AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.. first let me pre-face this post by saying that this is but the first step in what will undoubtedly be a massive flood of incoming information and web mining.. I'm looking to purchase a new hdtv set within probably, 3 months (maybe sooner since I'm a Gemini and my connections are now filling me in on incredibly hot deals such as the Gateway 56" DLP HD-ready RPTV for like $[Price Removed])

i've pretty much spent all day at work just reading threads, comments, inputs and i'm about to go to J&R over @ park row and take a look at their sets..

from what i've gathered on what i read today.. some things popped out and struck me..

-are LCOS a known flop/dud then? i read not so favorable posts about them.. so are these tv's duds? so i'll cross them off my list..

-DLP's got that rainbow effect thingy (god way to bash my hopes, i had dlp rptv at the top of my list) and other known problems so i'm not too energized about them.. but are these rainbow problems inherent in DLP's alltogether or is it for the 1st gen only?

-Sony's GWIII had a recall *cringe*

etc etc etc... i guess my question is.. is the climate ripe for the lcd rptv's and their ilk? it seems there are a boatload of problems with it.. is that because the ones that have been posted/talked about are 1st gen's? what gen are the current crop right now in the market?

..should i just go straight for a plasma set? *lol*

the main thing that attracted me to DLP/lcos/lcd rptv etc etc type sets are that it's a projection type set 40+50+60+, etc.. and yet weighs in at a ridiculously low amount..

i live in nyc and apartments are small and worse, i live in the 2nd floor of my house so space is a priority.. also being able to move the set is a very important factor..

-sigh-

man, i'd just go out and buy myself a 34" HDTV set if those things didn't weight close to 800 lbs (exaggeration) :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rainbow effect on DLP can only be noticed by a small percentage of people, or so I've been told. If you don't see them in the display room, you won't see them at home. There was a thread here not long ago from somebody who *started* to see them only after buying the set, but it was only when they looked away quickly or had the TV in their peripheral vision. As I recall, it didn't stop them from continuing to enjoy their set.

The Samsung DLPs are in their 2nd generation with a 3rd generation poised for release in early summer IIRC. The rainbow effect is believed to be lessened in the 2nd generation but not altogether eliminated.

I've read not-so-flattering things about the Gateway DLPs elsewhere on this forum. Search around.

·
Banned
61 Posts
If you can't wait till the end of the year or longer for the 1080p sets to come out. I would recommend that you wait a few months for the new LCD and DLP sets. Then If you don't mind paying for the newest and greatest I'd go with the new DLP sets with the HD2+ chips. If money is a factor ( always is for me ) I'd go with last years model Samsung HLN, Sony KF, or the Hitachi V series. But remember the 1080p TV's are on the horizon. I'm betting that 1080p will be the next standard and TV's will taper off again. So if you want a TV that'll last you 10 years or better and won't go out of style faster than your PC I'd wait for a 1080p set. If you do decide to buy in the next three months you'll be happy with any of those TV's.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by intangibles
The rainbow effect on DLP can only be noticed by a small percentage of people, or so I've been told. If you don't see them in the display room, you won't see them at home.
I disagree. Rainbows are very hard to see in a brightly light showroom environment. Add to that the demo material they show is mostly bright, colorful imagery and you're very unlikely to see rainbows in the store.

However, bring it home in a darker environment, and start watching dark content and they are much more likely to appear.

Best advice is to buy from a B&M with a 30-day return policy. That way, if you get it home and find the rainbows to be too overwhelming, you can return the set.

·
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
-are LCOS a known flop/dud then? i read not so favorable posts about them.. so are these tv's duds? so i'll cross them off my list..

-
They are no more duds because of problems than the other new technologies. They just have different issues. You wont find a tighter smoother picture at the same distance from the set.

Sure they suffer from some lack of shadow detail but you can shut them off and not worry that it wont come on like some. Its true that the LCoS (these reference the Philips Cineos) may have a low stated contrast ratios but there is no video delay like others.

So you have a good bit of homework to do to pick what is best for you. This is why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by intangibles
The rainbow effect on DLP can only be noticed by a small percentage of people, or so I've been told. If you don't see them in the display room, you won't see them at home. There was a thread here not long ago from somebody who *started* to see them only after buying the set, but it was only when they looked away quickly or had the TV in their peripheral vision. As I recall, it didn't stop them from continuing to enjoy their set.
To second jfischer's point, unless you find a dark showroom beware of DLP rainbows and/or eye strain showing up at home. In my experience, ambient lighting helps reduce both eye strain and rainbow sightings. I experience both to some extent.

The percentage of people who see rainbows is not well known, so if someone tells you its a non-issue or its at the 1% level, etc., I would challenge those assertions.

Even if you do not see rainbows, there is eye strain that could be from the same effect (color separation) but is not perceived as a rainbow image, and from other artifacts like dithering, yet is manifested as eye strain. It is a much more subtle effect and may be more widespread than rainbow visions.

