AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a budget projector over the next year or two and i'm not entirely sure of the pros and cons of the various technologies and the point of diminishing returns.

Budget will be somewhere in the 500-1000$ range but it's not set in stone.

It will be setup in a small (around 200-300 sq ft) pitch black theater room.

I'm curious what the business projectors are aiming for versus the home theater projectors?

I'm looking for a projector with a very deep black level as well as static (ansi) contrast and peak brightness at least on par with that of crt projectors (which isn't likely all that high).

I've been under the impression that Dlp's and Lcos have better contrast and deeper black levels than Lcds but that may not be the case for projectors?

Motion blur and input lag are important factors as well, I would like to get as close as possible to crt levels for both.

I've heard of neutral density filters and low gain screens to deepen black level, though i'm not sure if both or either methods maintain full contrast?

I would also consider altering the bulb brightness and conversely power draw if that is possible.

3D would be nice but full hd 3d isn't a top priority.

I would also like to avoid any screen door effect that has plagued lcd's in the past.

Green and yellow tints would not be good either, I assume Sxrd has been improved to mitigate that after the rear pro backlash?

My reasons for not buying a Crt projector even though it would cover most of the above:

Maintenance

Rarity in my area

Power draw

Cost and resale value

Lack of 3d support

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hilugr
Should I know that word?

I new ansi contrast was higher than crt's for any of the newer tech but my experience with projectors is pretty well dirt cheap business projectors with horrible contrast and the opposite end of the spectrum in use at the theaters these days for digital projection.

Therefore i'm not really sure what to expect for 1000$.

I'm currently using a hitachi crt rear pro 51uwx20b from around 2002 with the contrast (white level) set to 20 out of 100, which i find bright enough.

I imagine any modern projector will be much brighter and i'll probably want to cut the brightness with an ndf and or low gain screen to at least 1/2 or lower.

I don't expect to hit the absolute black hole that crt's are capable of but i am definetly looking for the 0.01-0.02 cd range similar to what Panasonic plasmas achieve.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1472745/dlp-lcos-lcd-pro-and-cons#post_23317382

Hilugr
Should I know that word?

I new ansi contrast was higher than crt's for any of the newer tech but my experience with projectors is pretty well dirt cheap business projectors with horrible contrast and the opposite end of the spectrum in use at the theaters these days for digital projection.

Therefore i'm not really sure what to expect for 1000$.

I'm currently using a hitachi crt rear pro 51uwx20b from around 2002 with the contrast (white level) set to 20 out of 100, which i find bright enough.

I imagine any modern projector will be much brighter and i'll probably want to cut the brightness with an ndf and or low gain screen to at least 1/2 or lower.

I don't expect to hit the absolute black hole that crt's are capable of but i am definetly looking for the 0.01-0.02 cd range similar to what Panasonic plasmas achieve.

I'm poor and none of my friends are buying new stuff, but I doubt you can get to plasma level with a 10k projector.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts