AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is beaten horse for most people but it has been a while since I have looked into buying a set.

Currently I own a Toshiba 57HDX CRT RPTV. The tv has served me well, but the wife wants us to get something that a little smaller footprint without loosing screen size. So we went to Fry's and saw the Mitsubishi DLP's and a few LCD tvs.

Now I have heard that DLP does not produce as good of a picture as a LCD tv. Is this true, or do the newer Mitsubishi units do just as well? I really like the band for the buck on screensize, but I want a tv that will hold up for a good 5 years. I currently mainly watch HDTV through Verizon FIOS and watch blu-ray movies. (all in 1080i since that is the limit of my tv).

Right now my main choices are:

Mitsubishi WD-65835

Vizio VF551XVT (when it comes out)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Currently I own a Toshiba 57HDX CRT RPTV.

I replaced a Toshiba 65H83 with a DLP

PQ is awesome

Quote:
I really like the band for the buck on screensize

The DLP is a winner

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have a 5 year old 46" DLP and have been very pleased with it. I am considering replacing it this fall with the Vizio VF551XVT since with our viewind distance I don't want larger then a 55" screen. Also this fall or winter will need another bulb and it has on occasion exhibited some other hardware related auto shut off problems.

Certainly DLPs are still a better bang for the buck and you could probably buy one now and in 2-3 years replace it with a unit like the Vizio for half the price they will be this fall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My opinion about Mitsubishi WD-65835 is that anyone who wants a big HD tv and doesnt need to put it on a wall or shell out a ton of cash, I would def. recomend this tv to anyone. Picture is great, no blur with action movies, cant wait to get a blue ray player for it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
As the Owner of a wd-65835 I can say that this set is exceptional and I couldn't imagine trading this set for anything short of a kuro. I have done a service menu level calibration on this set with Calman and an Eye One Pro, including color management system calibration and I can provide numbers if you like. This set id the most film like set I have ever owned and unlike a LCD that has inferior picture to DLP regardles of what you have herd, I can put my nose up to the screen and not see a single pixel or screen door effect. Try that with any LCD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.