AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to jump into Front projection TV (finally). I have a RPTV built-in the wall...so I'm adding this second option of front projection in front of my built-in RPTV. Been looking around for good deals...and very interested in Infocus x1 dlp projector w/ 1100 lumens, here's the dilemma:

I work for an electronic company that has lcd projection tv, and if I get it from where I work...will definitely get a good deal.....but we don't have a dlp projection. The lcd unit that I'm looking at is also 1100 lumens. How much or is there a difference on the image between a lcd and dlp w/ the same lumens....I apologize,this is probably a dumb question for somebody knowledgeable in this area...but I'm not.

So, can anyone help me on this? dlp or lcd

ps. another factor in this dilemma is the cost.

thanks,

allen11

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
First of all, you should ignore the manufacturer's lumen ratings. They are often overrated and nearly irrelevant for us HT users. In reality, pretty much every dedicated HT projector (either DLP or LCD) throws somewhere between 400-800 lumens after calibration (with the exception of the big light canons such as the Sanyo PLV-70), and all of them are plenty bright as long as you can control ambient light. In fact, the typical projected image is significantly brighter than that you watch in the movie theater.

That said, the primary difference in picture quality between the DLP and LCD technologies is that DLP projectors can produce blacker blacks and better shadow details. However, the difference is by no means dramatic. You may well be unable to tell the difference unless you see them side-by-side.

In return, some % of people (nobody knows the actual %'age) see and suffer from the rainbow artifact (color breaking) and/or a mysterious headache when they watch the image projected by a DLP projector. Many people have no complaints at all. Also, for a given pixel resolution, DLP projectors are more expensive than LCD.

So, neither technology is definitively better than the other for every person. Only you can decide which is better for you. I wish you a happy shopping! :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Look at as many diff. PJ's (in the price range you can afford) as you can.

DLP's as stated give better blacks, but "may" give you rainbows. LCD's "may" have (VB) vertical banding, screen door effect and pixelation annoyances.

But overall they both are great formats. I've been shopping for weeks and finally decided on a PJ and am extremely happy with it but, everybody sees and hears diff. to the next so no matter what ppl suggest its truly up to your personal choice.

So have fun demo'ing as many PJ's possible and read, read, read,,,:)

Jessica

·
Registered
119 Posts
I strongly recommend actually seeing a DLP before buying. With just about no place near me carrying any of the projectors I am interested in, I used reviews and specs to put the NEC 240 at the top of my list.

We happened to get a DLP projector in for business so I figured I'd give it a try watching a movie on it when the conference room was free. Granted it was a horrible source, but I almost got sick from the rainbows. It was horrible. The guy who I was watching it with barely noticed them at all.

Anyone can say whatever they want about better blacks etc, but that's not too useful when your projector makes your physically ill.

So my bottomline recommendation is that before you go DLP, get a demo and consider the possibility of adverse reaction with your guests. Otherwise, just stay safe with LCD.

-Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good question on the LCD vs. DLP. I was wondering the same thing, but afraid to ask:)

I was definately on the DLP bandwagon (especailly after seeing Attack of the Clones in a large public DLP theatre) thinking that this is the newest technology and must be better. (The DLP TV's are rather impressive from what I hear) After reading more about DLP and LCD's, I think I'm leaning on the LCD for a few reasons. I want very good pciture quality for TV and DVDs, I'd like to work/play PC software, and the price factor.

Question: Isn't there a 2nd generation DLP chip out? (or is that only on the TV's). When might we expect a 2nd generations DLP chip in a projector in this sub-$5000 category? Any news if there is going to be a model change for the Sony HS 10 this year? (eventually yes, but wondering about this year)

P.S. I would have to drive at least 2 hours for anyone to understand what a DLP TV or projector is. (store outlet) So it looks like I'll be doing lots of research on this board to narrow down my choices. I wish I could demo all these nice projectors...

Truly,

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.