AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all new to this stuff and just trying to get a grip on what TV to buy. I've been looking at the following HDTV's in the $4k to 4.5k range:

Mitsu WD-62525

Samsung HLP6163

Samsung HLP5685

Sony KF60WE610

I didn't really like the reflection of the screen on the Mitsu because it will be in a highly light room. Between all four of them, I really liked the 5685 and the Sony WE610. However, I'm really unsure about the contrast (especially the blacks) on the WE610. What do people recommend for a HDTV in this price range? I mostly watch regular TV and sports (will be going to HD cable soon). I will ocassionally watch DVD's and they are usually action type movies (probably watch more DVD's with a nicer TV). I'm just looking for the best one to fit my needs. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not sure if the 5685 will be too small. It's going into a 25' x 21' great room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
People who bought DLPs will tell you to go with the HLP6163, and those who bought LCDs will tell you to go with the Sony. You really need to go with whichever looks best to your eyes after comparing them in several stores (nobody else can tell you which will look best to your eyes). You really can't go wrong with either set. It's just a matter of personal preference. Just make sure you don't see rainbows with DLPs (most do not). And I'd go with 60-62" in such a large room.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is no easy answer to this question !! As Bill said you can't go wrong with any of them. I had a Mits DLP for two weeks and returned it due to glare and rainbows. I now have a Sony LCD and love it !!!

Good luck and just enjoy whichever one you choose !!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.