AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I have just purchased a Samsung 50" DLP HLN5065W. I am having some concerns about it. I am running standard digital cable for now, HDTV on Thurs. The TV seems to have episode of screen flickering and it will get very pixilated and loose color for a split second. This happens very intermittently and seems to occur the most during the first hour it is on, although happened after it was on for several hours last night. I have also seen this while watching DVD’s. I have called service and they said they will take a look at it. I would bring it back, but this was the last one and therefore I received a great deal on it.

Any ideas? Do these TV’s just magnify any small blips that come from a source? Sometimes the screen turns blue, like it lost the signal.

Are the newer generation DLP chips significantly better?

I may consider returning it for a Sony LCD projection 50â€, I guess I thought the DLP was a better technology

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sounds to me more like a cable problem.

My digital cable signal does that several times during a single movie.

If it's your set, it's a problem I have never heard of, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bishamon
Sounds to me more like a cable problem.

My digital cable signal does that several times during a single movie.
It happens with a DVD in as well.

I just bought it on Sat night, It was returned and exchanged for the 56 by the original owner.

I am not sure the model number it is a 50 inch and has the silver bezel with silver bottom. It does not say DNIe on the front.

would I be happier with the 46 inch with the HD2 chip and DNIe???

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would also say that it's very likely a problem with your cable feed, but you say that you've also seen it when watching DVDs. What model DVD player, and what kind of connection are you using? Any particular disc, or does it do it randomly on whatever disc you throw in the machine?

Again, this sounds like a source issue, not the display. If you rule out the source as a problem, try swapping the set out for another of the same model. You might have just gotten a defective unit. The Sonly LCD projection TVs are pretty good, but I still prefer the Samsung DLP's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dlp_steve, we were both posting at the same time! I'd be suspect on any open-box deals (if that's what you got) on big-screen TVs in general.

The 46-inch sets are very good and have a sleeker cabinet. Or if the extra 4" of screen size matters to you a lot, try to get a new HLN 50" set. The 5065W and 507W are virtually identical other than cabinet cosmetics.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Danny.

I went in to buy the 46, but recieved a very good deal on the 50 and figured with the 5 year plan on it I should be all set. I am wondering If I have the HLM or HLN model. It does not say DNIe on the front. Is there a huge diffrence between the 2. I am new to digital TV's please forgive my lack of knowledge. I hope it is the source. I will be getting HDTV on Thurday. I will try some more DVD's when I get home.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also it happens about the same time frame. 15-20 mins after I turn it on. Does not seems to matter which channel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you happen to have the cable and DVD player running through a receiver? If so, it might be the receiver causing the drop out?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mguisado
Do you happen to have the cable and DVD player running through a receiver? If so, it might be the receiver causing the drop out?
Nope, both the DVD and the Digital Cable are connected directly to the tv.

The Build date is OCT 2002, can anyone tell me if this is a bad build date?

·
Registered
372 Posts
It sure does sound like a source problem but for the fact that it's multiple sources. Try bypassing any electronics between your wall cable jack and the TV. Plug the TV into the wall cable jack with a coax cable directly and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, then some other component, ie. cable box, receiver, is tripping it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Grasping at straws here but...

Maybe you've got noisy AC power. Have you tried a good surge suppressor?

From the build date I'ld say you've got an HLM. But I haven't read any other posts about HLMs having this problem.

Sooke

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlp_steve
Is there a way to tell how many hours the light bulb has been on?
Yes, in the sevice menu. You have to be careful entering the service menu because it is possible to change something you shouldn't and really mess up the TV. Also, never change anything without first writing down the original values.

But if all you want to do is see how many hours are on the bulb, then:

With the TV off, press: MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER.

The TV should come up in service menu mode. Use the remote joystick to move down to the bottom menu item (can't recall the name). Press enter (press joystick in).

A new menu should open up and one of the items lists the lamp hours.

I'm describing this from memory so I hope I don't mis-navigate you. But there are detailed threads on entering the service menu and what many of the menus are for. Sorry I don't have a link handy.

Sooke

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found the bulb life in the service menu

It said 2094. Does it count up or down, and how many hours does a bulb last?

I am getting pretty annoyed. I was sold a TV and was told it new and the orig. owner had it only for a few weeks, then he upgraded to the 56.

Build date of Oct 2002

Bulb life = 2094

I think it will be going back tomorrow. I'm going to get the 46 inch. NEW!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oh yeah!

To exit the service menu turn the TV off. Wait a minute before turning it back on.

Sooke

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Bulb life counts UP.

So that is 2094 hours of viewing. (Life expectancy of the bulb is supposedly 8000).

Maybe you got a floor model?

Sooke

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:

I think it will be going back tomorrow. I'm going to get the 46 inch. NEW!!!

Steve
I enjoy my 46" quite a lot.

Good luck!

Sooke

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:

Build date of Oct 2002

Bulb life = 2094

Steve
Be careful about mentioning the bulb life if you return it. The store I bought from told me I void the warranty if I enter the service menu. I think that is BS, but you might make more trouble for yourself.

Just a warning.

Sooke

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sooke
Be careful about mentioning the bulb life if you return it. The store I bought from told me I void the warranty if I enter the service menu. I think that is BS, but you might make more trouble for yourself.

Just a warning.

Sooke
Hmmmm....Good point. However, I think being misled about a 4000$ TV is a much bigger offence. I will question the history again, to see if I get the same story. I am supposed to have a tech come out and look at it. I will have them check the bulb life.

Should I keep the TV and just have is servied, or return it and buy the 46.

I will be paying more for the 46 than I did for the 50.

Steve

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
You appear to have paid $4,000 for a second hand 2002 HLM that was probably traded in on a new HLN567. I would return it and take my business somewhere else.

It might also be a good idea to do some reading here before you go to the next set. There seem to be several things about your DLP that you didn't understand when you bought it.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.