AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like I've infected my co-worker with the home theater bug. I can't talk him into suffering as much as I had for a crt so I suggested either DLP, LCD, or D-ILA. He's got about $7k to spend on the projector/scaler. I know very little about the above technologies.

What are your thoughts on any or all of the above. What should we be aware of? Artifacts, color problems, resolutions, etc, to look for in a projector. And any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, do you all run a progressive dvd out into your projectors or do you go through a scaler/doubler.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just recently tried out the Seleco HT200 at a local dealer. It was awesome without a scaler. I saw very little improvement with a HTPC hooked up to it. I really think that it could be used as is. The dealer wanted less that $6K for it.

Jim

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The new Sharp z9000 should be nice at 7K. A Dila used can be at that price range. The new Sanyo light cannons XGA LCD's like the XP45 may be at that price range too. It depends on your friend's sensitivity to rainbows, light control, watching habits. Each technology has its pluses and minuses. DILA has great resolution, contrast, and brightness, but is noisy and may have dead pixels and dust blobs. LCD has great colors and brightness but poor contrast (relatively). It too can have dead pixels, dust blobs, green fog. DLP has great contrast but less vibrant colors (relative to an equal price LCD). It may have rainbows although the newer DLP's like the Sharp and Seleco has less. Both LCD and DLP are pretty quiet especially the more pricey units. Some PJ has better scaler/deinterlacer than others so you may or may not need an external interlacer/scaler. HTPC will give you the best image of all and are considered the gold standard in digital (or CRT for that matter) projection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.