AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to move up from my old Samsung HLN437w to a 61". I want to get 1080p and Plasma is still too high a price point for me. I have been very pleased with DLP but I can find the JVC for about $300 less. If all things are even I would prefer to save the money. I have looked at the owner threads and most people are happy with both units. So I am on the fence and want to see if anyone has any info that could swing me either way. I plan to buy this weekend.

Thanks

ray

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Reason?

Samsung has improved their DLP TVs every year since introduction. It's possible 2007 will be the first year where their DLPs do not significantly improve, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The first of the new models are expected in March/April.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the new Samsungs will have the LED light engine which is certainly a nice plus but I have SO approval now and BB is has some good deals with 36mo no interest. This is also skewng me to the JVC since BB only seems to carry the Sammy 6187 and I would prefer the 6188.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd /forum/post/0

I believe the new Samsungs will have the LED light engine which is certainly a nice plus but I have SO approval now and BB is has some good deals with 36mo no interest. This is also skewng me to the JVC since BB only seems to carry the Sammy 6187 and I would prefer the 6188.

The only significant downside to DLP is "Rainbow Effect" (RBE). If you are one of the 10% who can see it, as I am, it can be anything from a minor annoyance to a major problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I'm have no problem with RBE and I have been a satisfied DLP owner for four years. If BB carried the sammy 6188 and it was the same price as the JVC I would probably get it since there are a couple input features on the sammy that the JVC doesn't have i.e multiple digital inputs so I can get both QAM and OTA at the same time and the firewire on the JVC seems limited to JVC devices.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd /forum/post/0

No, I'm have no problem with RBE and I have been a satisfied DLP owner for four years. If BB carried the sammy 6188 and it was the same price as the JVC I would probably get it since there are a couple input features on the sammy that the JVC doesn't have i.e multiple digital inputs so I can get both QAM and OTA at the same time and the firewire on the JVC seems limited to JVC devices.

If that's the case, you certainly don't have any reason not to get another DLP. As far as the JVC's are concerned, one of the problems with LCOS in general (JVC or Sony) is iffy screen uniformity. It is not as good as DLP. I just got a JVC 52FA97 yesterday and it has a huge yellow discoloration that covers about half of the screen.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dponeill /forum/post/0

The only significant downside to DLP is "Rainbow Effect" (RBE). If you are one of the 10% who can see it, as I am, it can be anything from a minor annoyance to a major problem.

I am curious dponeli- did you have to pass on DLP's despite their generally nice black levels and colors because of the rainbows? Or did you "settle" and just have to deal with it? I know I had to pass because it would drive me nuts. Worst I saw it was on a concert scene (HD) that was dark with alot of strobes and lights moving, it was there all over the place. I see it in RGB streaks about 8-10" long randomly.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb33 /forum/post/0

I am curious dponeli- did you have to pass on DLP's despite their generally nice black levels and colors because of the rainbows? Or did you "settle" and just have to deal with it? I know I had to pass because it would drive me nuts. Worst I saw it was on a concert scene (HD) that was dark with alot of strobes and lights moving, it was there all over the place. I see it in RGB streaks about 8-10" long randomly.

I chose to "settle" for the last lear and a half. At the time I bought the DLP it was the lesser of the various evils. I had tried a Sony Grand Wega and a JVC LCOS and the blacks were so bad that the RBE was more acceptable. If you see RBE Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" DVD would be another one that would really make them stand out. Also, looking at a convergence pattern will almost make your head spin!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went looking this morning and evaluated the picture of the Sony, JVC, Mitsubishi and Samsung. The Sony was the highest price followed by the Samy, JVA and then the Mits. Overall I liked the picture of the Samy and JVC over the Sony and Mits while my eyes thought the Samy was brighter and the JVC softer. In the end I think it came down to the case, I really was not thrilled with the raised stand and silver bezel on the JVC, the Samsung just looked nicer being one square unit and all black. So I went with the HLS6187W which will be delivered Tuesday.

I still really would have prefered the few additional features the HLS6188 has but I could only find 12mos no interest as opposed to 36mos and since the pictures are identical and I have a dvr, no current need for firewire or a QAM tuner I settled for the 87. Hope I don't regret that in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.