AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After asking Pete Broas on the special guests board a question about color processing in DLP, I realized how little I know about DLP engine. Here is Pete's answer:

BXA, Thanks for the question, let's see if this helps:

The real beauty of DLP(tm) technology is that the DMD has no analog to digital conversion circuit. Think of the DMD as a digital light switch. The more the mirror-switch spends on the "on-state" the brighter that point in the image appears on your eye. This all works because your eye and optical nerve responds much slower than the DMD mirror switching time. In effect, you eye *is* the digital-to-analog converter.

That being said, the number of bits of resolution is largely driven by the optical system design (3-panel or 1-panel) since the more time you have per color, the more bits of resolution you can display. With one-panel systems, the resolution is driven by the specific colorwheel design. Each DMD has similar switching time performance. The DMD operation is quite simplified, but the effective DMD bit depth is 14-bits.

In terms of what we supply our OEMs,TI provides various solutions for various markets. In the vast majority of our business, we provide a set of LSI components, the DMD and related firmware.

Have a good day,

Pete

----------------------------------------

To not take anymore time on the special guests board, as there are much more people to ask better questions, does anybody here has a solid understanding of how DMDs are driven. Pete said that there is no ADC involved. However some DLP projectors produce more color depth then others.

Can anyone point me to a good technical source of information about DLP engine in detail especially 3 chip design, or otherwise share what you know here.

I could probably explain down to compoenent level how CRT projector works. I wish I could do the same with DLP.

Any information, as always, is greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.