monitor settings will not allow it to exceed 600 x 800.

The AVI software and video quality should really be better, I think.

I tried with VGA adapter on the DVI out, and then with S video, but neither had acceptable quality. I also tried Powerstrip to see if I could tweak the thing, with no luck.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Were you able to solve the ON/OFF cycle problem? I am experiecing the same problem with the Radeon 9000 and the Sony 65" RPTV. It works great until I turn the TV off, and then I need to reboot the machine to get it to work again.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just read on ATI's site that if your monitor settings have TV output enabled, you will only be allowed 800X600. Go into ATI control, turn off TV out, restart I guess and you should have more options for resolution. I'll try and find this doc again.

jb

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Try disabling TV out as jb33 suggested. It worked for me. You should aim to connect your HTPC at 1280x720 at 60hz via DVI. This is the native resolution of display and will give you the best image quality. Some people (like me - have HLN617W) could never get 1280x720 to work without forcing the resolution for the first time through Powerstrip. Some get 1280x720 available after they instal Catalist. This really depends on how DVI interfaces talk to each other, and mostly on what firmware you have in your Sammy. Either way, you should be able to get it to work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Use VGA instead of DLP, then use these settings (courtesy of googer at the proj. TV forums) in Powerstrip for beautiful, 1:1 picture! You'll be glad you passed up DVI for this...

Yeah, I don't quite know the technical side of *why* DVI doesn't work, but it basically doesn't. I hope somebody proves me wrong tho...

-------------------------

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1248x698=1248,93,48,259,698,26,5,21,74160,278

Generic timing details for 1248x698:

HFP=93 HSW=48 HBP=259 kHz=45 VFP=26 VSW=5 VBP=21 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:

"1248x698" 74.160 1248 1341 1389 1648 698 724 729 750 -hsync -vsync

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I had the same problem with the energy saving feature that is built into the drivers for the video card, I created a .inf file that eliminates that feature and it does not allow the monitor(samsung TV) to go into sleep mode via the dvi input. You did not mention the video card that you are using but I highly recommend a ATI based card for your samsung tv, here is a link to my file and post.

Jim

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...15#post2043615

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the Power Strip utility to configure my Radeon 9000 to drive my Samsung HLM507 through the DVI connection at 1280x720. Works fine. Amazing PQ.

I've also heard that the Cat 3.4 drivers will recognize and properly configure the Radoen 9xxx for the Samsung DLPs without the use of Power Strip

Q

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
thinking,

DVI does work for a lots of people, see recent pool. I have Samsung HLN617W and DVI works perfect with my FireGL X2 card, and did work perfect with 9800 Pro.

The timings you posted are relevant if you want to avoid overscan on display and I did try them. They work with RGB, but not with DVI. For watching DVDs you should not really care about overscan, and if you do, you can eliminate it with Zoomplayer. DVI produces the best picture quality, period. There is a thread by Arun Gupta where he measured resolution etc. for various inputs on Sammy and DVI came ahead of RGB by a significant margin. Some video cards have better RBG than the others and these cards are closing gap with DVI, but it always exists. My FireGL X2 is much better on RGB than 9800 Pro, but I'd say DVI is still at least 10-15% better in therms of picture quality. By the way this analysis assumes that GWII can do 1:1 mapping through DVI without and rescalling or another D/A/D conversion, like Samsung DLPs can. I remember reading some posts that were questioning whether this works on GWII.

Question,

You are right when you say that some Catalyst drivers are better than others, but in my case all drivers between 3.2 and 3.7 could not do it without powerstrip. I believe the problem is in my TVs firmware. I have 209 version on my Sammy that is not very common and obviously causes problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok - it looks like I'm not that only one that has had the sleep mode problem. What is the command to put into the ini file that disables the Radeon Energy Saving/Sleep Mode for DVI input?

Thanks,

Max

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
If you use my .inf file for your fix, you only have to select the TV under display adapters in the device manager, update driver, choose my driver, and your problems of the signal shutting off is gone.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.