AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of DLP or LCD RPTVs vs. DLP or LCD digital projectors? What are the reasons one selects a RPTV over a digital projector, or vice versa? Anyone have both types of units, and care to comment? I understand the pros/cons of DLP vs. LCD, but I can't find much info on RPTVs vs. digital projectors....

Thanks for you input,

Secant

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Wife acceptance factor in my case. I'd love to have a front projection DLP, and had a front projection crt/ home theater in my last house.

Front projection can be more expensive, and requires more planning. In my case, we went with DLP rear projection this time because while we like movies and high definition content, we don't want to dedicate a room to theater alone. With rear projection, as long as you don't go too large, you have most of the placement options of a regular tv set.

With front projection, you need more care in placement, lighting, wiring, selection of materials. Integrating 5.1 sound can be a challenge. People often put those da-lite and Stewart screens on the wall. Putting the speakers in front of the screen gets clumsy if you have towers, (you have to look past them.) You wouldn't want one near a window where sunlight was likely. Will you be okay with dedicating a room dark? I don't know about you, but we're always doing things to get more light, not less. But if you can dedicate a basement for example, front projection makes more sense.

Below is a picture of my old home theater. It was well planned, with lots of strong, directed lighting to illuminate the walls, while not washing out the screen. Also remember, you'll learn that your guests won't like sitting in the total darkness of your home theater forever. You need some theater lighting, on dimmers so they can see their drinks, find their way to the bathroom etc...practical concerns.

Note also, attention to acoustics, in the form of "live-end/dead-end" construction, whereby the area around the listener is acoustically live with hard reflective surfaces, but the area around the speakers is deadened with fabric covered, rigid architectural fiberglass panels and bass traps.

http://vsdrives.com/graphics/basement.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

Nice theater picture. I agree that more room control is definately needed for projectors. However, I keep watching the price of DLP and LCD RPTVs go higher, while the digital DLP and LCD projectors get lower, and thus wonder which is really the better buy? Digital projectors such as the Sony HS10 have really caught my attention, although the DLP RPTVs are very nice also...but more expensive. The choice between RPTV and front projection is extremely difficult...and I'm stuck in the "paralysis by analysis" mode...:confused:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I toyed with the idea of a front projection DLP/LCD. I considered retractable screens, putting one on a coffee table. But the reality for me is not quite so simple as showing slides or home movies because you have all the other equipment to consider, SAT receiver, DVD player, connections etc. Up on the ceiling, I've got ceiling fans in the way. So it's just not ideal for me.

You have to pay attention to "throw distance," and some of them are quite noisy. Some of the LCD (and DLP) types are noted for dust accumulations on the LCD panel, unfiltered fans, shorter rated bulb life, and questionable performance in daylight.

Ultimately, I just couldn't sell the wife on it though... :(

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Front projectors = screens of any size, often wide viewing angles.

Read projectors = better in ambient light, somewhat easier setup for most environments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.