AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a silly question, but I know that the DLP and LCD technology in the RPTVs is similar to those in the projectors, but is lamp life a non-issue for the RPTVs?

·
2,436 Posts
It seems that most bulbs are quoted at 6000 hours. Lets say that you have the set on for 8 hours a day, that is about 2900 hours a year.

If the set is off most of the say that figure would be much lower. A few of the companies have had early bulb burn out (Sammy and Sony), but most are covered under (Manufacturer or store performance) warranty. Lets not open that can of worms ! Though Sony has done something pretty sneaky with the GW3's and only rate the bulb at 200o hours. This lets them get away with replacing less.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find some of these bulbs burning far past the rated life. The good thing is that for $200-300 to replace it when it goes its almost like getting a new display. For the most part it is a non-issue.

·
2,436 Posts
For both.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Barrybud - I thought the GWIII rating was as the Samsung DLP - 8000 hours, although in practice perhaps half of that. Where did the 2000 come from? Its not in the manual, for example. Thanks.

·
2,436 Posts
So did I, but I saw in 2 different places that they changed it to 2000 hours. I know one was a PDF file. I will dig around for it. It I cant find it I will edit that out of my original post.

What I did find at the Sony site was that the XL-2100U lamp block is now discontinued. It may be more proof that they have revised the lamp module.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
That is not a small change!!

On the lamp block, is that the lamp driver board as well or just the lamp and its housing? I ask since, for those of us who have 2003 GW3's, if they run until the lamp fails, will we be able to replace the lamp without problems???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Barrubud,

Where did you see that the XL2100u lamp block is being replaced? If you could direct me to a site I would appreciate it. I have been one of those unfortunate "buzzers" and would be very interested if Sony has moved to another lamp.

·
2,436 Posts
KidSmoov,

I am very sorry for hijacking your thread!!! If you wish, I will split these posts about the Sony Grand VVega III off to another thread.

Mark,

I got this info from the Sony Parts site located here.

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/index.jsp

I used the search in the upper right of the page

This is what I get when I search on the "Spare Lamp UX-2100U" as listed under Optional accessory from any of the GW3's that are on Sonystyle.com

Item Information

Part# XL2100u has been discontinued. This is the replacement part.

A1052675A

LAMP BLOCK XL2100U

Currently In Stock: No

Unit Price (in USD): $200.00

When I search on the new # I get this.

A1052675A

LAMP BLOCK XL2100U

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Barry -

I went to the site you listed, and keyed in my model KF50WE610 and searched by model number. You get:

A1606034A

LAMP BLOCK XL2100U

Whatever that means? Anyway, thanks for the help, I guess this will all settle out in the coming weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.