AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved my Samsung HL-R 4667 to a new location, which may or may not be responsible for this problem.

In certain situations, usually in backgrounds or in faces, I see rising bands in the image.

My little experience of such things makes me suspect the cabling or the power, but both seem to be fine. I'm running component cables from my Onkyo SR 602 to the component 1 input on the TV, and component cables from my Panasonic progressive scan DVD and my Motorola HD Cable STB. I've got a Monster Home Theater power center to run the whole thing.

Thanks for any ideas you have!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like a ground loop problem. Since all equipment is powered by the same source, most likely possibility is the input cable to the cable box. Do both the DVD player and cable box have the banding problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P
Sounds like a ground loop problem. Since all equipment is powered by the same source, most likely possibility is the input cable to the cable box. Do both the DVD player and cable box have the banding problem?
Yes. Any explanation of what a ground loop problem is would be really helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!

·
Registered
725 Posts
A ground loop is caused by a difference in voltage level of the grounds for the devices. A slow rolling horizontal band is typical of a ground loop problem. Yours should have all the same electrical grounds since all 4 devices are plugged into the Monster power center. Suggest you disconnect the input cable to cable box and see if the problem disappears, play the DVD and if you still have the problem. Otherwise try connecting the individual devices using a 2 to 3 prong AC adapter. THIS SHOULD BE DONE FOR TESTING ONLY AS IT IS UNSAFE TO OPERATE A UNIT WITH OUT A GROUND. You also might try using a power strip instead of the Monster power center.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.