I am not biased against DLP, I own a DLP projector (NEC HT1000) and the Sony GW3 LCD rear projection TV.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
"I've pretty much spent all day at work just reading threads, comments, input ..."

You're fired! :rolleyes:

That would put a crimp in your HDTV fever. :)

Explore the "popular" link at the bottom of my message. Your first day at work has led to some understandable misunderstandings.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I would also add that when I first got my DLP, I saw the rainbows a lot more than I do now. In fact, I returned one of the very first HLM machines a year and a half ago because of rainbows, but on my HLN5065 they occur rarely enough that it's a non-issue now.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
back form my trip to j&r -.-

Re: DLP's... i didn't see no rainbow :( in fact, i tried darting my eyes around real quick.. i even played peek-a-boo putting my hand in front of my eyes, and darting in and out real quick.. no rainbows, though the sales rep was looking at me very oddly :D so that's a good sign.. although, on some sets i got a weird dizzy feeling (motion sickness?) or perhaps it was whatever they were feeding... for some reason they showed landscapes in italy and venice.. so a lot of shaky camcorder-type views :p i liked the look of the Pioneer (good lord the price!) and the Samsung's (maybe i'm leaning toward a samsung right now)

Plasma: ..maybe :p gotta check out the pricepoints.. the Wega's they had were awesome.. but i wasn't really there looking for plasma tv's... that's scouting for another night, mainly there to check out the dlp's, lcd's and lcos'..

Lcos: the only one they had was the sharp Aquos? ..it was "so-so", i'd sum it up like "Blah" :D wasn't that breathtaking.. it was ok.. helps me in doing my research since i now know how they look like and how the images move and are presented..

all in all i liked the Pioneer (good god the price! did i mention that?) and the Samsung and the Plasma Sony's..

surprisingly, i didn't really see too many Panasonic's (though i've read a lot of highly rated panasets)

htwaits: :) not my first day at work.. what gave you that suggestion? -.- i just said i spent my day as usual, not doing work cuz that's so not me :p so instead i started doing "homework"

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
htwaits: :) not my first day at work.. what gave you that suggestion? -.- i just said i spent my day as usual, not doing work cuz that's so not me :p so instead i started doing "homework"
I meant your first day at work at AVS Forums. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a Samsung DLP. But he and his wife both got headaches after watching the TV for an hour. He ended up returning the set.

I have been doing research for about a month. I was set on DLP until I spoke with my friend who had the trouble. He urged me to visit a few stores and check out the Sony WegaIII LCD sets. I was extremely impressed and was surprised to find the picture to be better than the DLP.

I'm going to wait at least a month or two for Sony to fix the GWIII issues and for supply to catch up with demand.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
I meant your first day at work at AVS Forums. ;)
pfft! :eek: i've had 28 posts.. that's like 1 post a day for a month.. almost.. i'm almost a veteran really! o_O

*ssssh's everyone who will mention multiple post a day*

:D i been here before, long long ago.. when upgrading my dvd player..

yup! (settled on Panasonic CP72 with the Faroudja chip--when you can still get them).. sadly, the same reason i came is the same reason i left.. and all i gotta say as to why is.. "ignorance is bliss"

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mfequity
A buddy of mine bought a Samsung DLP. But he and his wife both got headaches after watching the TV for an hour. He ended up returning the set.

I have been doing research for about a month. I was set on DLP until I spoke with my friend who had the trouble. He urged me to visit a few stores and check out the Sony WegaIII LCD sets. I was extremely impressed and was surprised to find the picture to be better than the DLP.

I'm going to wait at least a month or two for Sony to fix the GWIII issues and for supply to catch up with demand.
i can see why.. i was there for at most, half an hour and there were times that i got the "dizzy" feeling..

as for what i will buy.. i don't know yet.. that's why i started my legwork now.. i figure gather as much info, pros and cons and eventually make a good purchase :D

and for fun.. i clicked on my name and checked out my post history, LOL it's amazing how far avsforums' archives go.. the main reason i left avsforums..

~-crying- i love my cp72s but the sage dcdi doesnt even factor in unless ~you have an hdtv!!!! *bawling*

~SIGH

~ARGH

~-whimper-

"quote:

Originally posted by Jackman11

Gogglybear,

ya don't need hdtv.. just a progressive input. I'm using mine with a little 800x600 X1 projector. /quote"

~yeah still will cost what, $1,500??? :p basically i need around a grand to utilize this baby.. a grand i don't have

~argh

~i hate knowing.. i was blissful in my ignorance! now this knowledge is like that sore on the top of your mouth which would heal if only you'd stop tonguing it "

..that was me finding out that my brand-new spanking dvd player and tv set won't be able to fully work with each other since the Faroudja chip only comes into play when using progressive scan.. something my tv can't handle

ahh, fun fun fun -.-

·
2,436 Posts
The Sharp Aquos is an LCD display.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.